Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another bombshell for Frau Merkel ?

Blog Entries
    Although I don't follow much non-English political drama, I think the next election to watch is coming right up. Austrians are redoing their vote on the 4th of December and, it seems to me, that the FPO and Hofer have a slightly above 50% chance to win the thing outright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austri...election,_2016
    So with the courage of a clown, or a cur, or a kite jerkin tight at it's tether

Closed
    Thanks Clopin. The American networks don't cover this sort of thing at all, and even BBC America (which I watch every night) is surprisingly sparse. I also watch Deutsche Welle news (from Berlin), which does cover it, but they are so pro-globalist that I have to decode everything they say. It's really amazing how much is not said in the supposed age of information.

Blog Entries
    My understanding is that the next big vote is an Italian referendum on December 4th although I don't have much detail on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Thank you. That clarifies what I had heard. If France goes with Le Pen, maybe Parliament will begin to see the hand writing on the wall. And of course if AfD beats Merkel it's game over. But I think that (an AfD victory, not one for FN) is unlikely.
    I follow French politics closely because they are the key to the whole European situation. Two days ago, the conservatives elected Francois Fillon, a former Prime Minister under Sarkozy's presidency, as their standard bearer to fight Marine Le Pen.
    Le Pen has a 25% possibility of winning but French politics are a very devious affair with all sorts of shifting alliances, so nothing's certain.
    The AfD is Germany's best hope of saving the country from the annihilation which is mad Merkel's aim. Merkel has just said she intends to run for a forth term: it beggars belief that any indigenous German would vote for the most destructive politician in Europe but the German MSM have been grooming the populace for some time.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    it beggars belief that any indigenous German would vote for the most destructive politician in Europe but the German MSM have been grooming the populace for some time.
    I got that impression very strongly watching Deutsche Welle News. The American MSM just failed epically in its attempt to coronate Clinton, though, so perhaps there's hope for Germany. Sometimes network overreach insults viewer intelligence, or sometimes people just figure it out. Do you really think AfD has a shot?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    I follow French politics closely because they are the key to the whole European situation. Two days ago, the conservatives elected Francois Fillon, a former Prime Minister under Sarkozy's presidency, as their standard bearer to fight Marine Le Pen.
    Le Pen has a 25% possibility of winning but French politics are a very devious affair with all sorts of shifting alliances, so nothing's certain.
    The AfD is Germany's best hope of saving the country from the annihilation which is mad Merkel's aim. Merkel has just said she intends to run for a forth term: it beggars belief that any indigenous German would vote for the most destructive politician in Europe but the German MSM have been grooming the populace for some time.
    I've heard mixed reviews from Frenchies I interact with on a different message board; some are saying that Fillon is the worst possible result because he's the sort of right wing politician who might draw votes from a significant overlap with some potential FN voters (a Hillary Clinton he is not, apparently), and he's most likely the 'lesser evil' candidate for those who just don't want to see France made great again under Le Pen. Others, though, tell me that (aside from getting Sarkozy) this is possibly the best news for the FN as Fillon's socially conservative views are a hindrance. Most of the individuals I talk to say they think FN will win, and I don't think it's a simple matter of bias because the same users of the same board were laughing at the very notion just a few years ago. I'm sure the reporting in France is similar to what we've just seen in America and the UK during their recent votes. Poll rigging and a total media embargo.

I got that impression very strongly watching Deutsche Welle News. The American MSM just failed epically in its attempt to coronate Clinton, though, so perhaps there's hope for Germany. Sometimes network overreach insults viewer intelligence, or sometimes people just figure it out. Do you really think AfD has a shot?
    It's difficult to say. Frauke Petry, the AfD leader, like Merkel, is an 'Ossie': that's to say that she was born in East Germany where there is a sociological divide from the 'Wessies' which is where Merkel's support lies.
    There is a feeling in the west of the country that the 'Ossies' should be grateful for having their part of Germany bailed out by the Bundesrepublik following the collapse of Communism and not rock the boat about mass immigration.
    So while AfD have significant support in the former communist Germany, the well-heeled, comfortable western half appears to be Merkel's domain.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Quote Originally Posted by Clopin View Post
    I've heard mixed reviews from Frenchies I interact with on a different message board; some are saying that Fillon is the worst possible result because he's the sort of right wing politician who might draw votes from a significant overlap with some potential FN voters (a Hillary Clinton he is not, apparently), and he's most likely the 'lesser evil' candidate for those who just don't want to see France made great again under Le Pen. Others, though, tell me that (aside from getting Sarkozy) this is possibly the best news for the FN as Fillon's socially conservative views are a hindrance. Most of the individuals I talk to say they think FN will win, and I don't think it's a simple matter of bias because the same users of the same board were laughing at the very notion just a few years ago. I'm sure the reporting in France is similar to what we've just seen in America and the UK during their recent votes. Poll rigging and a total media embargo.
    Yes it's amazing that Fillon got such massive support. Although he has been lying low for some years, he has never completely disappeared from the scene.
    Alain Juppé the Mayor of Bordeaux, had been given lots of coverage in the French media as the man to save France from the FN, but while he and Sarkozy spent all of their time fighting each other, Fillon came through to overtake both in the final months of the of the campaign.
    I was hoping Sarkozy would win because he would have been likely to have done a deal with the FN but it's being acknowledged that the FN has a better chance against Fillon than Juppé

Closed
    Who says we don't want immigrants?

http://www.politico.eu/article/nigel...us-ambassador/
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 11-24-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Who says we don't wan't immigrants?

http://www.politico.eu/article/nigel...us-ambassador/
    No you can't have him, he belongs in the country he saved from the 4th Reich.

Closed
    How about if we make him ambassador to Great Britain?

How about if we make him ambassador to Great Britain?
    If, like Boris Johnson, he'd been born in the US, he would probably be President by now.

Blog Entries
    How funny would it be if BOJO was prime minister right now? Trump and Trumper, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Regarding the discussion that Clopin and Orphan Pip are having about some Canadian law, it seems that the side Orphan Pip is supporting is politically naive. They are counting on the Canadian federal government to be able to defend them and to police whatever that legislation is they want to pass. It doesn't matter what that legislation is. What matters is they are annoying a psychology professor and others like Clopin enough to generate a potential backlash and they are too dumb to see coming.
    If we don't trust the government to effectively enforce laws why would we pass legislation of any kind? The idea that the problem can be reduced to the fact that it annoys Clopin and a psychology professor (not to negate their experiences) is what is naive. Whose life is more affected by this legislation? This legislation will protect trans people from employment discrimination in federal services and standardize the treatment of trans people by federal regulated sectors like banking or immigration. On one hand, the legislation will provide tangible protections and help to a group of people who, I feel, deserve that help. On the other hand, the opposition is annoyed at an impossible scenario that will never happen. When I weigh the two sides in simple utilitarian terms, the bill does far more good than any imagined harm.

Also, Canadian law already provides ample grounds for provincial governments to oppose the charter change if they see fit. Provinces can enact the not-withstanding clause to ignore the federal charter of rights for legislation as long as they keep voting on the act in 5 year intervals. Quebec does this with Bill 101, the protection of the french language law, with respect to the regulation of schools which states the language of education in Quebec is restricted to French for immigrants. The only people who could be educated in an English public school in my home province were members of the "historic minority" of anglos like my family, this was later amended to allow the children of parents educated in English elsewhere in Canada as well. This is unconstitutional but the Quebec government votes regularly to maintain the act.

Section 33 of the Charter:

Section 33.

(1) Parliament or the legislature of a province may expressly declare in an Act of Parliament or of the legislature, as the case may be, that the Act or a provision thereof shall operate notwithstanding a provision included in section 2 or sections 7 to 15.
    (2) An Act or a provision of an Act in respect of which a declaration made under this section is in effect shall have such operation as it would have but for the provision of this Charter referred to in the declaration.
    (3) A declaration made under subsection (1) shall cease to have effect five years after it comes into force or on such earlier date as may be specified in the declaration.
    (4) Parliament or the legislature of a province may re-enact a declaration made under subsection (1).
    (5) Subsection (3) applies in respect of a re-enactment made under subsection (4).
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 11-25-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by Clopin View Post
    How funny would it be if BOJO was prime minister right now? Trump and Trumper, lol.
    The hilarious thing is that about year ago, Boris was asked for his autograph by someone who spotted him in New York and had mistaken him for Donald Trump.
    It's the hair that does it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast