Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lets talk pets

Blog Entries
    I had to leave my cat and rabbit behind in Montreal when I moved out to Malaysia, my parents have them until I get back to Canada. Surprisingly my rabbit is still alive after 8 years, she's practically ancient as far as rabbits go. She was abandoned at the animal shelter a little after Easter back when I was volunteering during my university days. She's very even tempered for a rabbit, most rabbits I've worked with are either extremely skittish or very aggressive because people rarely socialize them properly. My cat is an oriental shorthair that was born with a broken tail so the breeder gave him to me for the cost of his basic veterinary bills. At the time I was working as a veterinary assistant in a hospital specialized in cats in an affluent neighbourhood.

I like all sorts of pets though. Growing up we had dogs and not cats, but I never had the time to properly take care of a dog once I got to university. I've also kept birds and used to rescue rats from the SPCA though I gave it up because they die too quickly and it becomes a bit emotionally exhausting. I'm still rather partial to rats as pets though, they're affectionate, smart, and relatively easy to take care of.
    Last edited by OrphanPip; 09-10-2016 at 02:16 PM.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Blog Entries
    I have two dogs, a border collie mix who will be 15 next month. He is almost deaf and has arthritis but he is a very happy and bossy dog. He tells me when he needs something and he won't stop until he gets it. He does not like to cuddle and prefers to be alone, always has. My other dog is an Icelandic mix and he is really needy, he would curl up around my neck all day if he could. He is always around my feet, I have almost tripped a few times because of him. He is 8 years old.

I think I'll always have two dogs, they are great companions and a good excuse when friends want to take a trip and I don't.

I used to have parrots and two rats too but that was a long time ago. Rats are great companions too.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    We were taking the X-train to Bollnäs yesterday and one elderly lady carried her cat in a cage-like box. She had taken it in one winter and it refused to leave her. The sad part of this is that it is fairly common in Sweden to have a "summer-cat", leaving it to find its own way in the autumn. I think this is so cruel. We had something similar when a thin and hungry cat came into our back yard and we fed it, and then it wanted to stay. We eventually got it to leave, but I would not be surprised if it turned up again this autumn...

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The problem of adopting a cat is that you think you adopt a cat when in fact it is the cat that adopts you. That happened with my two adopted cats.
    And I suppose that in cold countries many cats turn up in summer, maybe in search of a shelter for the cold seasons. If one really canīt keep the animal, I suppose there are instituitions that take the animals in while looking for another home for them.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 09-01-2017 at 08:20 AM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I just got a cat! my older dog died this summer, it was extremely difficult and he was my best friend for almost 16 years. We had been talking about getting a cat for a long time and when we lost our dog I thought about the other dog who has never been alone and we decided to look around for a cat. We have had Dax for a couple of weeks now and they are so good together, cuddle on the couch and push each other away from me, kinda fighting over who can cuddle more, they are the cutest.

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I am glad they get on so well, Helga. Pets are warming for the heart and the hearth.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your special dog, Helga.
    But glad to read that the new kitty gets along with your other dog.
    Pets fill a void in our life that nothing else can ... that's my thought, anyhow.

Blog Entries
    It seems you have many pets that love you, Helga, and you return their love.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland

lets talk pets

This is very true. The cat does adopt you, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    The problem of adopting a cat is that you think you adopt a cat when in fact it is the cat that adopts you. That happened with my two adopted cats.
    And I suppose that in cold countries many cats turn up in summer, maybe in search of a shelter for the cold seasons. If one really canīt keep the animal, I suppose there are instituitions that take the animals in while looking for another home for them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    It seems you have many pets that love you, Helga, and you return their love.
    It is odd to have the admiration of an animal, I was just thinking how I am never alone, I can't even go to the bathroom alone, if I do then they are both sitting by the door waiting for me. My brother says this is a collective animal revenge for zoos, not love

Blog Entries
    I think they donīt understand and certainly donīt accept that the animal company rules for the bathroom are different from the ones for the other rooms.

Blog Entries
    It is odd to have the admiration of an animal, I was just thinking how I am never alone, I can't even go to the bathroom alone, if I do then they are both sitting by the door waiting for me
    LoL, they figure any room is as good as any other!!
    Dang I love pets, they have such big hearts.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    My cat seems to think as soon as I head for the bathroom it is to turn the faucet on so she can drink from it which she has trained me to do for her. I think animals do love at least some of the people they are with because they treat them differently by giving those special people special attention.

Blog Entries
    Lol. They Love us and still more the things we do for their confort.

Blog Entries
    Pets increase the soul x 10.

Cherish and honor them.

They are very divine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast