Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob Dylan Wins An Award

riding a cosmic vortex MystyrMystyry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bob Dylan Wins An Award

And some award - not less than the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature!

I'm not sure about this, not least because so much of his writing existed in lyric form, rather than even entire short stories, but also that shouldn't he be up for a Hall Of Fame Grammy Award instead? Or is that reserved for rock'n'roll?

But anyway, controversial congratulations Mr Zimmerman

Blog Entries
    I am glad he won.

Closed
    I won the Nobel Praaaaaaaaaaaaaze.
    That just shows you what happens to a fellow who traaaaaaaaaaaze.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan
    The Pulitzer Prize jury in 2008 awarded him a special citation for "his profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power."
    Most worthy in my humble opinion. I remember having discussions in a HS English class eons ago on his lyrics.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Bob Dylan is a cultural icon, his songs and lyrics are universal, he is a voice of many generations.

But as there were also consecrated fiction writers in the running I wonder if the academy itself isn´t getting tired of fiction!

Good for Bob Dylan, bad for fiction!
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Closed
    Fiction is just a bunch of laaaaaaaaaaaaze.
    Wonder where I'll put my Nobel Praaaaaaaaaaaze.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I was flabbergasted by the decision - I thought I'd misheard it at first. Bob Dylan? Really?

When you consider that the hotly tipped nominees were Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Haruki Murakami and Philip Roth - all writers of great merit and artistry - it seems rather perverse that the prize should go to someone who is first and foremost a musician.

In an era where reading as a pastime is in decline around the globe, giving the Nobel to an ageing rockstar instead of a serious novelist or poet seems a poor choice.

Sure, some of his songs are quite good - but strip away the music, look at them purely as poetry, and hold them up to some of the greats. Do they really compare? Really? Or is that just nostalgia talking?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Literature" is not limited to "fiction". Poetry, plays/theater, essays, criticism... and yes, lyrics/librettos are forms of literature. The announcement of Dylan's award stated, 'The Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 was awarded to Bob Dylan "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition".' This seems a legitimate argument to me. Dylan is one of the few song-writers whose lyrics can and do stand on their own... and I say this as one who has argued that most song lyrics... even many within the realm of Classical Music... do not stand on their own as fine poetry. I understand Lokasenna's argument that there are many "pure" poets and novelists and short-story writers who were passed over in favor of Dylan. But there are many truly great writers who were ignored or passed over (James Joyce, Leo Tolstoy, Anton Chekhov, Marcel Proust, Henrik Ibsen, Henry James, Italo Calvino, J.L. Borges, etc...). Of course the prize "for Literature" is often awarded equally based upon non-literary considerations... socio-political and cultural issues. While Derek Walcott was not undeserving of recognition, he was clearly and admittedly selected for the award in 1992... the 500th anniversary of Columbus' "discovery" of the Americas... as a representative of the Americas (excluding North America which had already been recognized a good deal) who was not of Spanish heritage. Toni Morrison was selected for both her merits as a writer and as a representative of African American culture. Obviously, the Nobel Committee makes some attempt to recognize writers from an array of cultural backgrounds as well as writers working across a vast spectrum of what might be termed "literature". Personally, I'd like to see the Nobel Prize widen its scope of cultural recognitions further and include awards for Music, Film, and the Visual Arts among other areas.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Closed
    Now, some are dumb and some are waaaaaaaaaaaaze,
    But I'm the one with the Nobel Praaaaaaaaaaaaze!

*Harmonica*

"How many times must a man look up before he can see the sky?"

Hmmm. Let me guess. One?

Blog Entries
    I was surprised at first and for a second I thought to myself 'are they giving out Nobels for music now?' but no for literature.

I do think that many lyrics out there today are so much crap that this is positive and he is a brilliant artist. The writers on the 'short list' are brilliant too though so a part of me is a bit perplexed.

Happy in general
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Tupac, Biggie and Kanye are all worthy of at least a Pulitzer. Many literary greats found their ways to senate and parliamentary seats once they were established icons. We can only hope these contemporary gentlemen of literature will impart some of their wisdom to the political process as well. Who wouldn't back Jay-Z, Bruce Springsteen or Half A Buck for a cabinet post?

Quote Originally Posted by MystyrMystyry View Post
    And some award - not less than the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature!

I'm not sure about this, not least because so much of his writing existed in lyric form, rather than even entire short stories, but also that shouldn't he be up for a Hall Of Fame Grammy Award instead? Or is that reserved for rock'n'roll?

But anyway, controversial congratulations Mr Zimmerman
    It says more about the Nobel Prize Committee than the pop singer.
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 10-22-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    It says more about the Nobel Prize Committee than the pop singer.
    That's true.

Although I don't mind seeing Bob Dylan win a prize, I don't think winning the prize is going to increase his brand's market share. I really don't care who wins the Nobel Prizes. I am not going to listen to Bob Dylan more so now than before and I haven't listened to any of his songs in years.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    It seems that Bob Dylan himself is very reticent of the Nobel. He is said to have taken the mention of the award out of his site. The fact is that there is no mention whatever on it:
    http://bobdylan.com/
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast