Thread: It's dogged as does it

It's dogged as does it

I recently read Anthony Trollope's "Autobiography". I'm a big Trollope fan, and have probably read 25 of his novels, including the Palliser and Barchester series (6 novels in each). His autobiography is almost as much fun as his novels; he makes an excellent Trollope character.

Some critics have suggested that the autobiography hurt Trollope's reputation as a novelist especially among the aesthetes. He certainly doesn't portray himself as am aesthete, nourishing his artistic temper. Instead, he wrote many of his novels while working full-time for the Post Office. How? He would wake up at 5:00 am, write for three hours, and then go to work. At one point, he compares himself to a shoe maker. He doesn't understand why novelists finish one novel, and then don't start their next for months. Dos a cobbler finishmaking one shoe, and then relax for a couple of months before he starts on his next? It never seems to occur to Trollope that some novelists may not have an endless fountain of stories bubbling constantly to the surface.

IN fact, Trollope insists that he doesn't much care for plots and that he didn't know how his stories would end when he started writing them. He cared about his characters (as those of us who love his novels are doubtless well aware).

He has one chapter on writing novels. He insists that no "episodes" should be added that do not move the story forward and that although dialogue is the most agreeable part of a novel, it should always be relevant to the story.

He rates Thackeray as the best of his contemporaries, lauding both his style and his realistic characters. He rates Eliot second, saying she sometimes lacks "ease" and strives too hard for philosophical points at the expense of character development. He admires Dickens' success, but claims his style is "jerky and ungrammatical" and that many of his characters are "invented puppets with a chain" instead of realistic characters.

Trollope certainly seems obsessed with the business side of novel-writing. He lists all of his novels and how much money they brought him (Autobiography was published posthumously, but written 6 or 7 years before Trollope died, so he wrote 5 or 10 novels hat are not included on the list). His writing earned him 70,000 pounds, which, by modern American standards, is probably around $3.5 million.

One story: Trollope was eating dinner one evening when two men at the next table began talking about "The Last Chronicle of Barset". "Mrs. Proudie shows up in every Trollope novel" said one. "If I couldn't invent new characters, I wouldn't write novels."

Trollope introduced himself as Mrs. Proudie's creator, and thanked the gentlemen for their critique. "In honor of your just complaint," Trollope said, "I will go home and kill Mrs. Proudie tomorrow." And he did, in one of the great scenes in English fiction.

Trollope's childhood made Dickens' youth look like a picnic. He did well in the end, though. In "Last Chrinicle" and old brick maker advises the Rev. Mr. Crawley that "it's dogged as does it." Trollope was dogged indeed.
    Last edited by Ecurb; 08-03-2016 at 01:05 PM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting post, Ecurb. The fact is, I read Barchester Tower and The Warden a long time ago. I suppose I liked the novels at the time but they must have impressed me less than other English novels I read. I don´t remember the stories any more.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

I just started reading Trollope 1 1/2 years ago and am amazed how much I enjoy his novels. He has an optimistic world view along with his admired realism. He is wonderful to read if your purpose is enjoyment. He challenges very subtly. I recently reread the autobiography for the second time for a Trollope reading group. His comments about America are very interesting. One learns a lot of history reading him, especially if one googles unknown terms or historical events that are referenced in the books. But his ability to both work and play (e.g., hunting three times a week so many years with all the effort that required) so hard for so long is awesome. His childhood was miserable but fortunately he had a mother who kept it together and was a prolific writer after age 50. Once he became about thirty his life markedly improved, and he lived as full a life of "self-actualization" as one could imagine.

Sounds interesting. I have not read any Trollope yet, but I hope to start The Way We Live Now some time in the new year.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

"The Way We Live Now" is considered by many critics to be Trollope's best novel. I disagree. As Novelheart points out, one of Trollope's most attractive features is his optimistic world-view, and his affection for all of his characters, even the villains. In "The Way we Live Now" Trollope appears to be attempting a social satire, and lacks some of his usual great-hearted affection for people. It's as if he is attempting something akin to Thackeray's "Vanity Fair".

Some readers (many of them famous critics) like this style, like cultural criticism, and think "The Way" is Trollope's best novel. I prefer all of the novels in the Barchester and the Palliser series. My choice for Trollope's best novel is "The Last Chronicle of Barset" -- although it wouldn't be quite as good if one had not read the preceding books in the series. Trollope also rated this his best novel in his autobiography, despite (as he points out himself) the awkward plot.

One of my reasons for picking The Way We Live Now is I wanted a standalone book. I did not want to start a series or read a book out of order. If I find I really like Trollope, I might start a Barchester or Palliser series.

I did think about reading a book of his called Castle Richmond. Despite being part of the United Kingdom at that time, there are few books set in Ireland in the mid C19th. The Potato Famine was a horrifically traumatic episode in Irish history, but rarely alluded to in British literature. Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South is about the only book from that period that I have read that mentions Irish 'starvelings'.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    I’ve been having a bit of a Trollope fest this year. I agree with Ecurb about The Last Chronicles (although only the Crawley plots and the deaths of Mrs Proudie and Mr Harding – I could do without Johnny Eames and Lily Dale) and about The Way We Live Now (Dickens did the failure of a mysterious banker much better with Mr Merdle in Little Dorritt.)

Dr Thorne
    is technically part of the Barset series but is really a stand alone. The cathedral clergy do not feature, as I remember. It was his most popular novel at the time, I believe.

Can You Forgive Her is the first Palliser novel but the main plot is the vacillation of Alice Vavasour between two men the rotter and the goodie (like Lily Dale).

The heroine of Ayala’s Angel has three suitors. A late novel it is not part of a series and worthwhile.

As is Orley Farm, although I wish Lady Mason would stop wringing her hands about her guilty secret and we knew a bit about her early and subsequent life. There are some fine scense of comedy in the early part of the book.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    In Orley Farm incidentally, Lady Mason's guilty secret is to do with finance, not sex, unlike Lady Dedlock and many other Victorian ladies in novels.

Trollope's lack of interest in sex may well be a good reason why some modern readers are attracted and others bored.

Although his characters are certainly not sexless - some of his young men are certainly keeping a bit on the side and we actually meet George Vavasour's kept woman in Can You Forgive Her which Trollope presents with no explicit condemnation. And his nice young ladies seem to have a tendency to have the secret hots for rotters.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Richardson View Post
    I’ve been having a bit of a Trollope fest this year. I agree with Ecurb about The Last Chronicles (although only the Crawley plots and the deaths of Mrs Proudie and Mr Harding – I could do without Johnny Eames and Lily Dale) and about The Way We Live Now (Dickens did the failure of a mysterious banker much better with Mr Merdle in Little Dorritt.)

Do without Lily Dale? Horrors! I agree that the Eames part of the story is weak -- I barely remember it. But the scene in which Lily Dale's mother gets a letter from Mr. Crosbie, and she and Lily discuss it is very good, especially for fans of "Small House at Allington". Trollope claimed that he received hundreds of letters begging him to allow Lily to happily marry her faithful Mr. Eames -- but she was true to her convictions.

Here's our heroine (the afore mentioned Miss Dale), when her mother asks her whether Colonel Grantly had talked to Grace Crawley (Miss Crawley is listenting):

"He asked her to marry him, of course. We none of us had any doubts about that. He swore to her that she -- and none but she -- should be his wife, - and all that kind of thing. But he seems to have done it in the most prosaic way, and now he has.... skeedadled."

Lily Dale rules! Smart, funny, loyal, loving. No wonder Eames likes her so much! So do I.