Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rowan and Birch Trees: how do they influence each other?

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland

Rowan and Birch Trees: how do they influence each other?

Rowan in America is also known as Mountain Ash. Rowan trees have beautiful red berries in the autumn (like now, late august). Rowan and Birch seem to grow together well. My part of Sweden has a lot of birch trees and also a lot of Rowan. I have tried to find a website on the relationship between these two trees, but not succeeded. Any help would be welcome.

The reason I ask this is that since we moved to southern Norrland some 6 years ago,we had an old birch tree in our back yard (it was cut down before we moved in). I noticed that rowan shoots sprung up around the old stump. One of these grew into a fine Rowan tree which this year bore red berries (not edible, btw). I've also seen rowan growing alongside more mature birch trees in the wild. They do seem to thrive together.

Birch and Rowan are common across most of the northern Hemisphere, I'm no dendrologist, but I do like trees. Hug one and feel its life... Horse chestnuts have very fine candle-like blossoms and the horse chestnut has a polished surface as well as providing "conkers", which as a child I played a lot in the Autumn.
    Last edited by Dreamwoven; 10-08-2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: a bit of extra information

Bollnäs

Right now birch and rowan are showing their finest autumn colours, set off magnificently with the much more dominant pine with its greenery on the higher slopes. Every small town in Norrland has landscaping that captures the qualities of rowan and birch especially at this time of year. We took the local train that runs between Gävle and Ljusdal, getting off at the small town of Bollnäs a place we like to go, of some 13,000 population. All small towns in Sweden have experienced significant population decreases during the post-war period, and this is the case for Bollnäs. It is about 50 minutes by local train from Gävle to Bollnäs, just 5 stops.

We go there every week or two, living out in the country with decent train services, it makes a refreshing change for a half-day trip.

This autumn has been unusually long in our part of Sweden, nearly a week after the last post we still enjoy the colours, the silver of the birch, the gold of its leaves, make a beautiful sight. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betula_pendula.

They contrast with the Rowan with its red berries and red autumn leaves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan.

Our Rowan Tree has been loaded with berries, until large flocks of birds came and began frenzy eating them. The whole tree was alive with feeding birds. I can't figure out what species these birds are! There are so many, scores, even hundreds, when they fly away the rowans have been almost stripped of its berries.

And by lunch time the same day the tree was clean stripped of all its berries.

Rowan trees are steeped in folk-law, especially druidry: http://www.druidry.org/library/trees/tree-lore-rowan

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    Our Rowan Tree has been loaded with berries, until large flocks of birds came and began frenzy eating them. The whole tree was alive with feeding birds. I can't figure out what species these birds are! There are so many, scores, even hundreds, when they fly away the rowans have been almost stripped of its berries.
    I wonder if the over-ripe rowan berries had a hint of alcohol in them, it may help explain the voracious appetite of the birds. A couple of days after the tree had been stripped some of the birds returned to eat the fallen berries.

The kind of bird was the skylark, with the tuft on its head.

Blog Entries
    In my garden, I don't know if it is Rowan tree (not good with tree names) but in the fall it has red berries and the birds sometimes eat them but they don't eat a lot because the ground is usually enough for them still. Later in September and early October they start eating the berries and I am certain the have a hint of alcohol, this time of year they sing louder and all the time! and they are prone to crashing and you even notice a change in cats, they see that the birds are an easy prey in that state.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Sounds like a rowan, check the leaves on google images.

Blog Entries
    no leaves right now, everything kinda bare...
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

No problem, Helga, you can do it next summer.

The maple is another tree that I like. I think they came here from North America. The Canadian flag has a maple leaf as its emblem. Maples have fine autumn colours, and can be tapped for sap to make maple sugar. You can read more about it on the Wikipedia link above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast