Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland

Wolverine

I have learned a lot about the wolverine, Sweden's only member of the scavenger family among mammals that Sweden has in some numbers. The Wikipedia page on wolverines was particularly informative. Its numbers have been in decline and now are restricted to Norrland. They are shy of human contact, and can be best described as being like a small bear.

A prime characteristic of wolverines is a powerful jaw that can crack bones, and the ability to bring down animals much larger than themselves.

There is a town called Järvsö north of Gävle. In English the Järv part of the name means "Wolverine" in Swedish. I also watched the one-hour programme on scavengers in Sweden Mitt i Naturen, which was shown recently on SVT1.

I didn't realise the scavenger family was so large, including hedgehogs, blowflies, vultures and crows:

Well-known scavengers of animal material include vultures, burying beetles, blowflies, yellowjackets, and raccoons. Many large carnivores that hunt regularly, such as hyenas, but also animals rarely thought of as scavengers, such as African lions, leopards, jackals, and wolves will scavenge if given the chance. They may also use their size and ferocity to intimidate the original hunters (the cheetah is a notable exception). Almost all scavengers above insect size will hunt if not enough carrion is available, as few ecosystems provide enough dead animals year-round to keep its scavengers fed on that alone. Scavenger wild dogs and crows frequently exploit roadkill. Despite its reputation as a ferocious freshwater predator, the red-bellied piranha is actually a generally timid scavenger, fulfilling a role similar to vultures on land. Scavengers of dead plant material include termites that build nests in grasslands and then collect dead plant material for consumption within the nest. The interaction between scavenging animals and humans is seen today most commonly in suburban settings with animals such as opossums, polecats and raccoons. In some African towns and villages, scavenging from hyenas is also common. (An extract from the Wikipedia page on scavengers)

Like many scavengers, wolverines have been hunted almost to the point of extinction. Their fur was valued for its warmth and strength.

Wolverine population has been recovering since 1969 when it was protected in Sweden. Counts are taken periodically using an agreed method with Norway to ensure the two countries are comparable. This website is in Swedish but contains information and map distributions: http://www.naturvardsverket.se/Var-n.../Jakt-pa-jarv/

I have included el gulo extensively in my own fiction. Mining camps and other rough regions of the old west were keen on animal fights. Emporer Maximilian of Mexico once imported an African lion to fight a grizzly. The grizzly is said to have dispatched the lion easily. That is a grizzly story, I know.

Interesting, desiresjab, the wolverine is known to have defeated other animals up to several times its own size.

I have just joined the LitNet nature lovers group for those who love all aspects of nature. Wolverines and the other nature posts/threads like birds (Canadian Goose thread), and trees (Rowan and Birch Trees thread) are the other threads I started.
    Last edited by Dreamwoven; 12-07-2016 at 06:49 AM.

There was a TV series (three one-hour programmes) on wolves in Yellowstone National Park. It followed a female wolf that created its own wolf-flock and defended it against other wolves. Very interesting, though I have only seen the first two programmes so far.

European Pine Marten

I watched about 20 minutes of a one hour TV programme on Venice and its archipelago. A brief part included the European pine marten, showing how it raided a bird's nest for eggs. Nature in the archipelago is very rich, especially bird life. You can read about this animal here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_pine_marten.

I watched a TV programme on the African Lion, though it was about the lion in India. See this wikipedia item on Lion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I thought first this thread was about the film. I´m glad it is about mamals. The Pine Martin looks cute.

Jaguar
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I watched a TV programme on the African Lion, though it was about the lion in India. See this wikipedia item on Lion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion.
    It was certainly a lion and not any other animal, and it fed on food left there by hunters. I think it may have been on a reservation. The lion and humans seemed to get on well together.

Blog Entries
    Sure, DW!I love lions. I am just adding other mamals to the thread.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

I hope this thread doesn't develop into a forum games thread. I pride myself on being able to say something new about animals or birds in my threads. I guess in that sense I am different from most others, many of whom "collect" threads. For me its the opposite, saying what I want to say in the fewest number of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I thought first this thread was about the film. I´m glad it is about mamals. The Pine Martin looks cute.

Jaguar
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar
    The jaguar is a very elegant animal, sleek and powerful. It would be a shame if it became extinct.

Blog Entries
    I don´t want to turn it into a game, DW! My idea is just add other species to the animal threads as a sort of dialogue. There are many Northern species of birds and other animals that I don´t know and there are Southern species I don´t know about. But if you don´t want the threads to be developed that way you just say so.

Great, thats the way to do it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast