Thread: Comparative analysis: "A tale of two cities" and "Les Miserables"

Question Comparative analysis: "A tale of two cities" and "Les Miserables"

Does anyone believe it would be plausible to write a comparative analysis between Charles Dickens´ "A tale of two cities" and Victor Hugo´s "Les Miserable"? The aspects that I believe that could be compared is the theme of love, the theme of violence or the usage of the setting, France.

Considering the length of "Les Miserables", I am a little hesitant to analyze it, due to time constraints. Does anyone know similar works to "Les Miserables" that cover the same themes as "A tale of two cities", but are shorter in length?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Unless your task is to compare two novels, I would stick to Dickens, specially if you have a tight deadline.
    IMO begin exploring one of the themes you suggested in a A Tale of Two Cities and see where it takes you.

A theme that would make a good beginning of an analysis, which is not original at all, but may help to shape your essay is the theme of duality.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 06-20-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Unless your task is to compare two novels, I would stick to Dickens, specially if you have a tight deadline.
    "A tale of two cities"
    It´s an option to compare two works, but it isn´t an obligation. My supervisor recommends to analyze one single work in depth, rather than comparing two works.

Is there a difference between contrast and duality, or are contrast and duality synomous? Are contrasts used to convey to theme of duality?
    Last edited by tomfyhr; 06-20-2016 at 10:53 AM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I would stick to his advice, specially if, as you stated, you have difficulties in following the novel.Dickens is an author that deserves your full exertion.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    It's interesting the contrast between the two books' attitude to revolution - Dickens is far more ambiguous than Hugo. Dickens recognises the evil of the ancien regime, but the Revolution for him is evil.

I think duality means two sides of the same coin, but contrast means different coins.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1