Thread: O'Brien

O'Brien

Was O'Brien ever apart of The Brotherhood or against the Party? He mentions to Winston about the dream where they would meet in a place with no darkness, is this mean't to be interpreted as the Ministry of Love building?

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolatecolors View Post
    Was O'Brien ever apart of The Brotherhood or against the Party? He mentions to Winston about the dream where they would meet in a place with no darkness, is this mean't to be interpreted as the Ministry of Love building?
    I believe O'Brien is a longstanding member the ruling elite but pretends otherwise to destabilize Winston. The place with no darkness is indeed the torture rooms in the building of the ironically named Ministry of Love.
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    I believe O'Brien is a longstanding member the ruling elite but pretends otherwise to destabilize Winston. The place with no darkness is indeed the torture rooms in the building of the ironically named Ministry of Love.
    I agree with this, I don't think that O'Brien was ever on Winston's side and he was just trying to throw him off to make it seem like he was a rebel when in reality he is a devoted Inner Party member that wanted to get Winston in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    I agree as well, I believe O'Brien had a feeling that Winston was into rebellion, resulting in his sudden interest of Winston and Julia. The place with no darkness could be thought to be Room 101, in my opinion. The room that withholds unbearable and inhumane torture.