Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Describe a favorite literary character.

Sancho Panza from Don Quixote by Cervantes.

A close second would be Mr. McCawber from Dickens' David Copperfield.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Richardson View Post
    For me, Miss Havisham IS the main character in Great Expectations !

Miss Bates in Emma for me though. Every time she starts talking, my heart lifts. You can see why Emma finds her irritating (I would) although her perfect manners prevent her expressing it except at Box Hill, but she is a deeply sympathetic character for all her silliness.
    Iīll have to read Emma. I think thatīs the one of Austenīs more known novels I havenīt read yet.

Your remark about Miss Havisham gave me an idea for another thread. I should like you to enlargen about that idea here or there.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DATo View Post
    Sancho Panza from Don Quixote by Cervantes.

A close second would be Mr. McCawber from Dickens' David Copperfield.
    Yes, DAto, Sancho is also a favorite with me and there are at least two Sanchos on LitNet.
    I think there is a Dickensian version of the character to, Sam Weller.
    Mr. McCawber is an interesting character too. Maybe he was inspired by Dickens father.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Your remark about Miss Havisham gave me an idea for another thread. I should like you to enlargen about that idea here or there.
    Here's an old Miss Havisham thread, Danik. You may want to add your ideas there or, if not, to start one of your own. (There are a couple others, too, in the Authors List forum).

http://www.online-literature.com/for...-s-Self-Deceit

It's good to see the conversation on this site turning back to literature. As Mona said recently, that is LitNet at its best.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 10-12-2016 at 10:55 AM.

"Favorite" can suggest someone you like as a person, or someone you like as a character (even though he or she might be despicable).

From Trollope: Septimus Harding is my favorite in the first sense; Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Crawley in the second.

Becky Sharpe is a great character.

Classic characters who never appear on stage, from Jane Austen: Miss Andrews -- she was Isabella Thorpe's friend in Northanger Abbey, "One of the sweetest girls in the world." Isabella scolds the men for "not admiring her" although she "could not get through the first volume of Sir Charles Grandison". From this I conclude she was plain and sensible.

Mr. Perry, the apothecary in "Emma" who serves as evidence for Mr. Woodhouse's imaginary complaints. One wonders whether he's embarrassed by the nonsense Mr. Woodhouse ascribes to him.

My favorite: Dr. Davies. He joined Lucy and Nancy Steele in a post-chaise to London. Nancy was nearly 30, "with a plain and not very sensible face" whose mind ran on "smart beaus". She is distressed when the company fails "to have laughed at her about the doctor. So little were they inclined to oblige her,that if Sir John dined from home she might spend a whole day without hearing any raillery on the subject other than what she was kind enough to bestow on herself."

For some reason, I think all three of these Austen characters are very different in person, and like imagining scenes where they actually show up. I can hardly forgive Elinor and Marianne for their lack of raillery, when such little effort would have given such great pleasure.

Duplicate
    Last edited by Ecurb; 10-12-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, PB. Itīs an interesting thread.
    I just posted a new one, you are invited to take a look. It can be related to Kevīs thread but it is a different discussion.
    People have now three different threads to add up.
    I still have some difficulty to find old threads in this forum.
    And I quite agree with Mona and you.
    I see so many people registering and wandering away.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 10-12-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    See my last comment on the linked thread where I set out my views.

Emma is novel which doesn't really work on the first reading to my mind.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Closed
    I still have some difficulty to find old threads in this forum.
    Go the forum page, choose Authors List, choose an author, choose a book, and you will find many threads.

And I quite agree with Mona and you.
    I see so many people registering and wandering away.
    A few weeks ago a lady asked if anyone would be interested in having book discussions based time periods. Mona and I said sure. Mortal Terror said no, it would be wasting his time. Everyone else ignored her. I felt terrible for the lady and embarrassed for LitNet. Can you wonder that people don't stay?
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 10-12-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Alex from A Clockwork Orange. I still remember when I read the novel for the first time. I had the greatest time reading it. It is indeed one of the greatest times of my life, truly. Then again I had the nadsat translator which was very helpful. Alex speaks in a street slang invented by the author Anthony Burgess. a lex (i.e. Latin for without law) Well, you have to read the novel then watch the film. It would be unfair to describe him to you.

http://soomka.com/nadsat.html

There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin

Closed
    Yarbles. Great bolshy yarblockos to you. ()
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 10-12-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    "Favorite" can suggest someone you like as a person, or someone you like as a character (even though he or she might be despicable).

From Trollope: Septimus Harding is my favorite in the first sense; Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Crawley in the second.

Becky Sharpe is a great character.

Classic characters who never appear on stage, from Jane Austen: Miss Andrews -- she was Isabella Thorpe's friend in Northanger Abbey, "One of the sweetest girls in the world." Isabella scolds the men for "not admiring her" although she "could not get through the first volume of Sir Charles Grandison". From this I conclude she was plain and sensible.

Mr. Perry, the apothecary in "Emma" who serves as evidence for Mr. Woodhouse's imaginary complaints. One wonders whether he's embarrassed by the nonsense Mr. Woodhouse ascribes to him.

My favorite: Dr. Davies. He joined Lucy and Nancy Steele in a post-chaise to London. Nancy was nearly 30, "with a plain and not very sensible face" whose mind ran on "smart beaus". She is distressed when the company fails "to have laughed at her about the doctor. So little were they inclined to oblige her,that if Sir John dined from home she might spend a whole day without hearing any raillery on the subject other than what she was kind enough to bestow on herself."

For some reason, I think all three of these Austen characters are very different in person, and like imagining scenes where they actually show up. I can hardly forgive Elinor and Marianne for their lack of raillery, when such little effort would have given such great pleasure.
    Sorry, Ecurb! Correcting the quotation:
    Yes, I think it is often the secondary characters, who are the spice of the novel. In their case the author doesnīt have to worry so much about making them good or bad or beautiful, because they are in the shadow, so they often turn out to be more intesting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Richardson View Post
    See my last comment on the linked thread where I set out my views.

Emma is novel which doesn't really work on the first reading to my mind.
    Ok, Jackson!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Go the forum page, choose Authors List, choose an author, choose a book, and you will find many threads.

A few weeks ago a lady asked if anyone would be interested in having book discussions based time periods. Mona and I said sure. Mortal Terror said no, it would be wasting his time. Everyone else ignored her. I felt terrible for the lady and embarrassed for LitNet. Can you wonder that people don't stay?
    Thanks, PB. I did that to open the Dickens thread. Probably I must be more specific and write "Mrs Havisham" to get to the threads about her.
    As for the lady you are referring to, I saw her request but wasnīt sure if it might work. Thatīs why I didnīt answer.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 10-12-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast