Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The funniest book or story you can remember

I know one of the fun things about all the tom Clancy novels is how he's got 3 or 4 different concurrent narratives going on that eventually all end up coming together. there is at least something like that with this book, although, sometimes you'll be reading along and go "what the heck does that have to do with the story?"

the book might be a little like Shakespeare in that it takes someone smarter than me to point out x, y and z that im probably oblivious to.

without bells! danik, how will the birds and chipmunks and squirrels and whatever else know there is a killer on the prowl if not for her bells?

yes, you might remember from last summer my telling of the kittens and the aggravation with getting the local shelters/clinics to help with her in a timely fashion before another litter came along and finally one stepped up and let me jump the line with her. I trapped her, took her in, they took her 1 1/2 hours away to a lost cost clinic to get fixed (she was in heat when they did the operation, so we couldn't have been cutting it any closer), brought her back, I went to fetch her, and then let her roam free until the weather got back in the late fall.

in the states, free ranging/wild/homeless cats that have been fixed have a small portion of their left ear clipped to that other concerned people can tell their status.

for the most part I leave the door open. sometimes she disappears for hours at a time. a lot of times she hangs around outside of house and comes and goes.

I have a momma deer who hangs out in my yard and I haven't yet seen spritzer noticing her.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, its the technique used with the Brazilian Soapis. I think the authors would be flattered by your comment likening them to Shakespeare. But are you talking about references?
    Poor murderous Spitzer! But there must be a lot of small animals in your yard. Some of them I even don't know.
    Here in the city we usually have rats and doves. But my Tino
    was such a good hunter that I had to rescue the birds he hunted through the net around the balcony.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

oh my using Shakespeare in this instance isn't meant as a compliment.

I don't know what youre asking when you enquired about references danik---can you try again?

there is a lot, seemingly, that goes on in the book that doesn't move the story forward. I find that almost a bit tedious.

I live in the woods so plenty of woodland critters yes.

I cant remember the number but the number of birds that are killed by cats every year is a pretty large one.

I accidently made a double post but as opposed to just writing that and leaving the thread, i'll mention that there is some whoppin' big forest fire up in Canada, and its affecting the weather and the conditions where I live many hundreds of miles away. its hazy everywhere and the smell of smoke is in the air. it must be pretty bad...
    Last edited by bounty; 06-07-2023 at 04:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    re: fire in Canada - yes, it's in the news... NYC looks like some of these cities now... https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...2023-rankings/

... reminds me of home, here in the Gold Country in the Summer - Winter months (Fire season)

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    Sorry! With references I mean the great authors or works that influence later works. For example, Homer was a reference of
    many modern works of literature and cinema and so was Shakespeare.

Sorry that the novel is becoming tedious.

I heard about the fire in the news. And the admin of another forum I frequent, lives in New York City and there the air is very
    bad too. All outdoor activities were called of.

I imagine that animals and plants are also feeling the effects
    of the polluted air.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 06-07-2023 at 09:26 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

I wouldn't say these authors have been influenced by Shakespeare, nor that they make reference to his works in the book, that I can tell anyways, although maybe I missed some or im otherwise not remembering them.

I have other Pratchett books but its good bet I wont be reading another one in the future. I also have a gaiman book, stardust, which was made into a movie, that I sorta enjoyed, id be willing to give that a chance.

right now the authors are going on about witches and newton pulsifier (why the bizarre names I wonder?) is on his way to investigate some strange phenomenon that may be associated with them.

haven't looked into news about the fire up north but the sky here today is seemingly normal. a few days ago the sunset looked like something out of krypton.
    Last edited by bounty; 06-11-2023 at 07:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    I wasn't thinking of your novel, when I suggested Shakespeare. I remember so little about the story. I think its main references are the Bible, specially Genesis and all these legends about fallen devils.

Sorry that the book isn't more entertaining.
    I saw the sky of NY in the news. A yellow kind of smoke that looked terrible. And you are affected by a fire in Canada.

well you lost me on references danik, but that's okay.

yes, the fall of man, and some of the angels serve as the premise for the story.

you probably saw new York city? I think it was worse there than anywhere else in the state. its hard to know if the temperatures we're experiencing are on the lower verges of normal or if they have been heavily affected by the smoke. this last week the thermometer on my porch in the mornings was registering temperatures not many degrees above freezing.

in the reading last night newton crosses paths with a flying saucer manned by toad-like creatures that accost him about the buildup of acid rain.
    maybe its a not too subtle jab at mankind needing to be more environmentally minded but as you go along reading, youre like "what the heck?"

Blog Entries
    Sorry!

Yes, they showed New York City. I think not many people here, unless thei´ve been there, associate New York with the rural part of the state. But it looked terrible, like something, as you said, out of Science Fiction.
    The thermometers have been running crazy here too. A mild winter would be ok but the summer probably will be specially hot, we will be able to fry eggs on the pavement, with El Niño in Charge of temperatures.

Science Fiction kind of scares me, specially if there is a risk of it becoming true as in the case of pandemics.

you might enjoy the author robin cook danik.

i recently watched alita, battle angel and loved it. the main character, alita, and many of the other characters, are cyborgs.

and i'll probably re-watch ready, player one sometime, much of the movie takes place in a virtual reality.

last nights reading was interesting, newton the witch hunter and anathema a witch are together and talking about agnes nutter's book of prophecy. somehow this has got to be tied to adam and Armageddon.

Blog Entries
    I´ll take a look, Bounty, thanks!

ive enjoyed every robin cook book ive ever read.

the books picked up a little bit (though im cynically thinking it wont last).

since warlock isn't the anti-Christ, some of the upper demons are kinda hacked off at Crowley and a couple of them were sent to retrieve him so he can be tortured for his failure. he was able to kill one of them with a holy water trap, and right now he's being chased, through the phone lines, by the other one.

Blog Entries
    Just looked Cook up, the inventor of the medical thriller. Never read him, but i think his books became famous here too, specially Coma.

Seems Good Omens has improved or you got used to it.

coma was one of the first biggies danik---been lots of others.

I recently watched a movie I can recommend to you---creepy scary along the lines of what you mentioned earlier [I[the invasion[/I] with Nicole Kidman and Daniel craig.

nah, just occasional interesting parts---hit and miss, the near ending was kinda like that when all the characters ended up at the same place at the same time and amargeddon didn't happen. I finished the book, glad to be done with it, wont read another Pratchett!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast