Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Free Your Mind of the Propaganda

Free Your Mind of the Propaganda

There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Terror View Post
    Good post. I have not read Bernays' book, but the article (your first link) by John Pilger is convincing.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I am familiar with the CounterPunch website, good post. I was old enough to understand the first Cold War, to know that a lot that passes for news is in fact propaganda of one sort or another. So I am aware that we are in a sense returing to the 1950s in terms of unreliable news. The Guardian newspaper is the most blatant example of this, I used to subscribe to its free internet service but dropped it once it became a propaganda device.

Blog Entries
    Propaganda is possible because of the underlying power of social networks in our species. Here is another book on the subject by Nicholas Christakis, "Connected : the surprising power of our social networks and how they shape our lives".

The underlying message of the book is that we influence each other more than we realize. Although I might be getting this idea wrong, what I remember from the book is the idea that influence can be measured with statistical significance to the third level. That is, when we are posting here, we influence each other at the first level. However, those who know us but who haven't read the post are influenced through us at a second level. What is surprising is that even the people who know them but do not know us are influenced. I assume the influence continues indefinitely, but the measurements are not statistically significant.

There are also the ideas of herding and social mood that relate to the concept of propaganda and they show that propaganda, which can be viewed as a deliberate attempt to spook or move the herd, can backfire. The explicit intent of the propaganda may not be in line with social mood. What happens then? The candidate one is promoting loses the election. The product one is marketing does not sell. The idea one is presenting does not "catch on".