Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classical Guitar

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It´s a famous, or rather, two famous paintings of the same woman by Goya:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_maja_desnuda
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    It´s a famous, or rather, two famous paintings of the same woman by Goya:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_maja_desnuda
    Thanks. That wasn't so hard. Maja came out as pestle on the google translator, which had me confused.

Speaking of Brazil, ahem! Since I was 13 years old, I have loved the sound of Los Indios Tabajaras. They knew how to express a melody.

Blog Entries
    Google sometimes surpasses itself!

Never heard of "Los Indios Tabajaras", though I remember well RCA Victor, their longplay trademark.Why the heck did they choose a Spanish name?
    Read about them, one of them has died meanwhile.
    I remember very well this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQheOglFos
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 08-12-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Google sometimes surpasses itself!

Never heard of "Los Indios Tabajaras", though I remember well RCA Victor, their longplay trademark.Why the heck did they choose a Spanish name?
    Read about them, one of them has died meanwhile.
    I remember very well this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQheOglFos
    I do not know why they chose a Spanish name, my dear, or when. Interesting question. Perhaps that name came only after their popularity in Mexico.

Los Indios Tabajaras should be a serious research project for someone, before it is too late to ever know the real facts. Widows or relatives are bound to still be alive. The widows would know something. There is your project, my dear. I really wish you would do it.

Also a biography of Agustin Barrios Mangore would be cherished, but it would have to be translated into English, for surely it must be researched and written first in Spanish.

Los Indios Tabajaras were not classical musicians per se who played concert halls for classical music enthusiasts, but popularizers of famous melodies on guitar who obviously had a lot of talent and at least some formal musical training. I'll call him Nico for short, had great command of the guitar and had a way with popular melodies. Nico was to south America what Chet Atkins was to north America.

Blog Entries
    It would be a good project, yes, but it takes someone who does research about music and musicians, which is not my case.
    I merely got curious when you mentioned them.
    Here is the article about them from wiki. The story of the guitar might be true. There are many stories like this one.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Indios_Tabajaras

It would be a good project, yes, but it takes someone who does research about music and musicians, which is not my case.
    I merely got curious when you mentioned them.
    Here is the article about them from wiki. The story of the guitar might be true. There are many stories like this one.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Indios_Tabajaras
    Two boys found a guitar. That is the part of the story I might believe. But of course two jungle boys did not figure out how to play the world's great popular classics from their huts. They moved to town. Yes, they found a guitar. Now, just what help did they receive in learning to play it and then master it. It is stated that they went back to study music in the 1950's, after already becoming something of recording stars.

Amazing talent does amazing things. It is impossible to know how far they got on their or own, unless witnesses or relatives have something to remember.

Blog Entries
    Up in the Nordeste where they come from, there must be still a lot of popular guitar player. They´ve little or no formal learning but they learn from each other. There are the "repentistas" who play on guitar contests, a kind of musical dialogue where the verses are improvised on the spot. The winner is the player who holds out the longest.

Up in the Nordeste where they come from, there must be still a lot of popular guitar player. They´ve little or no formal learning but they learn from each other. There are the "repentistas" who play on guitar contests, a kind of musical dialogue where the verses are improvised on the spot. The winner is the player who holds out the longest.
    Do they speak a lot of Spanish up that way?

Blog Entries
    Spanish??! Only after going to Spanish classes.
    The language of the country is Portuguese.

Spanish??! Only after going to Spanish classes.
    The language of the country is Portuguese.
    I know that. But it borders about ten countries whose main language is Spanish. In the U.S. a lot of Spanish is spoken in border states. Traditionally, the people of Texas speak better Spanish than the people of Maine. In Brazil it has to work the same way. I was merely wondering if their choice of an act name in Spanish had perhaps anything to do with coming from a border area in Brazil. I am just probing, my dear.

Blog Entries
    You are right there.In Rio Grande do Sul, the state most in the south the gaúchos speak a
    mixed lingo with a lot of Spanish expressions. Formerly there were a lot of border conflicts in the south between the Hispano American side and the Brazilian. Uruguai once was a part of Brazil. It bbecame separated after a war.
    The Spanish speaking migrants that come to Brazil usually learn to speak Portuguese pretty soon, or at least "portunhol= Português + Espanhol". But in Ceará, the home state of the Tabajaras, they speak Portuguese.
    I guess that what you have in Texas is a large hispanic colony.

You are right there.In Rio Grande do Sul, the state most in the south the gaúchos speak a
    mixed lingo with a lot of Spanish expressions. Formerly there were a lot of border conflicts in the south between the Hispano American side and the Brazilian. Uruguai once was a part of Brazil. It bbecame separated after a war.
    The Spanish speaking migrants that come to Brazil usually learn to speak Portuguese pretty soon, or at least "portunhol= Português + Espanhol". But in Ceará, the home state of the Tabajaras, they speak Portuguese.
    I guess that what you have in Texas is a large hispanic colony.
    Key statement in red.

Los Indios Tabajaras do not sound like anyone else. Other guitarists often try to sound like them. This happens with all great stylists I have known of on guitar--other players copy the signature sounds they grew up on. It is a natural process. I grew up copying the Tabajaras version of Maria Elena.

Blog Entries
    They must indeed have been very famous (and like it often happens to talented people, the one that died, died poor.)
    This discussion brought brought an old musical memory back to me. I remember neither the Tabajaras, not that the music was called "Maria Helena", nor when and where I heard it, but the sound is very familiar. Thank you for reviving it. It seems the world was already a global village in the old radio days.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 08-15-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast