Thread: A Seer's Cure

Banned
    Blog Entries

A Seer's Cure

Brandon and Hurley were a superstitious sort, believing in paranormal phenomenon and the occult. Brandon relied on his own experiences as a guide to his esoteric part in life while Hurley was studious, purchasing books on astrology, palm reading, symbology, Celtic and druid books along with a plethora of odd and unaccepted matters where the mainstream was concerned.

Hippyish farmer’s market au naturale folk they considered themselves and they were far into the organic lifestyle. Their apartment was a trove of alternative fetish items, talismans and charms. Solemn and mellow beatnik music often played in their well-used worn boom boxes as they smoked reffer and burnt cinnamon sticks and drank chai tea. Hemp was a common material they were familiar with and they used it wherever they could find a use for it.

Hurley worked at a backstreet café on the southern end of town as a barista. Brandon worked at the university book store part time to pay off his tuition. Soon he would graduate college and they would relocate so he could find a job at a sporting goods company.

Hurley was an avid Thoth player. She would use her Thoth cards to guide her daily life. Brandon would often let her use him to advance her Thoth skills. He found Thoth cards absorbing as he was enchanted with the artwork and Hurley’s decipherment of what they meant in relation to their lives. Brandon didn’t believe in the Thoth card’s power all too seriously though and he saw them as a good past-time for the imagination. Hurley was usually enchanting with her explanations but her accuracy with what her Thoth cards told her was on the low side. He never lamented her inaccuracies because he loved her and didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

She would often though ask him to do something occultist but he was sorely deficient in established obsequies. And that’s what he called it, “The Obsequies”. That puzzled Hurley but she never asked why Brandon called the occult “The Obsequies”.

Hurley said, “Do you got any new Obsequie ideas to share?”

Brandon said, “Nope. Not at all. I’m in this project at my drum circle that involves stretching rubber bands around extra-large didgeridoos and the band leader believes that if we can reach a singularity with our music then the rubber bands could hold a spiritual power to them.”

Hurley said, “Do you believe that?”

Brandon said, “I’m not going to opine about that and wait until that practice has gone full circle. I think there’s a certain long-term process to this one that’s going to need a lot of careful patience so we can find out if it truly is effective or not.”

Hurley said, “Well, let me know when that time arrives. I will start a journal entry about that.”

Brandon and Hurley were in downtown Seattle. They left their rusty Honda Accord at the parking depot next to a tattoo and piercing shop and were walking through a crowd of hacky sack enthusiasts. A lot of teens and freshmen college students clustered in scattered groups looking like dancing jokers in the shade of closely groomed maple trees. The sun was low and it wasn’t noon yet. Maybe in an hour or two it would be noon but they couldn’t know when that would truly be because they didn’t wear watches on their days off and today was their only day off together.

“Do you really want to go to the psychic?” Asked Brandon, “I would rather go drink some espresso and read a book at the cafe.”

Hurley said, “Don’t be a spoiler. I think you’re going to like it. I waited to go to this psychic for months now. She’s the highest order of mind reading protégé in the whole state. I made this appointment in February, we can’t cancel this now. Besides, I already paid her and there’s no refunds. Don’t worry, you won’t be disappointed.”

Brandon said, “Okay. You know what you’re saying. I will listen but I won’t glisten.”

Hurley winked at him and said, tugging his arm, “I will take you there but I won’t take your hair.”

Brandon leaned in so his face was close to hers and said, “Where you stone a stick a stick will stone so a sticky stone can stun a stink.”

Hurley laughed giddily as they rubbed the tips of their noses together with sleezy warmth saying, “A hobgoblin slobbered on a cauldron ladle then hid a pillow mint under the table.”

Brandon laughed quietly then they kissed with hot passion as they walked towards their destination.

The psychic’s house was wedged into a small lot and looked a lot like a toy house or an oversized boy’s fort. A wooden sign hung over the steps to the wooden porch on the metal links. The sign read, “Divina’s”. On the door was a sign on the window that read, “Open”. Brandon and Hurley walked in.

Once they were inside Brandon said, “You wouldn’t know that a psychic lives here. There’s none of the usual neon signs or any of what I saw on other psychic’s businesses.”

Hurley said, “Yes. Divina is low key when it comes to advertising.”

In the main area of the miniature house was a desk with a man sitting behind it. He said, “Good to see you two. My name is Eric. I’m Divina’s husband. Do you have an appointment?”

Hurley said, “Yes. We are Hurley and Brandon Springwheel and we were told to show up whenever we were in the mood today before noon.”

Eric said, “Yes. Thank you for choosing Divina. She really is a gifted psychic and I trust you will thoroughly enjoy her attentions. One thing we ask before we proceed with the appointment is that you fill out a simple questionnaire.”

Eric handed both of them clipboards and said, “Do you need anything to write with?”

Brandon replied, “No thanks. We got something already.”

Eric said, “Take your time.”

Hurley and Brandon filled out their questionnaires on a fluffy couch. The task took them a minute to finish. Eric took their clipboards and reviewed the questionnaires.

Hurley’s questionnaire read:
    1. Do you feel good today?
    Yes.
    2. Are you psychic?
    No.
    3. Ever see a ghost?
    No.
    4. If you could go anywhere in space and time what would that be?
    March 25th, 2016. Los Angeles. My parent’s anniversary.
    5. What is your favorite song?
    The wind beneath my wings
    6. Are you high right now?
    No.

Brandon’s questionnaire read:
    1. Do you feel good today?
    Yes.
    2. Are you psychic?
    No.
    3. Ever see a ghost?
    No.
    4. If you could go anywhere in space and time what would that be?
    Any ancient Olympic triathlon will do.
    5. What is your favorite song?
    I don’t listen to music. My favorite movie is “Under The Yum Yum Tree” starring Jack Sheldon.
    6. Are you high right now?
    No.

Eric grinned as he stood out of his chair. He said, “Follow me, right this way.” Brandon and Hurley did as requested, following Eric into the next room.

The small room was thickly decorated with beaded tassels that hung off the ceiling and glowing globes with patterns etched into them. The light was dim and a single round table was in the center of the room with a full-circle bench around it.

Divina sat at the table facing the door. She wore a frilly blouse that widened a the wrists. Her hair was long and silky without much volume to it, appearing as though it were wet but it was naturally fine and shiny. She couldn’t have been much older than her mid-twenties. She wore wooden bracelets with Latin words burnt into them. Her fingernails were long and painted bright blue. On the round table were dozens of stones painted with mysterious symbols.

Eric said, “Go ahead and join Divina if you’d like.” Brandon and Hurley did so. Eric said, “I will close this door now and leave you with my lovely wife.” He left them alone and returned to his desk.

Divina said, “Good that you joined me. First off I want you both to take a stone out of this batch.” They chose their stones. Divina said, “Good. Now set your stones in front of you on the table.” They did as directed. Divina said, “Okay. We are ready.” She raised her arms up in a Y configuration and closed her eyes. She hummed a tune with a closed mouth then with her eyes shut she chose a stone from random and held it in her closed palm. She opened her eyes and said, “What would you like me to foretell?”

Hurley said, “I once dreamt that my dead mother was sailing on a wooden ship in the 1800s. She said to me that she was on her way to see her dad. Can you give me insight as to what this could mean?”

Divina said, “One second.” She closed her eyes and hummed, turning her face to the ceiling. She suddenly quit humming and said, “I see a tower on a sea shore. A light house. I see your mother on the beach, watching waves. She says that your father is in heaven and she’s waiting to join him.” Divina opened her eyes and Hurley sighed a sigh of relief.

Brandon was very skeptical. He didn’t believe Divina was a true psychic so he decided to test her. He said, “What state is my brother living in right now? I’d like to know so I can find him.”

Divina revealed the stone in her hand and said, “Locating loved ones is difficult but I think this search can be managed with you, you got a strong aura and through your aura I can find what you’d like to know.”

Brandon actually already knew what state his brother lived in and he never fell out of contact with him. In fact, he talked with his brother two days ago. Brandon’s brother was at home in Ohio where he’s been living since 2010. Brandon lied to Divina to test her abilities.

Divina held an open hand out over the stones and slowly felt the air over them, bringing her hand around in circles then took one up without looking at the symbol painted on it. She closed her eyes for a minute. Hurley and Brandon watched silently, waiting. Finally, she opened her eyes and said, “Ohio.”

“Oh, no way. Yeah right. You gotta be kidding us.” Said Brandon. She nailed his test and proved him wrong.

Divina said, “What do you mean? Do you doubt that?”

Brandon said, “I don’t know. How about this. When I was thirteen my parents said I went missing. They said I was gone for a whole week. There was a huge search party that involved family and friends. It was in the newspaper, reported on the television news and there was a great big deal made out of my disappearance. They said they found me a week after I disappeared safely in my bed sleeping. Now here’s the deal. I have no recollection of ever going missing at all. In fact I can’t even remember them finding me in my bed but here they got this photo album and all this documentation proving that it happened. Can you tell me why I can’t remember this and what happened?”

Divina said, “I can look.” She closed her eyes and this time she wasn’t humming. She reached her hand out to Brandon and said, “Take my hand.” Brandon took her hand as asked. She said, “You were in the living room. It was before dinner and the door opened on it’s own. You asked who was there but there was no one that you could see so you went outside to see who opened it.

Divina was silent for a minute then said, “Do you remember now?”

Brandon said, “I… I see… I see my memories coming in to focus again.”

Divina said, “Close your eyes.” Then she opened her own eyes.

Brandon’s eyes were closed. He said, “I see a man wearing a red suit and he I carrying a cane. He’s a young man and he’s really tall. Extra tall and his face is scary. His eyes are too far apart. His mouth is too wide and his tongue is too thin. I think… yes, he is like a lizard but also a man. His skin is shiny like plastic but soft like silk. Yes. He doesn’t like people and he sees me with disgust. He says I must go with him. I said I don’t want to go. He said if I do not go then he would do something… uh… wait. What happened? My memory fizzed out.”

Brandon was silent for a second. Divina said, “I see you were taken to a secret base. A base under the sea. Do you see?”

Brandon said, “Yes. I see lizard people and I’m in a safe room so the lizard people don’t hurt me. I am called, The Zootalk. I don’t know why they call me The Zootalk.”

Divina said, “Fast forward to right before you return to your own house again, what do you see Brandon?”

Brandon said, “I see they were suddenly rushing to get me back to my own bed again. My own bed in my own room in my own house. No lizard people now. Only what I feel good with, my own house, my own bed, my own room. I can’t express how good it feels to go back into my own bed in my own room in my own house again. Now I’m asleep. Now… wait a minute… I wake up and I find a pile of money with a note on it… the message reads ‘we are very sorry’.”

Divina said, “Open your eyes.” Brandon opened his eyes with a look of confusion. Divina said, “I can’t tell you what is real and what is not inside your recollections. All of that is all for you to figure out on your own. I am merely a guide for your path into your subconscious. What I observe inside your mind I cannot manipulate or influence. I can only see, not touch.”

Hurley said, “Can you tell me where a curse on us is coming from? Do you know about curses?”

Divina said, “Yes. I am experienced at curing curses. Tell me about your curse.”

Hurley said, “This curse isn’t only on me alone. Brandon shares this curse with me. This curse seems to have origins of when we went to an amusement park. We aren’t fully sure who cursed us but we deduced that it was an amusement park employee. Ever since we went to the amusement park last month bad things started to happen. Odd things and coincidences that get in our way. They are all small things that happen or small things that people do but they add up and build into a stronger and stronger curse. It is like, whenever Brandon and I are out and about together random people try and interrupt anything we do and pull us apart. They want to make us stop showing affection for one another. If we are holding hands someone might bring us a map and ask Brandon to give directions. That is only one example. It started mildly but now random people seem under some sort of paranormal control and they are getting ruder and ruder every day. None of these people know each other. This wasn’t some sort of conspiracy. They aren’t connected. Yet, they increasingly each day add on to this curse and it only increases with frequency, intensity and rudeness. If we are apart it doesn’t quit there. When we plan to get together, these paranormal forces will try and distract us, delay us, make us forget each other and it only seems to get worse. This curse is an attack on our love for each other and our love of affection with each other when we are together. Have you ever heard of this before? Does that make sense to you? You don’t think we are crazy do you?”

Divina said, “Of course not. This one sounds a lot like several other curses that I cured before. Here, what we will do is hold hands, Hurley. We will close our eyes.” Divina reached out over the stones on the table with both of her hands. Hurley did the same and they lightly locked their hold on each other then closed their eyes. Divina said, “Breath slow and make yourself calmer.”

A minute of silence.

Divina said, “Okay, now, think back to the amusement park and try to remember who cursed you. Do you know who it was?”

Hurley said, “No. We saw many people that day. Nobody comes to mind so easily.”

Divina said, “Okay. We will try this another way then. Try and recall the curse and follow it’s path in reverse to it’s sender. Imagine the curser outside of the amusement park in their normal lives. Do you see who sent the curse?”

Hurley said, “I see a crowd of rock and roll fans. Now I see a stage. Yes. It’s a singer in a rock and roll band. It’s a singer in a band. That rock singer is the one who made this curse. I recognize him. I remember who it was. He worked at the amusement park, selling merchandise. We bought some merchandise and he was a jerk. He somehow cursed us.”

Divina said, “Alright. Now that we know who it was, return to that rock show and picture the singer that cursed you as though he were alone. Do you see him?”

Hurley said, “Yes, I do.”

Divina said, “Okay. Now, you are like a ghost in your memory but’s very faint and weak as connections go. To strengthen this connection shut me out of your mind. Push me into your subconscious. I am now a voice you can’t hear, guiding your actions. We are going to make this curse right. We are going to cure you of your curse. You are free to become less ghostly, and now you can affect that reality in your memory as though you were editing a film or touching up a painting. The changes you make will affect reality. Go ahead, Hurley, curse the curser in revenge.”

Hurley started to quiver a little.

Divina said, “Describe your revenge on the rock and roll singer who cursed you and your boyfriend, Hurley. Tell me what you’ve done.”

Hurley said, “I cursed him all over. I cursed his joints, I cursed his actions, I cursed his words, I cursed his thoughts, I cursed every step he takes. I am cursing him in every way that I conceive with every instant that I observe his existence.”

Divina said, “Okay, good. Now you are done. Your curse should be effective instantly. Now, Hurley, awake.” Divina smacked the table top with her hand. Hurley shook quickly and looked at Brandon. She hugged Brandon with a twinkle in her eye.

Divina said, “I am sorry to have to end this session now. I am exhausted and I need some rest. If you’d like to return for a second session I will put you on a priority list and you won’t have to wait for months like you did this time. How are you two feeling right now? Do you have any questions?”

Brandon said, “No questions. I think we are both as exhausted as you are, Divina. Thank you, your psychic demonstration is very insightful and I would like to return for another session.” He squeezed Hurley in his arms as they continued to hug affectionately.

Divina said, “I’m happy to hear that. You can reschedule at the desk with my husband Eric.” Divina stood up and bowed at them. She said, “Have a great weekend.”

Hurley said, “Thank you.”

Divina left them alone in the room with the door open.

Ten minutes later they were outside again, walking back to their car. A window display was filled with televisions and a news service was being shown. Hurley exclaimed, “Hey Brandon, look at that! It’s the singer in our psychic session! What a coincidence! That’s the fool that cursed us!”

Brandon said, “Yeah, I recognize him! Exactly as you remembered! That jerk at the merch table.

Hurley said, “Woah…”

The news reporter said, “We are sorry to announce his death and our heart-filled condolences go out to his loved ones.”

Hurley said, “Divina was right. Our curser is dead. Divina is a miracle worker.”

Brandon and Hurley were silent for a few minutes as they stared at the photo of the dead rock star who cursed them. Eventually Hurley said, “Our love will stay strong, they won’t ever be able to pull us apart again or challenge our relationship to one another.”

Brandon squeezed Hurley and gave her a smoochin’ kiss on the cheek. She smiled and patted his arm. They lived happily ever after.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Did you like "A Seer's Cure"? These stories that I wrote contain similar elements in them:

ELECTRIFIED SOULS
    http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?82386-Electrified-Souls

A TALE BEYOND BELIEF
    http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?84886-A-Tale-Beyond-Belief

RISEN ENTITY
    http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?81892-Risen-Entity

THE HAND THAT ALTERS
    http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?82458-The-Hand-That-Alters