Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: The funniest book or story you can remember

we had a very brief but major storm last week and ive been without a dial tone on my phone, and therefore no internet, for a handful of days. the phone line got fixed yesterday but my internet connection actually seems a bit worse as a result of it---so I cant get to the website, but thank you. sometime when im at the library i'll look into don marquis.

on the critter front though---last week I fed momma deer a small watermelon, she ate the whole thing!
    Last edited by bounty; 07-27-2023 at 08:35 PM.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That's ok, Bounty.Hope the weather improves up there.
    Lol. Momma deer is really eating for two or more. And in the heat a watermelon is so refreshing.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Funniest book I ever read was Mark Twain's Practical Jokes With Artemus Ward (1872). I understand the book is now back in print after many decades. As someone who has played wicked practical jokes on others (and have had a few played on me), I know what the consequences of this activity can be. But in the end everyone has a good laugh. Some really good laughs, in fact.
    When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent

~ Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    I have already learnt a lot from you, bounty, and I am going to have a look at this author. I never heard about him but he seems to be hilarious.
    Somehow your post made me remember the funny animal/family stories of Gerald Durrell, an English author and zoologist? who moved with his family from England to Greece. His most known and very funny book is: "My family and other animals".
    Yes, I agree. That's a great book.

I have never found anyone funnier than Evelyn Waugh and P. G. Wodehouse. Waugh is darker and nastier. With Wodehouse, you have to read him out loud. Ideally, you must read him in a refined, upper class British-English accent. Or listen to a good audio recording. But the reader must have a British-English accent (Stephen Fry is very good).

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678