Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Strange Laws That Made You Laugh

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    26

    Strange Laws That Made You Laugh

    In Waynesboro, Virginia, it’s against the law for a woman to drive a car in Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.

    In Memphis, Tennessee, women can't drive a car unless there is a man with a red flag in front of the car warning the other people on the road.

  2. #2
    On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Beyond nowhere
    Posts
    6,246
    Are there so few car driving women In this cities, Curtis? If applied in São Paulo those laws would cause a red flag traffic jam.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

  3. #3
    MANICHAEAN MANICHAEAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    In the UK you can still get your head chopped off for killing one of the Queen's swans.

    And if you compound the heinous crime by originating from that part of the UK where "Braveheart" was born, then you get hung, drawn and quartered first.

    Damn right too.

    M.

  4. #4
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    In Massachusetts a male is legally required to carry a shotgun to church. Duels to the death are permissible on Boston Common but only in the presence of the govorner. And a woman on top is sodomy. Be glad we left, MANICHAEAN.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 08-08-2016 at 06:34 AM.

  5. #5
    Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    In a lurid pink building...
    Posts
    2,769
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    In the UK you can still get your head chopped off for killing one of the Queen's swans.

    And if you compound the heinous crime by originating from that part of the UK where "Braveheart" was born, then you get hung, drawn and quartered first.

    Damn right too.

    M.
    Also, the celebration of Christmas in the UK is technically illegal - Cromwell banned it, and the law has never actually been altered...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

  6. #6
    Registered User Tyrion Cheddar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    That tree where the Keebler elves live
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Also, the celebration of Christmas in the UK is technically illegal - Cromwell banned it, and the law has never actually been altered...
    Lokasenna!!!! Having you back is cause for celebration. Tis the reason I clicked on this thread. Dear oh dear, do grace more of our games with your learned presence.
    Now then...
    Speaking of sodomy, Pompey, me old chum, let's talk adultery. What if you commit sodomy while committing adultery? Do they send you to Scotland to get drawn and quartered? I do like the shotgun requirement, though, right up my street. Of course, in my case, they'd have to expand the law to include synagogues. And howitzers.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

  7. #7
    MANICHAEAN MANICHAEAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Trump that.

  8. #8
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Cheddar View Post
    Speaking of sodomy, Pompey, me old chum, let's talk adultery. What if you commit sodomy while committing adultery?
    Typically you'd be dressed as a Pilgrim and sent 'round to Senator Warren's chambers. That'll cure you.

  9. #9
    Registered User Tyrion Cheddar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    That tree where the Keebler elves live
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Typically you'd be dressed as a Pilgrim and sent 'round to Senator Warren's chambers. That'll cure you.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

  10. #10
    Closed
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Cheddar View Post
    Out of the mood so soon?

  11. #11
    MANICHAEAN MANICHAEAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    A few more that require serious consideration by those of a legally imaginative disposition.

    • Entering the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour.
    • Dying in the Houses of Parliament (Very poor show)
    • Keeping a pigsty in front of your house - unless duly hidden
    • In London, riding the bus (knowingly) with the Plague
    • Handling a salmon in suspicious circumstances (My favourite)
    • Being intoxicated and in charge of a horse or cow
    • Firing a cannon within 300 yards of a dwelling house
    • Removing a dead whale found on the British coast - since it automatically becomes the property of the ruling monarch
    • For a pub landlord, allowing drunkenness in their pub (Unheard of with the price of beer these days.)
    • In Scotland, turning someone away if they knock on your door and require the use of your loo
    • Allowing your pet to copulate with any pet from the Royal House (Corgi Alert)
    • Importing into England potatoes which you suspect to be Polish ( Ties in nicely with Brexit)
    • As of 1998, causing a nuclear explosion
    Last edited by MANICHAEAN; 08-09-2016 at 12:28 AM.

  12. #12
    On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Beyond nowhere
    Posts
    6,246
    I always wondered about the prohibition to import snails to US in the traveller´s luggage.
    My problem was not the prohibition itself, but who would want to travel with snails in the luggage.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

  13. #13
    Registered User Tyrion Cheddar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    That tree where the Keebler elves live
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I always wondered about the prohibition to import snails to US in the traveller´s luggage.
    My problem was not the prohibition itself, but who would want to travel with snails in the luggage.
    Well Pompey Bum might. He's shy about this sort of thing. Not keen to admit it. But get a couple of bottles of merlot into him and you wouldn't believe what you learn.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

  14. #14
    Registered User Tyrion Cheddar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    That tree where the Keebler elves live
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    A few more that require serious consideration by those of a legally imaginative disposition.

    • Entering the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour.
    • Dying in the Houses of Parliament (Very poor show)
    • Keeping a pigsty in front of your house - unless duly hidden
    • In London, riding the bus (knowingly) with the Plague
    • Handling a salmon in suspicious circumstances (My favourite)
    • Being intoxicated and in charge of a horse or cow
    • Firing a cannon within 300 yards of a dwelling house
    • Removing a dead whale found on the British coast - since it automatically becomes the property of the ruling monarch
    • For a pub landlord, allowing drunkenness in their pub (Unheard of with the price of beer these days.)
    • In Scotland, turning someone away if they knock on your door and require the use of your loo
    • Allowing your pet to copulate with any pet from the Royal House (Corgi Alert)
    • Importing into England potatoes which you suspect to be Polish ( Ties in nicely with Brexit)
    • As of 1998, causing a nuclear explosion
    There is an underlying logic to all of these, Manichaean, but this last one...I just don't see it.
    Also, how does one test a potato to see if it's Polish? Hold a kielbasa in front of it and see if it goes for it? Start playing polka music and see what happens?
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

  15. #15
    MANICHAEAN MANICHAEAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good point Tyrion.

    Potatoes in deep cover.

    Profiled potatoes at Immigration?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Loss is one of God's Laws
    By mvvenkataraman in forum Poems, Poets, and Poetry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2014, 09:28 AM
  2. Laws & Crimes
    By howwedo94 in forum 1984
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 04:07 AM
  3. If laws are getting multitudinous like a fishnet
    By angliholic in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 05:02 PM
  4. in-laws
    By motherhubbard in forum Personal Poetry
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •