Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Thread: Brits Out!

Quote Originally Posted by mona amon View Post
    Not my country but I'm curious - what's with all these 'referendums'? I know it is democratic, but do we really need this much democracy? Is it not better to leave these important policy decisions to the lawmakers we elect?
    The obvious answer is NO because in a de facto two party system they gang up and run the country to suit themselves. Government by referendum restricts their power in favour of the electorate.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Well said, Emil!

We have no choice but to leave it to the elected representatives its as near as you can get to democracy. As long as power never gets concentrated into a ruling elite we are safe. Dissention brings safety; the necessity to reelect confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnocrat View Post
    . As long as power never gets concentrated into a ruling elite we are safe.
    But it always does in a two party system.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Again, I agree with you, Emil. Sweden has many parties which keeps the options open. Thats just good.

Sunday 28 May 2017 Dagens Nyheter has a discussion on the growing tension in the EU over the deadlock re the Visegrad Group - http://www.visegradgroup.eu - vetoing the chance of the EU to block all attempts to admit refugees to the EU. Social Democratic Minister for Migration Morgan Johansson threatens to support a proposal to enable a majority of countries to force a decision to admit refugees. The majority for this admit this can be done, with Sweden and Germany leading the wish to do so. Hungary and Poland lead the no-sayers.

Does anyone know what is happening to the Brexit negotiations since Theresa May's second referendum? It was supposed to give her enough support to strengthen her position, but the opposite happened. Many people changed their position and opposed Brexit. With the strength of the Unionist Irish MPs she had enough support to continue but its been quiet since then.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I hope that some of the British peers return to answer that.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

An EU Army

Eurocrats are planning to expand the eu's activities into the military field. AN EU-Army comes a few steps closer, no doubt with its own military budget. Merkel, the German Chancellor, put it like this: "it make possible for all participant EU-states to execute different tasks "over the whole world". Within a few weeks or months we will look at various projects and the criteria that must be established (my translation from p.4 of "Kritiska EU fakta" Nej till EU"(September 2017).

The point about this is to pave the way for militarisation, without it even appearing to be that.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112