Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is alcohol highly overrated?

Is alcohol highly overrated?

In my opinion a lot of alcohol culture as shown in Rv shows like Sex and the City is about showing off to others and even trying to impress one's self, like when a smoker holds a cigarette in his mouth while his hands are typing. I say this as an ex-smoker and ex-heavy drinker. If it were called 'fermented grape-juice' I doubt wine would hold the same je ne sais quoi.

Certainly smoking has lost the heroic image it used to hold in public opinion. It's seen more as a grubby addiction these days.

I do still enjoy a nice beer or wine sometimes, but it's not as interesting or impressive to me as homemade gnocchi in a nice sauce. I notice that a number cultures with high rates of drunkenness also have a fairly bland national cuisine, eg. England and the Baltic.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I drink in moderation - there can be weeks between drinks for me. But I must say that there are few things more enjoyable than a glass of fine scotch or well aged port.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by fajfall View Post
    In my opinion a lot of alcohol culture as shown in Rv shows like Sex and the City is about showing off to others and even trying to impress one's self, like when a smoker holds a cigarette in his mouth while his hands are typing. I say this as an ex-smoker and ex-heavy drinker. If it were called 'fermented grape-juice' I doubt wine would hold the same je ne sais quoi.

Certainly smoking has lost the heroic image it used to hold in public opinion. It's seen more as a grubby addiction these days.

I do still enjoy a nice beer or wine sometimes, but it's not as interesting or impressive to me as homemade gnocchi in a nice sauce. I notice that a number cultures with high rates of drunkenness also have a fairly bland national cuisine, e.g. England and the Baltic.
    An interesting question. Much will depend on the age of the smoker/drinker. If young, say 16 - 20, the influence of films and mass media will be more likely to inform their behaviour than someone who is older and more experienced or jaded with both practices.
    Wine is generally of two types: those that can be drunk on their own and wines that are grown to accompany certain foods but if, as with myself, one doesn't eat meat and has a poor appetite, there is little point in buying expensive wines when basic stuff will do.
    Beer, if of good quality, is always welcome and I am fussy about what I drink as I prefer ale to lager; I haven't smoked for many a year.

Blog Entries
    I used to smoke for a couple of years starting in college, but then I got a severe cold and I forgot the desire to have a cigarette. As far a alcohol goes, I have tried beer, wine and tequila (in margaritas), but I drink very rarely which is probably as it should be since I can't tell the good stuff from the bad stuff and I don't even know the difference between ale and lager nor do I have a clue what scotch or aged port is supposed to taste like.

Blog Entries
    I think it is over-rated in many ways, I hardly ever drink, it has been a few years since I had any alcohol at all. I am not against it but I see people abuse it way to often and I don't like the feeling alcohol gives me, so I'd just rather not. That being said, I thin dark beer well brewed can be the best. When I was in England a couple of years ago, getting Guinness, poured correctly was brilliant. And there are many good breweries here on the ice.

When it comes to smoking, I used to smoke a pipe for a few years before I got pregnant. Threw up if I smelled smoke after that and haven't started again, now almost 11 years later still not smoking. But I have to admit, there is something about a pipe that I love. I even have a collection. I loved the ceremony of pipe smoking. Maybe I will pick it up again when I'm old and gray.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I used to smoke for a couple of years starting in college, but then I got a severe cold and I forgot the desire to have a cigarette. As far a alcohol goes, I have tried beer, wine and tequila (in margaritas), but I drink very rarely which is probably as it should be since I can't tell the good stuff from the bad stuff and I don't even know the difference between ale and lager nor do I have a clue what scotch or aged port is supposed to taste like.
    Not drinking is a good way to save money, I read recently that Donald Trump doesn't drink or smoke, but there is the question of stress, which for many people is relieved by alcohol as it is by smoking.
    There are many brands of Scotch whisky: Glenfiddich 12-year-old, though expensive, is superb although there are many that cost a lot more .
    Port wine is wonderful and can also be expensive, I paid £100 for a bottle in Harrod's wine department a couple of years ago but even the cheaper varieties are very good.
    Because it is fortified with brandy, it's only possible to drink a couple of glasses before falling asleep. I knew someone who had never drunk it and liked it so much that he finished the bottle and then slept for 36 hours.
    Ale, which is called English Ale or Bitter, varies in quality but the best ones make for a very satisfying drink, although many pubs won't sell them because they are deemed by customers to be too pricey.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I think alchohol is overrated. It saves money to be a nondrinker, and it also seems that being seen with a glass of alchohol in your hand isn't so 'stylish' anymore.

For a regular smoker, the relaxation is just a relief from the nicotine withdrawal syndrome. A good cigar can have a nice aroma, but smoking is very unhealthy, and rather unpleasant to witness.

Being an alcoholic is not a good idea either, but enjoying the odd pint or a good glass of wine, perhaps with dinner, or a snifter of something stronger is not too unhealthy (and can actually have some real health benefits, too).

Quote Originally Posted by Alex White View Post
    I think alchohol is overrated. It saves money to be a nondrinker, and it also seems that being seen with a glass of alchohol in your hand isn't so 'stylish' anymore.
    It sure saves money but I don't think people drink to be stylish, as with smoking it's usually a case of trying to relax.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I used to drink a bottle of cheap wine each night, and there are states of mind it creates that are far more passionate and creative than when sober. Coleridge was an opium addict and imagery in Rime of the Ancient Mariner suggests a similar mind frame. But I feel a pleasanter joy when I've cooked a good meal from scratch, like lamb shanks roasting in the oven for three hours to accompany handmade pappardelle.

My main reason for not drinking is financial. But sometimes alcohol worsens something yet people pay extra for it just because of the notion of alcohol. Hence my thought that it's often highly overrated. I had a Bailleys ice cream the other day that was half the size of other gourmet ice cream for the same price. What a waste of money. The flavour was inferior to other luxury ingredients that would make ice cream expensive, like true vanilla bean. I do like alcohol in tiramisu though.
    Last edited by fajfall; 04-21-2016 at 08:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fajfall View Post

I do like alcohol in tiramisu though.
    I can't stand alcohol in food, I think it ruins everything. My mom always gets a Christmas cake that has been drowned in port, she loves it, but I think it's disgusting. Chocolate mousse with alcohol, disgusting, but with coffee, yes, I like that.

Maybe a coffee addiction thread is needed. I for one can't get through the day without it.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Alterations are the reason for drinking. Alter the way your mind sets. Just get the hell out of yourself sometimes. Moderation is good. Working like a dog all the time , wishing I was rich doesn't help so.

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    It sure saves money but I don't think people drink to be stylish, as with smoking it's usually a case of trying to relax.
    Yes, I see what you mean. I wonder why people have so much trouble relaxing? I'm not trying to be facetious, just wondering.

Maybe a coffee addiction thread is needed. I for one can't get through the day without it.[/QUOTE]

Coffee and writers definitely go together! :-)

Blog Entries
    I'm more of a coffee addict as well. I prefer it black or, even better, espresso. However, all we have at home is a French press.

Lately, we've been getting into the practice of putting a teaspoon of coconut oil in the coffee. It makes the coffee look oily, and almost undrinkable, but it tastes OK. It is supposed to cure everything. Even stuff that doesn't need curing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast