Thread: which author made you cry ?

which author made you cry ?

your inputs ladies and jents ! .

Blog Entries
    I don't think I ever actually cried after or while reading a book, but some books did annoy me that I stopped reading them. That is a sort of crying, I suppose. If you get a chance you might try Joyce's "Finnegans Wake". It should be online somewhere. It doesn't matter where you start in it. Then see how long you get before you stop.

Knowing myself ,probably prematurely quit,whether boring or not.

I've read the Shaul,I didn't weep from the outside , but I cursed any kind of human existence. Another part,was when a beautiful girl asked the German oficer reason why people are queuing apart from her,he looked at her and didn't say anything,she gave a beautiful smile and went to join them.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Some books make me cry with laughter, like the one I´m reading just now, Good Omens.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Closed
    Dickens. A Tale of Two Cities. I bawled like a baby.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Not authors themselves but couple of books got me tearing up... The end of Grapes of Wrath, for example. Also, when I read Great Expectations and David Copperfield for the first time, I was quite affected - though that might be largely due to my age at the time.

In more recent times, probably The Road has been one book that has got to me a little as well.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Closed
    Scheherazade: The Road didn't make me cry, but I found the final scene strangely moving.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    When I was younger there was one point in all George Eliot's novels (well, p'raps not Romola) when I wept.

It hasn't happened when I've re-read them recently. That probably tell me something about me as well as about her.

And I've wept at death scenes in Dickens - Frederick Dorrit and Little Jo. But not Tale of Two Cities.

And my mum and I both wept at the Piper at the Gate of Dawn chapter in Wind in the Willows when I read it to her in her care home in the last few months of her life.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

I cry at the happy parts, especially when they are so well done that they are emotionally resonant. I never liked Dorothea or Ladislaw, but I can't read the second-to-last chapter of "Middlemarch" where Mr. Garth talks to Mary about Fred's new prospects, and then Mary informs Fred, without crying. Great stuff -- so much better than the Dorothea and Ladislaw smooch to the thundering trumpets of the sky.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Scheherazade: The Road didn't make me cry, but I found the final scene strangely moving.
    I was quite upset imagining a parent trying to survive and keep a child alive. It was very moving and stressful for me.

I often get laughter tears whenever I read some of the scenes in Three Men in a Boat as well... (I am one of those people who will get teary after laughing).
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecurb View Post
    I never liked Dorothea or Ladislaw,
    Such a relief to read that. I am far more sympathetic and moved by screwed up Mr Casaubon than earnest Will.

The bit that used to make me weep is Mrs Balstrode hearing of her husband's disgrace, changing into a plain frock and going to him, putting her hand on his shoulder and just saying "Nicholas". We only see the externals. It would be so crude to be told what she is thinking.

What has moved me is when a minor character, not very distinguished is suddenlly shown as heroically generous - Emilia in Othello, the servant in Lear who helps Gloucester after he is blinded.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Quote Originally Posted by barbarasimmings View Post
    your inputs ladies and jents ! .
    I read Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner recently. I didn't really think I'd like it, but then it was highly recommended by a friend who used to teach ESL to Afghani kids. One of her coworkers told her about this book and she couldn't stop talking about it.

The book gives you a peak into the lives of Afghani kids who live in the constant shadow of fear. It also emphasizes the importance of having a good family and how it influences a person's personality. Crying aside, I wasn't sure whether I'd even like the book. But the book made me cry like a little kid...It pierced my heart (forever) There's this line in the book: For you, a thousand times over. I've highlighted that line (don't know why I did so, though). Each time I look at that line, my eyes get moist.

If you want to read up books that showcase different cultures, The Kite Runner is one book you may want to pick up.

Closed
    Thank you for the recommendation, Zoey, and welcome to the site.

Blog Entries
    I, like others here, cannot recall ever being brought to tears by a book, though I've experienced the edge of such emotion in the form of, most typically, despair or intense sadness. The pietà trope at the end of The Grapes of Wrath comes to mind as a sort of mixture of despair and sadness (in the face of its image of hope) that came close to yanking tears from me. But, in general, my emotions while reading a book remain internal; one would never witness a physical manifestation of reading-induced emotion.
    "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
    - Rimbaud

"Il est l'heure de s'enivrer!
    Pour n'être pas les esclaves martyrisés du Temps,
    enivrez-vous;
    enivrez-vous sans cesse!
    De vin, de poésie ou de vertu, à votre guise."
    - Baudelaire