Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is There a 2016 short story competition?

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Too few entries and too few voters. I guess Sher and company got tired of wasting their time. Most of the poetry contests have also had little attention. I've given up on them as well. Ah, this used to be a better place to share ideas...
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am still new here and I like this site very much, but I miss more activity. Every day there are new members but where are those who keep these pages going?
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 05-28-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhar View Post
    My story 'Happy Endings' was one of the 3 stories tied with the others. I can say for myself that at least I did not get the prize money. There hasnt been even any kind of announcement if all 3 were declared winners. That is particularly disheartening to me. I have been participating in this contest for years now and the one time I (kind of) win, there isn't even an acknowledgement about it, let alone getting the prize money.
    Do you have a blog on Wordpress or Google, Nikhar?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    Do you have a blog on Wordpress or Google, Nikhar?

I do. I try to put up all my stories there.
    https://mudnpetrichor.wordpress.com/
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by desiresjab View Post
    You and the other two "winners" may have to go to sudden death play, as in a 500 word flash fiction runoff.

The silence of the admin has us all baffled at the moment. They may want to roll that $300 over into the next contest, making the prize $600 for the upcoming grand event, capping it right there to discourage skullduggery.

It really wasnt about the money. Any kind of acknowledgement would have done. Even a simple, 'Sorry we can't pay you this time.' would've been much better than this silence.
    People laugh at me 'coz they think I'm a fool...I smile because I made someone laugh
    Nikhar Agrawal

Blog Entries
    Yes, I think that strange too. You deserve some explanation or at least some acknowledgement.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "

Any news from anywhere/anyone in the meantime?

Sorry for necromancing this thread if everyone was done with it.

As Nik mentioned earlier, the prospect of detailed feedback is one of the factors that motivated me to join this forum as well. I am still a green member, but I am trying to work by the general etiquette of reading and commenting to at least four other members' works before posting any fruit of your own pen (although at present I have written anything I felt comfortable with subjecting members to).

By the way, Nik: congratulations on Happy Endings. I was not aware it had done so well.
    Last edited by Welcheren; 06-25-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    And as I pass through the first gate, I know that the better part of my soul will remain behind - forever.

This site is a spaceship adrift, her crew mysteriously absent. She did not answer our hails. When we boarded her, we found only a number of surly forumites locked in a storage room they thought was a story room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhar View Post
    I'd just like to add that this contest was one of the first things to motivate me to write and continued to do so. Initially the prize money was an impetus but then I did it mostly for the detailed feedback I'd get afterwards. I have been trying to contribute at least one story a year for 4-6 years now. Very sad to see it end like this without any announcements even.
    ALL RIGHT! No offense to anybody I don't know but it's nice to hear from someone who's been around.

The problem is that I don't believe this site is moderator anymore. I'm afraid that what will happen is one day it just won't be here because the rent didn't get paid. It's sad, but like somebody above wrote, "things come and go".

But yeah, Nik– the $300 was an incentive for me too! I kind of hate to admit it, but that kept me writing. And then once I submitted something [assuming I ever did] I would be waiting and watching the votes… a couple of times it was a good reason to get out of bed! Now I just sleep all the time and it's all Logos' fault, so nah nah nah!

Actually, any of us could've been groomed for a moderator – I wasn't willing to do the necessary service work required to keep this thing going. Now my blogs and my pictures of my family and my emails – they'll all be gone. There is one guy I've got to know well and the only contact I have with him is through this forum. Oh well. Things come and go.
    Last edited by Captain Pike; 08-06-2016 at 08:58 PM. Reason: I like to proofread PUBLISHED stuff :-)

Ничего нет лучше для исправления, как прежнее с раскаянием вспомнить.

Blog Entries
    If you believe that,Captain Pike you would do well to get a external contact from your LitNet buddy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123