Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: art definition

Clinging to Douvres rocks Gilliatt Gurgle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Sorry, I got curious. What happened at the museum that turned your wife so averse to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    The Bernini "half a horses ***"[bum, rump, arse] incident at Kimbell does seem to need more explanation.

It was the spring of 2013, the Kimbell was hosting the exhibit Bernini Sculpting in Clay a collection of the renowned Baroque sculptor’s terracotta study models. The models served as “sketches” from which the final product in marble, or bronze would be executed.
    All was hunky dory as we made our way through the exhibit until we came upon a group clustered around a particular piece. I recall my excitement welling up, this must be the model for the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, what else could garner this much attention from the patched elbow types?
    A gap opened up and there it was, Bernini’s [i]Study of a Horse[/]…

(click o thumbnail)

To paraphrase my old lady; not only do we have a horse *** [bum, rump, arse] on display, there were five or six pseudo intellectual types, spending an inordinate amount of time transfixed with fingers to the chin analyzing the piece. Something about the whole scene set her off into a fit of laughter she could hardly contain, including her bladder. Seeing the agitation on the faces of the protection staff, it was necessary to move her out into the lobby to settle down.
    Since the Bernini horse ***[bum,rump, arse] incident, she has come to grips with her weakness and respectfully bows out of most art museum excursions.

Btw Study of a Horse was most likely used for The Vision of Constantine sculpture at the Vatican, or possibly a study for his equestrian statue of Louis the XIV.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life" - Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRma7PDW10

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    . I must say I deeply symphatize with your wifes spontaneous reception of the Bernini (bum, rump, arse). Protection staff sometimes gets over zealous.
    One unforgetable museum experience in US for me, was visiting The Metropolitan Museum of Art in the 80s together with my father. I enjoyed specially, the "1001 Nights" section.
    They created an ambience of magical dusk, dominated only by the glitter of the precious oriental jewels and trinkets.
    I have no idea if this collection is still displayed and if you haven´t seen it already. But it might be a refreshment for your wife from the naughtiness of contemporary art.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 06-19-2016 at 12:00 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    GG's anecdote surely fits in with this discussion of half-a**ed works of art.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Just as you can imagine a fisherman finding inside his net one of the missing arms of the Venus and just throwing it back in the sea annoyed with the effort to drag it out. Not all fragments are born the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliatt Gurgle View Post
    It was the spring of 2013, the Kimbell was hosting the exhibit Bernini Sculpting in Clay a collection of the renowned Baroque sculptor’s terracotta study models. The models served as “sketches” from which the final product in marble, or bronze would be executed.
    All was hunky dory as we made our way through the exhibit until we came upon a group clustered around a particular piece. I recall my excitement welling up, this must be the model for the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, what else could garner this much attention from the patched elbow types?
    A gap opened up and there it was, Bernini’s [i]Study of a Horse[/]…

(click o thumbnail)

To paraphrase my old lady; not only do we have a horse *** [bum, rump, arse] on display, there were five or six pseudo intellectual types, spending an inordinate amount of time transfixed with fingers to the chin analyzing the piece. Something about the whole scene set her off into a fit of laughter she could hardly contain, including her bladder. Seeing the agitation on the faces of the protection staff, it was necessary to move her out into the lobby to settle down.
    Since the Bernini horse ***[bum,rump, arse] incident, she has come to grips with her weakness and respectfully bows out of most art museum excursions.

Btw Study of a Horse was most likely used for The Vision of Constantine sculpture at the Vatican, or possibly a study for his equestrian statue of Louis the XIV.
    Well, here you are then... a horse's behind, and a behind of a more attractive sort.

Blog Entries
    Nice horse and rider, Iain Sparrow. Is this one of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    . .One unforgetable museum experience in US for me, was visiting The Metropolitan Museum of Art in the 80s together with my father. I enjoyed specially, the "1001 Nights" section.
    They created an ambience of magical dusk, dominated only by the glitter of the precious oriental jewels and trinkets.
    I have no idea if this collection is still displayed and if you haven´t seen it already. But it might be a refreshment for your wife from the naughtiness of contemporary art.
    Only once have I been to the Met, it was about 8 years ago, I don't recall that particular exhibit, sounds like a nice time with your father.

Iain's image in clay would have me spending an inordinate amount of time contemplating.

Speaking of rumps, and yes, I'm aware I've exhausted this image on the forums, butt if there were ever a definition of art it may very well be found with Canova. St Lukes has touched on this one as well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Th...es_(sculpture)

Last edited by Gilliatt Gurgle; 06-20-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Art, defined by the karsashians

Blog Entries
    I wonder what kind of art the Kardashians own? Here's art done by Sylvester Stallone: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ciousness.html

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I wonder what kind of art the Kardashians own? Here's art done by Sylvester Stallone: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ciousness.html
    Based on what I’m forced to learn of their ilk by way of hotel lobby and waiting room TV’s, overhearing the mind numbing tweeter prattle on the streets, I understand they favor the following periods:

Asscan* School, Abstract Siliconism, Neo Plastic Rococo and Barbie zon School.

*If the censors replace the first three letters with asterisks, then replace the asterisks with either bum, rump or arse.

EDIT: Okay, I just posted and the three letters are still there.

Hey if Rocky has the gumption to pick up a brush and throw something down, more power to him.
    I’m still searching for arts’ definition, far be it from me evaluate where his attempts fall into the grand scheme of things.
    Is it Titian no, but give it a couple hundred years and who knows?

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Steve Martin... who is a serious art collector with a good eye... wrote a humorous essay on the topic of Canova's Three Graces in which he pointed out that the work in question has long been admired for the artist having produced/sculpted three of the finest female derrieres in the history of Western art. He admits, however, that he would want to read such an acknowledgement in one of those heavy tomes on the history of art. This discussion... slipping ever lower... reminds me of the scene in Joyce's Ulysses in which he ponders whether any sculptor had ever sculpted a certain part of the anatomy which would require the viewer to strike some embarrassing positions to check out. By this late date in the history of art such a question would no longer be raised as there are probably artists specializing in rendering such... or like Manzoni... the production of such.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567