Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rowan and Birch Trees: how do they influence each other?

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Birch trees provide an important source of winter fuel, it is sold by weight or cubic meter. We have an old cast iron heater, and it helps to cut some up with an axe to produce tinder for lighting the fire, together with pine cones. It burns cleanly and leaves little ash. Now when it is cold and deep snow is on the ground it provides good secondary heating. Nice to watch the birch burning.

In our front garden there are several mature pine trees. At this time of the year the snow starts to melt, but just around the pines the ground is already bare, well before the snow elsewhere ha started to diminish in depth. The trees are, of course, alive as are their roots, just enough to raise the temperature in and on the snow so that have begun the melting process earlier.

This is very striking.

This autumn the Rowan in our back yard looks glorious, rust brown leaves on top, green leaves on bottom. And everywhere there are bright red berries, which the blackbirds are starting to eat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    Rowan trees are steeped in folk-law, especially druidry: http://www.druidry.org/library/trees/tree-lore-rowan
    Interesting folklore. I've heard the name "mountain ash" referenced in the link, but not "rowan". That trees cooperate in general I think has recently been shown, but I forget the reference at the moment.

Occasionally, the Swedish weather takes a "holiday". This happened this year (2018) just when the climate "froze" at the critical time (early October). It was mild (a "Brit Summer") and with very little wind, so we have had an extended period of stable conditions. We went for a drive to enjoy the colours. The beech trees were at their best, as indeed were the rowan trees, caught when they were bright red! Someone who has a good quality camera should have taken pictures!

I don't believe this period will repeat itself and I will enjoy the colours in memory. So beautiful!

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi, DW!I´m glad your connection is working. I´ve had connection and loading problems.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    A year in the life of a Rowan tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHoCsCsxExA
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Thanks for publishing this, Danik!

Blog Entries
    Wonderful short video. I've never seen a Rowen tree to my knowledge; beautiful tree.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Thanks, DW and Tailor!I´m glad that you both have been able to watch it.

I´m glad that you have posted today, DW. Since I have been unable to load the Litnet page for about a month I´m wondering who else is having the same problem.

Lots of Rowan and birch in Northern Scotland. Birch is a greedy feeder but both it and Rowan like the peaty soil of the north. Quite different barks. Birch peels a lot and has a reddish tinge. It also acts as a host to lichens and mosses. It is springy and seldom grows straight but often twisted and often has multiple stems. Rowan has a ferny type leaf (not very accurate description I know) It is pread by birds that consume the berries. It would be very widespread in the Highlands but for sheep and deer which graze it out. Small islands in lochs are often clothed in it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12