Thread: 'A Clockwork Orange' Comparative Essay

Wilma

'A Clockwork Orange' Comparative Essay

My English Literature coursework this year requires me to write a comparative essay for two novels of my choice. I have selected 'A Clockwork Orange' to be one, but the other novel MUST be pre-1900s.

There must be some correspondence between the novels, be it within language (e.g. unique languages like Nadsat), setting (dystopian) or themes (crime & punishment), so I can compare and contrast them.

I'm hoping to find novels that are somewhat short, so I can read them quickly and easily find sections/quotes I may need.

Any and all suggestions are welcome

Do epics count? I must admit that I have not read Clockwork Orange myself, although I have a fairly good image of its main themes. As I recall, free will was a paramount theme. So I was thinking, maybe compare it to one or two of the books from Milton's Paradise Lost.

You might feel weirded out by that suggestion, but I think it could work out really well. You could compare the representation of free will in the two, showing Milton's religious interpretation of the concept and comparing and contrasting it with the secularised narrative of Clockwork Orange. The latter can be put in a context of 20th century concerns, like totalitarianism. I think both works show neither an overdeterministic interpretation of government control, nor do they provide easy ways to escape from "higher control" (i.e. God or the Government, depending on the work). Thus, I feel like a comparison between these two could lead to an interesting essay about the interplay between individual subjectivity and higher powers who may attempt to interfere with this free will and impose control over their subjects.

I repeat, I have not read Clockwork Orange myself, and I have only read two or three of Milton's books a while back. Therefore, my statements may not be entirely correct. If anyone else has input on this suggestion, then by all means!
    Without any form of punctuation, our language would not say "I'm perfect"; it would say "imperfect".

"Access to works of art cannot be defined solely in terms of physical accessibility, since works of art exist only for those who have the means of understanding them."

The pre-1900s requirement is unfortunate. What you want is Graham Greene's 1938 Brighton Rock, which is also about a hyper-violent juvenile offender who uses a lot of slang (though not nearly as much Alex and the droogie-woogs do). Maybe you could talk your prof into making an exception. But if you do, don't expect me to write the essay for you. I haven't read A Clockwork Orange since the 80s and I haven't had such bolshy yarbles in me Gulliver since then.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-16-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    And this from a man in a bunny suit.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    Arthur Morrison "A child of the Jago"
    "Published in November 1896, A Child of the Jago caused an instant furore. Few reviewers of the novel had failed to be impressed by the power of Morrison’s fiction – the savagery of the depiction of street violence, the pathos of neglected, diseased infants, the scathing attack on high-minded philanthropic interventions;"
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Wilma
    I hadn't even considered comparing governmental control in 'A Clockwork Orange' with higher powers in other novels, that's certainly something to consider!

Wilma
    Yeah, the restriction is certainly annoying, and unfortunately my essay will not be accepted if I don't stick to it but the book sounds fascinating regardless, maybe I'll read it over the summer!

Wilma
    This seems to tick all the boxes, I'll definitely have a look! Comparing the violence of the two characters' lives would be very interesting

How about Oliver Twist? Both books feature a young character involved in crime and offer some suggestion into the why's and wherefore's. Alternatively Fielding's Tom Jones might also be another one - a strapping youth who is lead astray and thumbs his nose at authority.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy14 View Post
    How about Oliver Twist? Both books feature a young character involved in crime and offer some suggestion into the why's and wherefore's. Alternatively Fielding's Tom Jones might also be another one - a strapping youth who is lead astray and thumbs his nose at authority.

I was just thinking the same thing--not so much for Oliver's character as the Artful Dodger, who embraces what he's doing and remains defiant to the end. You could also compare the tenuous ties of the respective gang members. They act like friends or even family members but they cut out on each other (or worse) if there's trouble.

I don't see a comparison with Tom Jones so much. Tom is too inherently virtuous. It seems like it's more Fielding who is thumbing his nose at moral convention by saying, look, this is the way young men are, even the virtuous ones. But there's something much worse going on with Alex.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-21-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Apart from Oliver Twist, the only book I can think of is The Netherworld by George Gissing, but it is not a brilliant match tbh.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Blog Entries
    Two that spring to mind are Moore's Utopia and Swift's Gulliver's Travels. All three books comment on their own society by depicting aternatives.
    ay up

Does it have to be a novel? You could use the first four cantos of Byron's Don Juan. Another book might be Moll Flanders and then you could get some gender comparisons too.

With Moll Flanders you get a comparison of crime and punishment, gender and moral attutides in fiction.
    Last edited by sandy14; 06-22-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Moll Flanders is an inspired idea. And read Don Juan, too. Just for the glory of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Moll Flanders is an inspired idea. And read Don Juan, too. Just for the glory of it.
    Thank you for the compliment.

The Last Straw:

Quote Originally Posted by soyblush View Post
    My English Literature coursework this year requires me to write a comparative essay for two novels of my choice. I have selected 'A Clockwork Orange' to be one, but the other novel MUST be pre-1900s.

There must be some correspondence between the novels, be it within language (e.g. unique languages like Nadsat), setting (dystopian) or themes (crime & punishment), so I can compare and contrast them.

I'm hoping to find novels that are somewhat short, so I can read them quickly and easily find sections/quotes I may need.

Any and all suggestions are welcome
    There has never been a single, great revolution in history without civil war. --- Vladimir Lenin

There are decades when nothing happens and then there are weeks when decades happen. --- Vladimir Lenin