Thread: The better classical epic poet: Homer or Vergil?

The better classical epic poet: Homer or Vergil?

Homer and Vergil are the two great epic poets of the classical era (I would also throw in Ovid). The Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid are three of the world's great epics, for their capacious containing of whole civilizations and themes and images and for all their genre-defining traits of the epic poem. Without these three, we probably wouldn't have many of our best literary works.

However, I would like to know who is the better poet not only of the epic but better overall? Fans of Homer would give Homer the credit of writing better stories and more energetic scale, whereas fans of Vergil will point to Vergil's linguistic abilities and his strong perfection and the unique mixture of clarity and poetic beauty that is Vergillean. As for criticisms of both, Homer is perhaps faulted for his imperfections and laziness of language compared to Vergil, whereas Virgil seems more half-hearted and unenthusiastic.

Whose poetic style and method do you prefer (though both were originally written in that classic form of unrhymed dactylic hexameter)? Whose spirit appeals to you more? Whose vision feels better for you? And whom do you feel is the all-around better and more influential poet?

Blog Entries
    Homer is better than Virgil, although I prefer Ovid to both.
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Homer (assuming the figure we think of as Homer actually existed) certainly beats Virgil, though the latter is a great artist in his own right of course.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Maybe the best classical poet is Virgil, the best epic is Homer, and we have an agreement

Virgil had more versatility as a poet, I mean, the Eclogues, Georgics, and an epic that can be mentioned in the same sentence as Homer. But Homer is 'il sommo poeta' (sorry Dante).
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I never read Virgil and I only know Homer from translations and adapted versions. But I think he had more influence on other writers. Inded I canīt imagine our literary tradition whithout Homer.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row