Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Travel - anyone else not interested?

Travel - anyone else not interested?

I'm a college student and a lot of people in college are very interested in travel and doing a lot of it and I find it doesn't appeal to me at all. Is there anyone else (regardless of whether you're a college student or not) who's simply not interested in traveling?

I am very interested in travel however most people where I live are not.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    I don't travel, almost at all. I like the UK but it has been 3 years since I last visited and no travels since then. I am getting a diploma in translations and I am just amazed where these girls have travelled to learn a language, I wouldn't do that. My mom tries to convince me regularly to take a trip with her and my son just around the rock we live on and I see no point.

Staycations for me thanks
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

I've never travelled in my life, although I'd like to. A lot of people I am associated with travel lots and maybe that's influenced how I feel about it.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy traveling but it's expensive. Living for so long in Asia makes me long to travel to familiar places. Next time I travel I hope it's to either Canada or the US.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I love the idea of travelling and recently have started doing so more often but I prefer in small doses, over shorter periods of time.

What is your ideal or most wanted destination?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    My work has involved travel for many years, but even as a young man I got the travel bug.

Still have destinations on my bucket list.

If I add it up, as a tourist I visited: France, Spain, Holland, Minorca, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Germany, Greece, Yugoslavia, Turkey, Morocco, South Africa, Jamaica, Mexico and the Philippines.

For work: Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Iran, China, Papua New Guinea, Canada, Singapore, and currently Vietnam.
    Last edited by MANICHAEAN; 01-09-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Travelling is one of the best things a person can do. You know new cultures, new people, new habits, new realities in a way no book, movie, documentary or newspaper can make you know. There's nothing like travel, like contact directly with another countries to know what's behond our own world.

I have visited some countries and continents so far, but there's still many that i want to visit: i would like to visit Argentina, Brasil, Mozambique, China, Canada, Great Britain, Germany, Scotland...

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I suspect it depends upon how you define ‘travel’. For many people this is all about destination, about seeing a different culture or visiting or experiencing another country or city. Most people, in my experience, don’t like ‘travel’ but like to visit different places. For example, in UK the annual holiday involving some beach somewhere, often Spain or Turkey or Egypt for the more (or less) adventurous is a mainstay, in fact almost an expectation. But this, to me, is not really travelling. Travelling is as much about the process of moving from one destination to another as it is the destination itself. Of course it helps if the destination is of interest, but the way of getting there is the heart of ‘travel’ to me.

I am not a fan of flying. Well, that’s not entirely true. Flying itself is an amazing thing, the fact that we are able to propel ourselves above the earth is something extraordinary. However, everything that sits around that extraordinary act is designed to make the experience as unpleasant as possible. Airports tend to be in out of the way places, difficult to get to. The process of getting through the airport is horrifying: queues, security practices designed to be both tedious and humiliating, complicated rules, more queues, the soulless ‘duty free’ shopping district, the hours of waiting around moving from waiting place to waiting place, more queuing, the cramped confines of the aircraft which seem to be squeezing seats smaller whilst people grow larger, several cramped and unpleasant hours in the air where the cabin crew thrust rubbishy food at you and try to sell you things (yes, I mean you Ryanair), only to land and repeat the tedium, queuing and security at the other end where you find yourself, again, in the middle of nowhere with more travelling to do before you reach your final destination. Air transport is sold to us as the ‘fast’ way to travel, and if you’re travelling from UK to the Far East then yes it’s faster than going overland, but for most journeys if you take into account the end to end timing it’s quicker, and more pleasant, to take a train.

A couple of years back my family and I took a trip around Europe travelling only by ground (or sea) based methods. We left UK and visited France, Italy, Germany and Belgium using only trains, trams, the occasional taxi, buses, boats and ferries. It was a marvellous trip. We have seen the insides of many train stations, we took a sleeper train on which no one slept and through which we saw lots of Switzerland shadowy in the dark, we took an overnight ferry and the awe-inspiring train journey from Italy to Germany via the Brenner pass in the company of a very erudite and wonderful Danish man named Jan. My kids especially enjoyed the rickety old Circumvesuviana train, which is clattery and ancient and rattles its way around the base of Vesuvius and which is only bearable if you stand in the front carriage letting the wind blast you cool. These are memories which will stay with us all for life, but the sense of freedom which comes from the ease with which it is possible to go mostly anywhere is a gift which can only be gained through experience.

Alfred001 I think you might enjoy reading Jenny Diski’s On Trying to Keep Still. Jenny Diski, who sadly passed away last year, was a ‘travel’ writer who didn’t see herself as one and who preferred staying still and being quiet by herself. The book is a very amusing take on her efforts to go nowhere. Or if you fancy reading something which will whet your appetite for travel then Dervla Murphy’s Full Tilt is marvellous, or Paul Theroux’s The Great Railway Bazaar for a slightly more cynical take on the travel experience or Alain de Botton's The Art of Travel for a more philosophical approach.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Closed
    Hello Robert. Welcome to the site. I started traveling when I was a very young adult and made it as "hard traveling" as I could. I roughed it through the Middle East, including parts that are closed off today (Syria, for example). A few years later I joined the Peace Corps and lived a while in equatorial Africa. In time, I married a girl from the Far East. Early in our marriage she was interested in seeing Europe, so we did that. Later on we traveled through China (including Xinjiang) and Cambodia; and I ended up spending months at a time in Taiwan. Oh, and I guess we also went to Morrocco at one point.

Can you believe how sick I am of traveling? Well, not really, but I am truly glad that I did all that when I was young and can turn to other things now. So yes, travel and take your friends. The world is a beguiling and false place, but you can have a laugh and get a real education there.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 07-01-2019 at 01:04 PM.

I love to travel -- for one thing, it's necessary for my hobby of mountaineering. I just got back from two weeks in Colorado, I've been to Yosemite already this spring, I'm going to the Sierras again in August and then in October I'm off to Morocco and Spain. Travel intensifies life -- at home I sometimes get lazy and watch TV instead of reading. I generally camp out, and as a result I often read 2 or 3 long novels a week while travelling.

MY brother (with whom I just spent time in Colorado) refuses to fly, although he loves to travel, because it increase his carbon footprint. I admire him for giving up something he loves.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    MY brother (with whom I just spent time in Colorado) refuses to fly, although he loves to travel, because it increase his carbon footprint. I admire him for giving up something he loves.
    Yeah, I seldom fly now and don't even drive much. Sometimes I have to run my lawnmower all day just to maintain a decent carbon footprint. ;-) You're going to love Morocco. The Atlas Mountains are beautiful and remote, or they were when I was there. And the Berbers are a warm and interesting people. Have a great trip!

I don't get to travel overseas often but I do travel out of town at least once a month or every two months. I have a pickup truck that I used to modify and use for long hours of driving. I recently installed a roll-n-lock tonneau cover and bed extension so I could improve my cargo management and security when I go camping. I love driving long hours, listening to music, doing some sightseeing.
    Last edited by caffeinatedboy; 07-05-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred001 View Post
    I'm a college student and a lot of people in college are very interested in travel and doing a lot of it and I find it doesn't appeal to me at all. Is there anyone else (regardless of whether you're a college student or not) who's simply not interested in traveling?
    Wanting to travel is subjective. If I'm going somewhere to do something that I want to do then yes, I wouldn't mind. The majority of the time though I'm not dreaming up new travel plans and wondering where I would like to go. I'm not a total vegetable though I would rather sit at home and enjoy my time that way.

I love to travel but usually I can not afford to journey around for more than three or four days. Maximum a week at a time!
    It is definitely easier to travel in Europe; a lot of people I know hitchhike. I do not but I do not mind sharing for example a bunk bed in a shared room in youth hostels with nine other girls!
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.