Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: I require help to understand this...

  1. #1

    I require help to understand this...

    kanzenshuu.com/translations/daizenshuu-4-akira-toriyama-best/

    You can see the full interview above. In one question, it appears that the interviewee is commenting on Akira Toriyama's thoughts. However, this phrase seems to be Akira Toriyama:

    Out of all your characters, which one is the most (blank)?

    Cool: Goku

    I think it’s Goku.” The always pure strongest in the universe. Goku is #1 after all!

    The word 'the' is used to point forward to a following qualifying or defining clause or phrase. It appears to be the connecting point between two thoughts. So Akira Toriyama is basically stating "I think it's Goku and this is why." Furthermore, the part 'The always pure strongest in the universe. Goku is #1 after all!' appears to an independent clause.

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by t0sh; 10-12-2016 at 10:45 AM.

  2. #2
    lichtrausch lichtrausch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    137
    It's absolutely pointless to do close textual analysis of a translation, especially one between a language pair as distant as English-Japanese. Nuances are lost and changed in practically every sentence. For example there isn't even a word in Japanese that corresponds to the word "the".

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by t0sh View Post
    kanzenshuu.com/translations/daizenshuu-4-akira-toriyama-best/

    You can see the full interview above. In one question, it appears that the interviewee is commenting on Akira Toriyama's thoughts. However, this phrase seems to be Akira Toriyama:

    Out of all your characters, which one is the most (blank)?

    Cool: Goku

    I think it’s Goku.” The always pure strongest in the universe. Goku is #1 after all!

    The word 'the' is used to point forward to a following qualifying or defining clause or phrase. It appears to be the connecting point between two thoughts. So Akira Toriyama is basically stating "I think it's Goku and this is why." Furthermore, the part 'The always pure strongest in the universe. Goku is #1 after all!' appears to an independent clause.

    Thoughts?
    Fluent Japanese speakers have already regarded his translations as accurate. Please don't respond unless you with you contribute to the thread,

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    lichtrausch lichtrausch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by t0sh View Post
    Fluent Japanese speakers have already regarded his translations as accurate. Please don't respond unless you with you contribute to the thread,

    Thanks.
    I'm a professional Japanese translator. And my contribution is to tell you you're wasting your time.

  5. #5
    Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the South East of England
    Posts
    1,238
    I can't understand Japanese, but I can understand English and the words "The always pure strongest in the universe. Goku is #1 after all!" strike me as illiterate.
    Previously JonathanB

    The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

  6. #6
    lichtrausch lichtrausch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    137
    The OP reminds me of the fellow described here:

    "[P]hilosophers do not think the same way as philologists. I will give you one example. Many years ago I was interviewing candidates for an important university scholarship, and one candidate was said to be the best philosopher of his year at the University of Oxford. He told us that he was studying the concept of “God” in Augustine, and that he was focusing on the difference in Augustine’s writings between “a god” and “the god” and “God”. I thought about this for a minute or two, and then asked, “But Augustine wrote in Latin, which has neither a definite nor an indefinite article. So how can you tell whether he meant ‘the god’ or ‘God’ or ‘a god’ when he wrote deus?”

    The brilliant young philosopher gaped at me. He had not thought of that (I expect he was working from an English translation). He did not get the scholarship, and all the philosophers were very angry with me, but what could I say? I am a philologist. I know very little of concepts of god, and I do not presume to say what Augustine may have meant by deus, but I do know something about grammar."

    http://pages.walking-tree.org/sample..._pp007-027.pdf

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,099
    I know nothing of Japanese but I do know several languages dispense with articles. It is usually obvious what is meant though when translating. If the question was about an audio recording that may make a difference. We don't normally converse quite as we write. I'd imagine the Japanese are much the same unless they are all incredibly refined.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lichtrausch View Post
    I'm a professional Japanese translator. And my contribution is to tell you you're wasting your time.
    If you are a professional Japanese translator as opposed to a fluent Japanese speaker, I would like to request that you translate the following passages; specifically the bottom left two with Goku:

    comic.dragonballcn.com/list/0.Dragon_Ball-buyao_daolian_ya/0.jp_Kanzenban/DRAGONBALLvol34/044-j0EgV.jpg

  9. #9
    lichtrausch lichtrausch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayleeee View Post
    If you are a professional Japanese translator as opposed to a fluent Japanese speaker, I would like to request that you translate the following passages; specifically the bottom left two with Goku:

    comic.dragonballcn.com/list/0.Dragon_Ball-buyao_daolian_ya/0.jp_Kanzenban/DRAGONBALLvol34/044-j0EgV.jpg
    I don't work for free. That's the difference between an amateur and a professional...

  10. #10
    Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the South East of England
    Posts
    1,238
    Quite.
    Previously JonathanB

    The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by lichtrausch View Post
    I don't work for free. That's the difference between an amateur and a professional...
    You clearly have no idea what you are talking since, considering dozens of more fluent Japanese speakers said to disregard your opinion completely. These are individuals whose native language is the Japanese language -they don't merely attempt to adapt it- so their opinion over-rides your own.

    Since you have nothing of value to add to this thread, I would highly suggest that you stop posting in it lest I report your next post to the moderators.

    We need logical, concise reasoning, not an off topic response that deviates from the purpose of the thread completely.

  12. #12
    On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Beyond nowhere
    Posts
    6,103
    I don´t know what is the relation between the OP and Sayleeee.
    In any case I suggest that you post your question in a translation forum with the pair Japanese-English.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I don´t know what is the relation between the OP and Sayleeee.
    In any case I suggest that you post your question in a translation forum with the pair Japanese-English.
    He referred to himself as a Japanese translator so I offered him an opportunity to use his talents, however, he refused to do so. He adds nothing of value to the thread and should stop posting in in. He's cynical. Nobody, as of yet, has attempted to solve Tosh's problem.

  14. #14
    Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in the South East of England
    Posts
    1,238
    If he or she is a professional translator, they work to be paid. Just posting a page from a Japanese comic and asking for a translation looks suspiciously like wind-up.

    Tosh's question has been answered to my mind.
    Previously JonathanB

    The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

  15. #15
    lichtrausch lichtrausch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayleeee View Post
    You clearly have no idea what you are talking
    Says the guy who is doing textual analysis based on mangled translations such as "The always pure strongest in the universe."


    He referred to himself as a Japanese translator so I offered him an opportunity to use his talents, however, he refused to do so.
    You're killing me. If you break a leg do you go track down a doctor and "offer him an opportunity to use his talents" and operate on you for free? The nerve of some people.


    Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I require assisstance interpreting the following statements
    By Saylee in forum General Literature
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-09-2016, 01:11 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 01:56 AM
  3. When I am old, I will require...
    By Paulclem in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
  4. Do Some Books Require One to be a Certain Age to Appreciate?
    By Dark Muse in forum General Literature
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 03:28 PM
  5. I Understand
    By mmaria in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •