Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The funniest book or story you can remember

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just bought Good Omens (Terry Pratched & Neil Gaiman), which promises a lot of fun.
    I loved "Bobok", which I read years ago.
    "Gogol is one of my first recommendations if someone wants to read humorous works in Russian literature."
    Yes, humour used as a instrument of social criticism.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 05-29-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    Just bought Good Omens (Terry Pratched & Neil Gaiman), which promises a lot of fun.
    It's superb, and not quite like anything else I've ever come across - I really hope you enjoy it!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Loki!
    I am still at the beginning, sorting out devils, angels and humans and seeing what they all are up to.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    It's not high art by any measure, but Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman remains my most re-read novel, and still makes me laugh out loud with every reading.

There are so many truly funny authors out there, though, that it feels hard to cherry-pick just a few, or to make comparisons between very different styles: the riotous and filthily funny farces of Ben Jonson are miles removed from the glorious sarcasm and sharp wit of Jane Austen, but both can make me howl with laughter.
    interesting timing---on a lark I re-visited this old thread at the same time im about to by looking for my next book to read---and I just recently came across good omens and could use a laugh...

so danik---did you finish the book?
    Last edited by bounty; 05-20-2023 at 05:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lol! I didn´t remember this thread from the year I joined LitNet.

Yes I finished the book and I had a lot of fun. But there is wisdom too about human choices of good or evil. I recommend it: Funny, warm, wise and very, very British.

im 62 pages in danik and finding it okay. sometimes a little bizarre, sometimes interesting, sometimes a little chuckle or two, and a bit intriguing.

right now both Crowley and aziraphale, are involved in the life of warlock, the little kid who is supposed to be "the adversary, destroyer of kings, angel of the bottomless pit, great beast that is called dragon, prince of this world, father of lies, spawn of satan and lord of darkness."

Blog Entries
    I remember it took me some time, Bounty, to get used to the characters.

If I rightly remember the little kid will take its time to be born. There are other issues to be tackled first.

the little kid is very early in the book. he's 11yrs old now but the problem is the satan worshipping nuns messed up switching the babies and "warlock" is the wrong kid. Crowley and aziraphale have figured that out and they are on their way back to the hospital to see if they can rectify the situation.

Blog Entries
    Yes, i remember about messing up the babies, Bounty.But I don't remember on which side Crowley and aziraphale are.

in the beginning of the book they have a cast of character. aziraphale is described as "an angel, and part-time rare book dealer" and Crowley is described as "an angel who did not so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards."

the haven't found the kid they are looking for yet, but he (adam) has finally appeared in the book, role-playing the Spanish inquisition with some of his neighborhood friends.

Blog Entries
    I remember the book being very irreverent. It is one of its charms.

if I am understanding things rightly, Crowley actually likes humanity and he's working together with aziraphale in order to stop Armageddon. so somehow they have to find adam and prevent him from fulfilling his destiny as the anti-Christ.

Blog Entries
    I suspect the other baby will appear too, but I'm not sure about it.

adam is the other baby---at first they thought warlock was the right one and when he didn't show any signs of being evil by bringing about the end of the world, they abandoned following him and went looking for the other baby by going back to the place where the babies were born, but the records had been destroyed in a fire.

the most recent development, after the faux Spanish inquisition, is that adam seems to somehow be caught up in the disappearance of 500 tons of uranium.

one of the cute/funny things about the book is how every piece of music that gets left in Crowleys car for a certain length of time turns into music from "the best of Queen."

forgot to mention, spritzer wasn't on the porch last night when I went to bed and didn't come when I called her, so she spent her first night outside since I lured her into the house last fall. thankfully she was outside the door on the mat this morning. I let her in to eat, she spent some time wrestling with bark and now she's right back outside.
    Last edited by bounty; 06-03-2023 at 09:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    I think one of the reasons because I remember so little of the plot in spite of enjoying it is because it is a complex novel several things happening at once, and a lot of details.

I am glad to read that Spritzer is well and enjoying life outside, hopefully without bells, with occasional visits to you. Do you know if she has been neutered?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast