Thread: Reading of poetry

Thumbs up Reading of poetry

Do you like voice reading of poems? How do you prefer a poem to be read vocally, expecially if we talk about classical verses?
    respecting in toto the verse? following the phrase logic? a mix between them? or otherway what is your idea?

I started memorising Rime of the Ancient Mariner through reading. When I eventually hear Lawrence Olivier's reading and saw An illustrated version I was a little disappointed. Not because of the quality of his reading or the drawings, but because my impression from reading differed from theirs, like when you read a novel then watch the film version. So I prefer reading poems on my own, then much later hearing other people's interpretations of them because to me, the beauty and power of poetry is in its ability to paint a vivid image in you mind from non-visual methods, which is a pretty amazing thing for the mind to be able to do.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like hearing poetry performed, and indeed like performing it myself. It can often give you a whole different angle on the piece than simply cold words on a page.

That said, I've also heard plenty of awful recitations... sometimes from the poet themselves.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche