Thread: Three Rules for Writing a Novel

Three Rules for Writing a Novel

I'm reading a book called Three Rules for Writing a Novel: A Guide to Story Development. The title is hilarious because its taken from a quote by Somerset Maugham. 'There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.'

So no one knows what the book you're reading is about? lol

I'm wondering what is actually written in this book if the aforementioned quote is at the very beginning. Funny.

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Don't you just love those "How to" books? "How to become a success with women / How to attain levitation / How to become Prime Minister." All come to mind.

In fact there are too many variables on how to write a novel : experience, imagination, grasp of the language, the kernel of an idea or theme, drunk, or sober, horny or of ascetic inclinations, and getting discovered, ( preferable whilst still kicking.)

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi, Mani

Hope you´re fine!

"How to" books can be useful, though there are some things you won´t learn with them.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Hi buddy.
    I'm fine thanks. After a long time I tried Lit Net on my I-pad and all came out well on the format. So I put in my six pence worth. But this morning (Sunday) on my lap top, its all messed up again !!!.
    The news my end is that in the UK we have missed all the heat of Europe and elsewhere, and I'm off in October for 28 days in the Mekong Delta. Really looking forward to it. Might even start writing again. I hope all is well with you. Take care. M.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi, Mani

The browsers on your I-pad and on your lap top seem to be different. Litnet works better on older, more simple eventually open source browsers like Duck, Duck, for example.

Have a nice trip!
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row