Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Future library

Blog Entries

Future library

It was announced today that the third writer to take part in the project Katie Paterson started, 'the Future library' is one of Iceland's most brilliant author.

I am always a bit surprised when someone from the ice gets such recognition but I shouldn't be, we have brilliant people in most fields and arts is a big one here.

The author is Sjón, if you haven't read anything by him I highly recommend his work, anything you can get your hands on.

But that brings me to my thoughts on this project. I will be dead when the manuscripts will be published and I find that very sad, really, really sad actually.

The first two writers are Margaret Atwood and David Mithcell.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why should you be dead, Helga? Is the launching date so far of?
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    in a hundred years, 2114, so unless I will live to be a 130 or so, I won't be able to read them

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...n-installation
    Last edited by Helga; 10-15-2016 at 04:33 AM.

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link, Helga. I enjoyed the Sjón interview and will see if I can find any of his works (translated). I you could suggest any titles that would be so nice!
    As for the library, until the hundred years are over, much water will pass below the bridge, as we say here. It is an interesting project, but I wonder how it is going to be furthered if even the Swedish academy is losing the interest in books. And although I love books I don´t like the part of cutting so many trees to make books.
    Anyway neither we nor even LitNet will live to see the results.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    I would certainly recommend his latest book 'Moonstone: the boy who never was' I know it has been translated it is a brilliant story about a gay teenager in 1918 here on they ice. One of my favourite also 'The Blue Fox' mentioned in the interview is brilliant and has mythical aspects, thoughts on mythical animals and treatment of people who are mentally challenged. He is a bit surreal at times but brilliant.

Blog Entries
    I´ll see what I can find here in the tropics (35şC today, and that at the beginning of spring). The Blue Fox
    sounds interesting.