Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Is Social Media Toxic?

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is Social Media Toxic?

I’ve been wondering for a little while now whether social media, particularly platforms like Facebook and Twitter, are actually really toxic to us as people.

Although I don’t use Twitter much, I (like millions of others) am on Facebook, and if I’m working on my computer I’ll inevitably end up checking it relatively frequently.
    And, I’ve noticed, every time I do it lowers my mood noticeably.

I know we live in turbulent times for a variety of political and economic reasons (though, generally, I’m of the opinion that things are basically better than they have ever been globally), but nowhere does this find expression more negatively than on Facebook. Perhaps it’s because I’m basically an optimistic and happy person who tries to enjoy, and get on with, life, but Facebook seems mired in misery.

Every time I log on all I see is a long litany of whinging, hatred, and sectarianism. Otherwise reasonable people dwell unhealthily on whatever their bugbears are, and put out comments that personally denigrate opposing views and, importantly, those who hold them. And, of course, because most people seem only to be friends with those with similar views, these views end up reinforced by the echo chamber.

Perhaps I’m in a unique position in that I have friends from across a wide-spectrum, from friends who are committed Brexiteers to friends who are Corbyn worshippers, from Libertarians to Communists. Even, yes, a handful of Trump supporters. In practice, this means I keep my opinions very much to myself – because the expression of a contrary position leads at best to de-friending, and at worst to a torrent of astonishing abuse.

I remember when it was possible to have a political difference with someone without it being construed as a personal attack. In real-life conversations, it still usually is – though I have encountered exceptions. Online, it is now impossible. And I think Facebook and its ilk are in a large part to blame.

During the two months I was without internet a while back, I found I missed Facebook very little. These days, I seem to be on it only as a convenient way of keeping up with my oldest friends. But that doesn’t mean I like it.

Anyone else feel the same way? Anyone else have negative feelings about social media?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It´s the reason I never wanted to open a facebook account. On the one hand you get too much involved with it, on the other there is this really unhealthy and gratuitous denigration.

I had a twitter account and it was fun during some time, but twitter is in fact a long corridor for passing things on in high velocity. Echange of opinions was very limited. My "Good nights!" or "Thank yous!" were retwitted an infinite number of times, but more complex sentences weren´t much appreciated.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I have a facebook account, but I rarely check it unless my close relatives post something and I see their names pop up while I'm working.

I don't listen to the news either.

The most information I get about the outside world is from LitNet.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I've never joined Facebook or any other social media, the only one I use is LinkedIn for my blogs. But I suspect more people read them who are themselves not on LinkedIn.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    One crass thing I've noticed on Facebook is when someone wants to thank a FB friend for entertaining them.

Instead of sending a post card or private email, they post it on FB, thereby advertising to all the other FB friends of the host that they weren't invited.

There's a horrible sense of homogeneity about it all - everyone is in the same clique.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1