Quote Originally Posted by heartwing View Post
Love of literature is subjective. You have your opinion about the kind of literature you enjoy reading but others can legitimately have different tastes, no? I get what you are saying but finding beauty in the nuances of a subtly crafted story is a pleasure for those who find resonance in such works. If you don't find pleasure in that, you don't find pleasure in it. I'm not sure what is to be gained by expecting others to defend something when you are convinced already how you feel.

If you want to stay open, I will get to these stories when I have a moment. Maybe since you are expecting so much - not only a reading and discussion but a complete defense - you can get to the story for which I have already provided an analysis.
First, let me say that you are reading an antagonistic or attacking tone into my posts, but that's not my attitude. Lets put it this way: I want to understand what it is that I'm missing.

Love of literature is subjective. You have your opinion about the kind of literature you enjoy reading but others can legitimately have different tastes, no? I get what you are saying but finding beauty in the nuances of a subtly crafted story is a pleasure for those who find resonance in such works.
Ok, but what are these nuances? Be specific. Because I don't know what you are refering to, so I don't know whether I've just missed it or whether we're both aware of the same thing and its just, as you said, a matter of taste.

Like, for ex. as I said with regards to the Dance of the Happy Shades, what there IS of value in this story is the way the story kind of makes fun of this old lady and how pathetic she is painted to be, but is then vindicated at the end of the story by this one talented student she has produced. That's something, that's some content, something of interest and impact, unlike the Cowboy story which has nothing like that.

Or, for ex., another story I've now read, Postcard: What is good about this story is the way the protagonist is kind of blase about Clare, but then when Clare becomes unavailable she loses it, and at the very end when Clare becomes cool and indifferent towards her she's suddenly very attracted to him. That's something of interest, that dynamic, even tho the story, like Dance, is boring and is not vindicated by this, but its something, it has something of interest in the story. The Cowboy story has NOTHING in it. Like I said, its a transcript of a person's day.

So, can you tell me like that what you like in a particular story? It can be a story I've not read.

Do you find yourself bored as you read her stories, like I do?

If you want to stay open, I will get to these stories when I have a moment. Maybe since you are expecting so much - not only a reading and discussion but a complete defense - you can get to the story for which I have already provided an analysis.
Yes, I'd like to hear what you think about these. In particular Walker Brothers Cowboy. Other than that I've read Dance of the Happy Shades, Postcard and I'm reading Images right now. I'm going to read Vandals, also, which someone mentioned earlier.

I can't read The Flats Road, its not in the collection I have. I have the collection titled Dance of the Happy Shades And Other Stories.

I don't want an analysis or discussion, just what you find to be good in this story, what appeals to you, but specifically. Like I explained for Dance and Postcard.