Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you greet people in your homeland?

I am head over heels, absolutely unequivocally in love with a tv show on nbc called "the voice."

I notice there is a lot of hugging between the contestants and the coaches, even when at the very beginning of the show the two sides are complete strangers to each other.

its fascinating to consider why that is...

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If it is a singer contest, we had a very similar one here some weeks ago. In fact we had "The Voice" and "The Voice Kids", the second one for children and teens. I didn´t watch it but there usually is a lot of emotional display, the coaches dance to the sound of the songs.
    Here you have a bit of a good presentation of "The Voice Kids"+hug:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qDCobFGdgM
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 04-21-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I can't imagine why I would hug another man, but maybe my imagination isn't working at the moment.
    The hugs come from the heart,,,,,, meaning long true feelings as friends

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodman Brown View Post
    The hugs come from the heart,,,,,, meaning long true feelings as friends
    Good point. I probably don't have that many friends or maybe I don't want to presume that other person is a friend.

Thank you Danik,

your words let me beleave that not everyone thinks I am the antichrist. I am only Christian in the authentic interpretation. Just not a servant of the beast's servants, like the catholic or the protestant church all over the planet. Well, honestly, I don't know, what people like me would say about me, because I never meet an other person like me. Even my biologic parents never loved me and they can't love me today, too. All because they are not able to love, what they don't understand. I don't love them, because they are not valuable enough for the truth of love. So, this little excuse about etarnal ice will continue.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I think August hit the nail on the head with:

"Well, honestly, I don't know, what people like me would say about me, because I never meet an other person like me."

We are each unique in all our quirks and characteristics.

Yes Dreamwoven, you are right in some kind of hoping the best about everyone. But what if I would tell you that nearly every human on earth is a mechanical man built by the weakness of mortal flesh and programed to get the illusion to think that there is freedom outside the holy rules and laws of god. Etarnal love and harmony are the harmony of his heavens and nobody should try to butcher his being into materialistic populism. But that happened all over the time, done by nearly everyone breathing on this planet. So the dogma about predestination is so strange ? Their is nothing like equality. Neither on earth, nor in hell, nor in heavens.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Good point. I probably don't have that many friends or maybe I don't want to presume that other person is a friend.
    Yesno you give the impression of being a very poor person,,,,

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A bit off topic as the discussion is turning in this direction:
    For several reasons I have been forced to stay much at home lately. One of these reasons is that I work at home. And I noticed something interesting:while my virtual communication increased a lot I was having much less contact to my real life friends.
    Those of us who grew up without PC and internet, probably miss the time when to meet some one you had to go somewhere, or you would invite your friends to your home and provide some snacks and drinks. Now if you want to talk to someone you just open your PC. And, very often, there is no one else in the room. The question is: have we become more or less lonely than before with virtual reality?
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 04-22-2016 at 08:00 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodman Brown View Post
    Yesno you give the impression of being a very poor person,,,,
    Poor but happy.

Hello Danik,

I wish dearly to say, your thoughts about the computer evolution are right, but I can't do that, because I don't want to be false. In my whole life machines and toy pets are my only and best friends and books about the chants of truth in each direction, which exists out there and inside. But who likes a master of theoretic math also loving Emily Dickinson and understanding her too ? Well, I think nobody. But I will continue to search my baptise by fire and gasolin. God showed me
    that way of martyr. I heartly love this thought to leave my body prison by burning like a torch, but we will see when who ever will appear to execute me. I don't care who will do it, or where, or even what will be his motivation. It doesn't matter. It is god's will and also mine, it's my way to freedom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    A bit off topic as the discussion is turning in this direction:
    For several reasons I have been forced to stay much at home lately. One of these reasons is that I work at home. And I noticed something interesting:while my virtual communication increased a lot I was having much less contact to my real life friends.
    Those of us who grew up without PC and internet, probably miss the time when to meet some one you had to go somewhere, or you would invite your friends to your home and provide some snacks and drinks. Now if you want to talk to someone you just open your PC. And, very often, there is no one else in the room. The question is: have we become more or less lonely than before with virtual reality?
    There have been so many changes in our lives in the last 2 decades, and even just in the last decade when it comes to technology. I grew up in a house with a tv and a vcr. I remember when we got our first computer and it only had word and paint in it. There was no internet at the time. Now I describe this to my son who is almost 10 and in our home we have a flatscreen tv, playstation 4, laptop and an ideapad. A life without these things seem impossible, even to me (well some of these things).

It's not just that we are able to communicate with the world when we are alone but also entertainment comes in abundance. When I was a kid there were two tv stations on the ice and you had to pay for one of them so in my home there was just one. If there was nothing on tv you went outside and met up with friends, or as it was more often in my case, read a book or did something else.

The good thing about having this technology is that you can be in contact with the world in a simple way. As a kid I had about 30 penpals from different countries, but when I got an e-mail and learned how to use the internet it opened a whole new world.

I think people, and especially kids, need a bit of both.

We can get lonely in front of a computer alone at home, but it can also be lonely in a crowded room.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    "Penpals: Helga, I've entirely forgotten the meaning of that word...

Oh Helga, mignon, here at the worst asylum known to me, the welfare appartement of my parents, my kind of home from birth until now, I am happy I could cry, each time my "dad" ignores me being only 3 meters away from him for sometime. The other option is, that he gets angry and abuse me with his insane sadistic behaviour like he always did in my 25 years and he did it extremly often and multiple times a day. The only help my depressive borderline mother gives me to date is, that I should stop showing some kind of emotions, because she can't see any kind of feelings without losing control, too. Well, all that happens the last time around 30 minutes ago, but it is inpolite to speak about that, isn't it ? Why I share that here is quite simple, someone could react with empathy. Something I never saw til date from face to face. I tell this everyone since nearly 10 years, who could perhabs help, for example teachers, psychiatrists, psychologists and so on. Everybody tells the same thing. This thing is, why do you thing I would care ? That is note my departement. Sorry and Goodbye. Even the police never did anything for me. All that stuff is only a small part I live everyday with. The are so much more traumas and rape abuse I got from everyone I ever get to know in my live. The whole reason is terrible and simple, nobody like brillant eccentrics as classmate or a son like that. Well they tortured everything like human behaviour out of me. But, at least the proof with a psychologic test, that I am completly sane. Did I hear something like sorry ? No, they only say nobody like brillants they can't understand, so what you want ? At least the try to solve the riddle with some kind of I.Q. test. The result was on the one hand, that I am even more brillant than Albert Einstein, but on the other hand they admit that their test moduls are not so perfect they thought they were. So my gift is probably much higher they can calculate with this kind of math. So I crushed Gauß Bell curve, but does it matter ? No, because life criped me nearly to autism.
    Last edited by August Guelfen; 04-23-2016 at 08:12 AM. Reason: My abilities in writing english are not perfect

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    We can get lonely in front of a computer alone at home, but it can also be lonely in a crowded room.
    That reminds me of being in a crowded bar with three or four co-workers talking about office politics that I couldn't care less about, but I still had to make sure I didn't step on the wrong side of the political divide. Of course, what else do we have to talk about? I didn't feel lonely at the time, but I would have preferred being in front of a computer alone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast