Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: art definition

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree, get the government out all together, they don't belong together.

How is that to be achieved? Government subsidies, aid, and guaranteed student loans directly or indirectly support art education at the elementary through the college/university level. Museums, symphony orchestras, opera and ballet companies, modern dance companies, theaters, etc... all benefit from direct and indirect government aid. Art collectors also benefit from tax write-offs when they donate to arts institutions or donate works of art. Obviously there are more than a few individuals who believe that a great enough number in society benefit from government aid to arts education and arts institutions so that they continue to make such an investment. But you fail to see the benefit so we should scrap it all. But where do we draw the line? What of the fortunes spent on building and maintaining interstate highways so that the upper-middle class can rapidly drive to and from work, but don't have to live in the city with all those dark-skinned people and crappy school districts and other city services? What of the trillions wasted on the military:

Personally I find such military boneyards as this:

... to be a far far more obscene waste of money than any work of art you have posted.

I am outraged by the billions in taxpayer dollars spent in the support of sports. I am outraged that the highest-paid public employees in most US states are college Football and Basketball coaches. I am outraged at tax breaks for the oil industries while all attempts at alternative fuel sources are stymied. I am outraged at the continual aid money to Israel... and Saudi Arabia. And on and on....
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    Why do people persist in this weirdness? So just because I think subsidies for art and art education are a waste I'm automatically pro massive military spending? Reducing the funding for art and reducing the 'foreign aid' budget or military budget are not mutually exclusive... not at all. I want all of it reduced frankly. You're preaching to the choir with statements like:

I am outraged by the billions in taxpayer dollars spent in the support of sports. I am outraged that the highest-paid public employees in most US states are college Football and Basketball coaches. I am outraged at tax breaks for the oil industries while all attempts at alternative fuel sources are stymied. I am outraged at the continual aid money to Israel... and Saudi Arabia. And on and on....
    It's just that this thread is about art and I'm commenting on how silly it is that jacking off into seven bottles can be given a government subsidy. If you want to talk about how foreign aid to Israel and Saudi Arabia is a grotesque absurdity then start a thread about that; I'll be the first in line to agree with you.
    Last edited by Clopin; 06-15-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    So with the courage of a clown, or a cur, or a kite jerkin tight at it's tether

Blog Entries
    I suppose we should stick to government waste when it comes to the arts since the thread is about art.

Maybe what the government could do is give each individual taxpayer an equal proportion of the money it now spends on art and allow each taxpayer to spend that money as he or she sees fit except the money must be spent within a year and it must be spent on "art" defined broadly enough so that it includes ebooks and songs and museum memberships and urine immersed objects.

Government funding of art includes:

Public art museums.
    Art, music, and drama programs at public elementary and secondary schools.
    Fine arts (and literature and art history) programs at state funded universities. (Clopin doesn't want "grants" to students who study in these programs, but the programs would vanish completely without some funding.)

School music and art programs have suffered major cuts in funding in recent years. Those opposed to government funding of art (I assume) approve. Perhaps not, though. Does the public benefit from art curricula in schools? I'm guessing that even today, after the cuts, such programs cost the government far more than the relatively minor expenditure on direct subsidies. Also, although literature classes in secondary school can be justified as serving the purpose of enhancing literacy, at the University level the result of cutting funding for art might include eliminating literature programs, art history programs, and possibly other programs in the humanities. Is it reasonable to fund the study of art while eliminating all funding for the study of how to create it?

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If your suggestion is accepted by the government, Yes/No, I'm packing my bags instantly to go to US.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    I'm not holding my breath about any such proposals being accepted.

I was thinking about this thread during a yoga class and I thought to myself: Why fight it? Surrender. I thought about what it would take to start a business that provided for the emotional needs of this discriminating art public. The company wouldn't need much training and none at government expense. We could learn how to paint a white canvas or put a big rock on a museum's lawn or urinate into a vat containing someone else's sacred or profane symbols on our own. I checked my values and I realized that, yes, for the right price, I would be willing to find someone to urinate on just about anything. I might only have to charge some people a little more.

Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I'm not holding my breath about any such proposals being accepted.

I was thinking about this thread during a yoga class and I thought to myself: Why fight it? Surrender. I thought about what it would take to start a business that provided for the emotional needs of this discriminating art public. The company wouldn't need much training and none at government expense. We could learn how to paint a white canvas or put a big rock on a museum's lawn or urinate into a vat containing someone else's sacred or profane symbols on our own. I checked my values and I realized that, yes, for the right price, I would be willing to find someone to urinate on just about anything. I might only have to charge some people a little more.
    Meanwhile I was saying, "Come on YesNo, are you going to slow down or drive?"

Maybe avoiding yoga class is the answer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum View Post
    Meanwhile I was saying, "Come on YesNo, are you going to slow down or drive?"

Maybe avoiding yoga class is the answer.
    If the business takes off, clearly I won't have time for yoga. I sometimes also wonder during yoga class whether it is time to cut my toe nails especially when I'm trying to do one of those forward bend positions. Or at least wash the feet.

Closed
    There once was a chap called YesNo
    Who didn't know if he should go.
    His tap on the brake
    Was a tease--the big fake!--
    That caused Pompey Bum's cork to blow.

Blog Entries

I don’t understand why everyone wants to watch me make immersion art

My critics are certainly right.
    I do my best work through the night
    And my prices reflect
    The immense intellect
    That they lack though they pay with delight.

When we fund our art with our taxes,
    No pressure! The artist relaxes!
    He flings pee and poo
    Over me, over you
    And sells us his solo climaxes.

Blog Entries

The political undercurrents of immersion art therapy

We, the people, smart sheep, all agree
    When it tinkles or pours: “It is pee!”
    We will learn like a rat
    To survive in a vat,
    Pay our taxes so art can flow free.

Closed
    The Christian religion's been dissed
    And my money to taxes dismissed.
    When we reach eschatology
    You may need an apology:
    Then we'll see how you like Jesus pissed.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-16-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Just seeing how long I can drag out this chain of limericks

Cast a spell. Drive the devils from art.
    Say a prayer and they’ll leave like a fart.
    Though it smells as it blows,
    The air fills, rubble goes
    From the head to the toes. Grab your heart.

Closed
    An eruption of art has out broken!
    And let this for all men be a token:
    The iambs of Byron
    And marble of Myron
    Have made way for palletes piss-soaken.
    Last edited by Pompey Bum; 06-17-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast