Thread: A Tale of Two Cities vs The Silmarillion vs Moby Dick

A Tale of Two Cities vs The Silmarillion vs Moby Dick

Which is the best written?

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can we settle for saying that they are all written quite differently?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

All are written differently, but Moby-Dick's prose seems more fun and experimental, so if that's what you like, I'd pick Moby-Dick.

I like lokasenna's answer to the question. I might be answering a different question then.

I hated moby dick; probably even more than I hated a catcher in the rye.

I tried reading the silmarillion once and found it more or less incomprehensible.

a tale of two cites was accessible, made sense, and was on the whole, enjoyable.
    Last edited by bounty; 04-27-2016 at 07:38 PM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A Tale of Two Cities was for a long time my favorite book.
    I like Moby Dick's symbolic force but maybe it is a bit too extensive.
    I didnīt read The Silmarillion.
    But I also agree with Lokasenna. This are three very different books with distinct backgrounds. Two of them are classics from the 19th century (one of them English the other from the USA). The Silmarillion
    was published in the seventies.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 04-27-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    The Nantucket chapters of Moby Dick. Ok the pitch and style of the writing doesn't alter much after that, but Melville turns from the story a little too often for me, and I think pace and narrative are as important as the technical content in "writing".

The realization of the characters in Tale of Two Cities is, as usual with Dickens, brilliant. The way Madame DeFarge emerges so menacingly from the page is a tour de force of how to create a fully formed character with (a few) words.

I haven't read The Silmarillion.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 04-28-2016 at 07:24 AM.
    ay up

I read the Silmarillion at the second attempt when I was a teenager. Probably what made it easier was that I had gone through a religious phase and had read the King James Old Testament. It is written in a similar style to Genesis. I did not like the Tale of Two Cities so much as other of Dickens' books. I think this was largely because it was easy to spot the major plot twist from about half the book in, plus the end notes more or less gave it away. I have not read Moby Dick yet, but I hope to this year.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    i read and re-read The Lord of the Rings as a teenager. I re-read it a few years back and thought how corny the "heroic" bits with the Men of Rohan are with their cod King James prose. I've only looked briefly in The Simarillion in a bookshop. Half way down page one I saw a paragraph starting "And it came to pass..."

O no, I thought and read no further.

I agree with kev that Tale of Two Cities is not as enjoyable as other Dickens. It is his least typical novel to my mind. It lacks the vulgarity of much of his other work and at the same time misses the energy. It has been said it is the favourite Dickens novel of readers who don't appreciate Dickens.

I haven't read Moby Dick for years and it's not my thing really, but of the three must be the one with the most impressive and individual prose style.

So on that basis it is the "best written".
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

I am still trying to decide between Old Man and the Sea and Rememberance of Things Past.