Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: RIP Hector Babenco

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RIP Hector Babenco

Hector Babenco, 70, died on Wednesday evening in Hospital Sirio Libanês (São Paulo) of heart failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9ctor_Babenco
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I haven't heard of him, but I realize I don't catch the names of directors as often as the actors. I will have to look for some of his films. "Kiss of the Spider Woman" sounds interesting.

Blog Entries
    I found the complete movie. I didn´t remember it was spoken in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_fjf01iebc
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Blog Entries
    I just finished watching the movie. It was very good. After starting it I realized I saw this some decades ago, but I had forgot about it.

I tried to find his other movies on Amazon and Netfix, but At Play in the Fields of the Lord and Ironweed for example are not available live streaming.
    “What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world would split open.” ― Muriel Rukeyser
    (image: walking by crilleb50, deviantArt)

Blog Entries
    "The Kiss...." Was famoust at the time, I think also in US. The production involved people from several countries (Argentina, US, Brazil), something less usual then than today, and got Babenco an Oscar indication.
    Here is Iroonweed, a grand film too.
    https://vimeo.com/150630332
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 07-15-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    "The Kiss...." Was famoust at the time, I think also in US. The production involved people from several countries (Argentina, US, Brazil), something less usual then than today, and got Babenco an Oscar indication.
    Here is Iroonweed, a grand film too.
    https://vimeo.com/150630332
    Thank you, Danik!
    “What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world would split open.” ― Muriel Rukeyser

Blog Entries
    Ironweed looks interesting based on William Kennedy's novel. I didn't read the novel, nor do I normally watch something that is not labeled a comedy, but I realize I should expand my view of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Ironweed looks interesting based on William Kennedy's novel. I didn't read the novel, nor do I normally watch something that is not labeled a comedy, but I realize I should expand my view of the world.
    I have watched this movie before at some point and it is challenging. I know what you mean about comedies and often I watch something light at the day's end. I may try to watch it again at some point. Meryl Streep is fantastic.

Blog Entries
    For me it depends very much on my state of spirit, what I want to watch. When I want to relax I also prefer a comedy.
    I watched Ironweed a long time ago, on TV. I only remember that it is about outcasts. The actors were wonderful and I think the realism of the film is not so implacable as in his Brazilian movies.