Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Genesis to Deuteronomy, a weekly study

Registered User JacobBenAvraham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF "YOM KIPPUR?" (stop, think, turn, return)

A MESSAGE FOR YOM KIPPUR:*
    Scripture portions to read and meditate on;*

TORAH:* Lev 16:1-34 ; Lev 18:1-30 ; Num 29:7-11
    PROPHETS:* Isa 57:14-58:14 ; Jonah ; Micah 7:18-20 ; Joel 2:12-14
    BRIT HaDASHAH:* Rom 3:21-26 ; Heb 10:1-14

* * *“Stop, Think, and Turn” are three good words to use for this year’s “Yom Kippur”.* It is a day for “afflicting one’s soul”.* A time to “stop” and search one’s self and ask the question;
    * * *“Where Am I in my relation to God”
    * * *Adam was asked the same question when he and Eve were in the garden of Eden, hiding after they had sinned. God asked him;
    * * *“Adam, where are you?”
    * * *Was it that He didn’t know where he was?* Of course, He did, He knows ALL THINGS, so, perhaps the question is a little deeper than meets the eye.* We could add to the question asking;
    * * *“Where are you in your relationship with me?”*
    * * *We all enter this world as sinners, born with the sin nature. Now here are some interesting ways to remember the three classes of “disobedience” “SIN” = missing the mark, disconnected, doing your own “thing” and not God’s “thing”.* “INIQUITY” = perversion, twisting something the wrong way, cutting off the flow, taking God’s Word and making it what you want it to mean, and not what God means it to mean.* “TRANSGRESSION” = open opposition, rebellion, “I don’t care what the Torah says, I’m doing it anyway, just because I want to!”
    * * * There comes a time when each and every person will be accountable for his or her sin nature.* In the Old Testament times, the animal sacrificial system was instituted to “cover” sin.* The word “cover” is “Kafar” from this we get, “Kippur” so the words, “Yom Kippur” mean, “Day of Covering”.* We also have “Yom HaKipurim” of “day of Coverings” This was because during this time when the Cohen HaGadol went into the “Holy of Holies”, he had to sprinkle the blood of a bull, a ram, 7 lambs, and a goat on the “Kaporet” (the covering of the Ark of the Covenant).*
    * * *Yet these “coverings” did not really “atone” sin forever, it was something temporary, only for a year until the next “Yom Kippur”.* Would there be anything better?* YES, our heavenly father looked into the future since the time of creation, and planned something special.* HE, HIMSELF would come to earth in human form and HE would be the atoning sacrifice that would “forgive” and “atone for sin completely, forever”
    * * *When we read Hebrews 10:4-12, we learn that the “blood of bulls and goats cannot take away sin” but that through the body of Mashiach Yeshua, we are made “Kadosh” (Holy) once, and for all time! (vs 10) That is why YHVH “took away the first to establish the second” (vs 9) The old covenant sacrificial system was done away with, in order to establish the New Covenant blood sacrifice of Yeshua HaMashiach, ONCE and only ONCE, good for ALL TIME.* No wonder the “New” is better than the “Old”
    * * *All the animal sacrifices in the Old Covenant pointed to Yeshua’s sacrifice (that would come, if we are looking from the past towards the future).* People were still saved by faith even before Yeshua’s time.* They illustrated their faith by presenting the animal sacrifices which pointed to HIM!* We must remember that the animals did not nor did ever save them, it was always their FAITH which saved them.*
    * * *During the Yom Kippur ceremony in ancient times, two goats were used.* One was selected for the sacrifice, the other, titled AZAZEL, was led off into the wilderness and, according to tradition, pushed off a cliff. “Azazel” is made up of two words; “az” = goat, and “azel” = go away, so, we can say that the word is the “goat which goes away”.* The high priest used to tie a crimson cloth on one of the horns of the goat, and a similar cloth was tied on the door of the Holy Temple in Yerushalayim, the day after Yom Kippur, the cloth changed color to “white” this symbolized that YHVH had accepted the sacrifice, and that the sins of Israel were covered for another year
    * * *When Yeshua paid the price for our sins, all changed.* The cloth no longer turned white, it remained crimson color, indicating that YHVH no longer accepted the sacrifice of the goat.* Why not? Because YESHUA had made the ultimate sacrifice, and that NOW, all of our sins are completely atoned for.
    While one goat was sacrificed and the other was sent away, we have two examples in scripture that illustrate the concept of “sacrifice and sent away”.* Yosef Ben Ya’akov, (Joseph, the son of Jacob) was sold by his brothers for 20 pieces of silver.* Yosef was “sent away” to Egypt, and in his place, a goat was killed by his brothers and the blood sprinkled upon Yosef’s garments.* The blood symbolized the blood of Yosef to deceive his father Jacob.
    * * *Another example is during the trial of Yeshua by Pontius Pilatus.* Yeshua was sacrificed on the Cross of Calvary, while Bar-Abbas was sent away free!* This time, Yeshua’s blood atoned not only for the sins of Bar-Abbas, but for ALL sins!
    * * *We ask, where does the word “Atonement” come from.* We know from the Hebrew text, the word is “Kaphar” which means “to cover, to purge, to make reconciliation, to cover with pitch” It is interesting that the word “pitch” is the word “Kaphar”.* We remember that Noah covered the ark with pitch, to make it waterproof.* Noah’s ark was seen as protection against the waters of judgment which destroyed the world.* The “pitch” made the ark waterproof and kept everyone inside the ark safe and dry while going through the judgment.* The ark is seen as salvation “Yeshuah” from judgment.
    * * *The blood atonement of Yeshua brought to us “salvation” from the judgment of sin.* The word “Atonement” at one time, meant: “At-One-Ment” which was first used in the English Bible in the 1500s.* The word means to be “at-one” with God, through the substitutionary death of Mashiach Yeshua on our behalf.* *
    * * *So, in conclusion, we need to “Stop and think” where are we in our relationship with God? We are all guilty of sin, sins that we commit in ignorance and knowingly.* We need to “return” to HIM through confession and repentance, with a change of mind.* We can do this 24-7, 365 days in the year, but this time of year is when we should be more conscience of our sin, let’s get back to Adonai.*
    * * If we cry out, and turn from our sins, then, HE who is on high will listen, and forgive our iniquities.
    * * * * * * “Even now, declares YHVH, turn to me with all your heart
    * * * * * * *And with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning,
    * * * * * * *And tear your heart and not your garments, and turn back
    * * * * * * *To YHVH your Elohim, for He shows favor and is full of
    * * * * * * *Compassion, patient, and of great kindness, and he shall
    * * * * * * *Relent concerning evil.* Who knows, he might turn and
    * * * * * * *Relent, and leave a blessing behind Him…”* * Joel 2:12-14

Rabbi Ben Avraham

Blog Entries

what is SUKKOT all about?

A MESSAGE FOR SUKKOT

Scripture portions to read and meditate on:

TORAH: Lev 22:6 – 23:44; Num 29:12-16; Exodus 33:12 – 34:26; 1 Chronicles 24:10
    PROPHETS: Zech 14:1-21; Ecclesiastes; Ezekiel 38:18-39:16; 1 Kings 8:2; Jeremiah 10:2-4
    BRIT HaDASHAH: Rev 22:104; 1 Thes. 5:1-11; Luke 1:1-80

This is the most joyous of all the High Holy Days. While Yom Terah and Yom Kippur remind us of repentance, and judgment, Sukkot or the Feast of Tabernacles reminds us of YHVH’s provision for His people in the desert for 40 years. All their needs were provided for, their clothing did not wear out, they had food every day, even though many complained of this “same Manna day after day”, well, it is better than starving. Adonai provided water from the ROCK, not only for the people but for their cattle, sheep, and goats as well.

It also reminds us of YHVH coming to dwell among his people in a tent, (Ohel) also called the “Mishkan” or “Tabernacle”. A “sukkah” is a temporary dwelling. Adonai described in detail the plans for the tabernacle to Moshe while he was on Sinai. The whole Tabernacle reminds us and points us to Yeshua. When it was finished, the “Shekinah” came down to dwell there in the HOLY of Holies. In the day, the presence of Adonai took form as a cloud, and at night, as a column of fire.

Today, the presence of the Holy Spirit is within each and every born-again believer. Our own bodies are the “sukkot” of the Spirit of God. The presence of Elohim is also in every congregation of believers that get together on the sabbath and on Sundays to celebrate and study his WORD, and worship, praise, and glorify the LIVING WORD.

In Biblical times, many animals were sacrificed during the seven days of celebration. The sacrifices offered during this time amounted to 189 animals. Even here, we see the symbolism of “Yeshua HaEmet” (Yeshua the Truth). The word EMET, (truth) in Hebrew gematria totals 1+40+400 = 441, then, 4+4+1 = 9, When we add the numbers 189, we get 1+8+9 = 18, then, 1+8 = 9. One part of the sacrifice was to offer, during these days, a total of 70 bulls. The 70 bulls symbolize the 70 original nations that came forth from the three sons of Noah.

Yeshua gave his life not only for His Jewish people, but also for the other nations of the world. He told his own talmidim (disciples) “I have other sheep that are not of this fold” (John 10:16) meaning that his plan was to send his followers to minister to those nations, as we remember, Rav Shaul was a missionary to those “sheep of another fold” and also, the “displaced sheep” that left Israel and went to other nations to live.

During the seven days of Sukkot, there is one extra day, “Hoshanah Raba” and we celebrate it as “Simchat Torah” (The Joy of the Torah). During this day, there was a great ceremony of waving the “Lulav” consisting of 4 species of plants. Each one has a spiritual meaning;

The ETROG which is similar to a lemon, and it symbolizes the heart of man, and our “faith” (Emunah) “repentance” (T’shuvah) “Healing” (r’fuah) and “redemption” (g’ulah)
    The LULAV (Palm fronds) the word is similar to “Lo Lev” (to him, heart) to HIM we give our HEART. The lulav symbolizes our “backbone” or “spiritual strength”
    The HADAS (myrtle branches) these are similar to “eyes” which symbolize “spiritual insight”
    The ARAVAH (willow branches) which grow near water. These symbolize the humbleness of the believer and victory over our enemies. These 4 species are beaten on the ground in the Sukkot ceremony and also waved towards the North, South, East, and West, up and down. Some synagogues do this ceremony during the week of Sukkot, and some on the last day, the 8th day.

YHVH, so far, as come and has revealed himself three times! He has “dwelt” among men these “three times”. When were these three times you might ask?

The first time He came down to dwell with His people was when the Mishkan was finished as we know. The second time was when He came down in the person of Yeshua. God-Man, and lived among his people for 30 some years, teaching the Torah, healing the sick, raising the dead, and to die for our sins. The third time He came down was on the day of Shavuot, or “Pentecost”. God came down as the Ruach HaKodesh on that day, and the Holy Spirit is HIS presence today in ALL believers. Yes, God has revealed himself many more times to different individuals, but I am speaking as a “whole people at once”

Yeshua will come a fourth time in the future, when he returns to “tabernacle” among us on this planet called earth. He will touch down on the Mt. of Olives, and reign for one thousand years, in peace and Holy Rulership, Baruch HaShem! We will be part of that rule. In the prayer book, there is a prayer that says; “In the end, He will reign alone!” Oh, how wrong that statement is. Can you imagine reigning alone? Imagine yourself assigned to rule an island in the ocean, and when you get there, there is no one there. You are there by yourself.

Yeshua will reign, and we will reign with him, and his holy angels will also be present. But now, I’d like to touch on the first physical appearance of Yeshua, and this is where a few might get offended because I am attacking Christmas. Sometimes, the truth hurts and interferes with tradition and custom.

It is believed and it can be proven by mathematics that Yeshua was born around the time of Sukkot, not in December on Christmas day. In Christendom, we hear it said;

“But no one knows when Jesus was born, that’s why, by tradition, we take the day, the 25th of December to celebrate his birth. It is the event and not the date that matters.”

Well, I can understand that…yet…Adonai HAS revealed the time of his birth, in a round-about way. It’s like this, If someone wanted to celebrate my birthday and didn’t know that I was born on February the 9th, and decided to celebrate it on, let’s say, May 1st, to remember the “event of my birth” would I be offended? I would say No, I wouldn’t be, I’d understand, however, if I sent a message revealing when I was born, and people continued to celebrate my birthday on May 1st, well, then perhaps I’d be a bit sad. They know the truth yet they still want to keep “tradition”.

Let’s take December 25th. It is the date of the Winter Solstes that the Romans celebrated. They celebrated the birth of all of their pagan gods on that date. They celebrated getting drunk and had sexual orgies. They hung “mistletoe” on the ceiling as decoration for their “sex” capades. Constantine, in his effort to “Christianize” Rome, decided to put “Yeshua’s” birthday with the other “gods”. He thought it would be easier for Rome to accept Christianity if he would mix it with a little bit of paganism. So, if not the 25th of December, then when?

We have to go back and look at John the Baptist. John was Yeshua’s cousin, and he was six months older than Yeshua, so if we know when John was born, we can figure out when Yeshua was born.

We need to understand that the Jewish calendar was divided into 12 lunar months. King David had divided the priesthood into 24 service periods. We can figure that each priest, according to his period of service, served a two-week period in the temple, either offering incense or sacrifices.

Now Zachariah was John’s father. He was a priest, and his turn of service came under the order of “Abias”
    “Abias” family would serve a two-week period in the 8th order. (1 Chronicles 24:10) Remember that the Jewish year begins in the month of Nissan, which is equivalent to our March-April calendar month. The 8th turn came between the months of June/July

After performing the service of priest for his two-week period, Zachariah went home, between July and August, Elizabeth became pregnant with John. In the 6th month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, which would have been between December and January, The Angel Gabriel announces to Miriam (Mary) that she would become pregnant by the Spirit of Elohim at that time, which would have been probably in January, so from January to February, one can count the first month of pregnancy, February to March: second month, March to April: third month, from April to May; fourth month, from May to June; fifth month; from June to July; sixth month, from July to August; seventh month, from August to September; eighth month; from September to October; ninth month!

Yeshua then would have been born sometime in October, what a better time to be born than during this last High Holy Day, the time of “Sukkot” meaning; “God comes to live among men” and walk with men and women in human form, fulfilling all the prophecies, being born in “Beit-Lechem” (The House of Bread) It is only fitting that the “Bread of Life” would be born in the “House of Bread”. So, we can say with fair certainty that we know the time of the birth of Yeshua, during the month of October, although we don’t know the exact day nor time, but we can assume that because the Feast of Sukkot symbolizes, “God coming to dwell among men” what better time would be possible for Mashiach to be born?

There are also customs and traditions related to Christmas, that for centuries, have existed. Not to get into every one of them, because that would take many pages, I’d like to consider one aspect, the “Christmas Tree!”
    Is it really good to put one up? We can say,

“Doesn’t it look beautiful, with all the decorations? With the ornaments and the gold and silver tinsel hanging? It looks so “Christmassy!” now all we need to do is to put the gifts under the tree and tell the kids that Santa C came down the chimney and… (need I say more?) well…it’s all “Mashugganah! (a Yiddish expression for “nonsense”) but we need to go to God’s Word for the answer. Where did this custom come from? Let’s look at Jeremiah 10:2 -4;

“Learn not the way of the goyim (the pagan nations) and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed by them (talking about astrology and the zodiac signs), For the customs of the people are vain; for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it moves not…”

Even though the Christmas trees look nice, even the fake ones, with all the décor and lights, etc.…it comes from paganism, and as born-again believers, we should NOT practice these customs. So, you might say, what do we say to the kids? Do we cancel Christmas? NO, tell the kids the truth, get rid of the “santa claus” garbage and explain the meaning of Sukkot, one can move the celebration back two months. Get the kids gifts and give them the gifts during the 8 days of Sukkot.

We need to remember finally that these High Holy Days are not “Jewish High Holy days” they are “GODish High Holy Days! Given to ALL believers to celebrate. It just so happened that the People of Israel received them first, and as the “Commonwealth of Israel” grew, and many more peoples or “sheep of other flocks” were grafted in, the blessing of the Torah was passed on to them. Including the High Holy days.

So, now the decision is yours, what to do with the tree, the ornaments, the whole “Christmas in December” deal. That has to be your decision. What does your heart tell you? What does scripture say? What does Jeremiah the Prophet say being directed through the Holy Spirit? “Learn not the way of the pagans!” enough said.

I am sending off this Parashah a little early, since this year, the first day of Sukkot is on Thursday, I will try and send this Wednesday evening during “Erev Sukkot” that way, you have a whole week to plan and celebrate the true “Christmas” time.

Hag Sameach Sukkot

Rabbi Ben Avraham

Blog Entries
    Parasha: B'reisheet (Genesis)

Blog Entries

B'reisheet (Genesis)

SIMCHAT TORAH V’B’REISHEET “The Joy of the Torah and Genesis” (starting from the beginning)

The Feast of Tabernacles is the last of the “High Holy Days” which ends on the 8th day, on the 22nd of Tishrei. It is a special day which is called “Simchat Torah” or “Joy of the Torah”. We rejoice because we have the WORD of God in our midst. It is His complete word, complete revelation comprised of 66 books, divided up in three parts; The Torah, “Genesis through Deuteronomy” the Prophets and Hebrew poetry, and the Brit HaDashah, “New Testament” or “Covenant”
    Some would like to challenge the word “New” or “Renewed”, since we are not governed by the Old Covenant. True, we are not under the Old Covenant, based on animal sacrifices, yet the covenant basically is the same; it is a “Blood Covenant”. The way that it is “new” is that it is based on the blood of “Yeshua” our Messiah and LORD, and NOT on the blood of animals. Scripture tells us that the blood of animals had no power to atone for sins by getting rid of them, or abolishing them, or erasing them. The blood of animals only “covered” sins for one year during the time of Yom Kippur, yet through the sacrificial death of Yeshua, our sins were “atoned for” once and for ever, for all time.
    Let’s just talk about the word “Torah” for a moment. It has been mistranslated in Bibles as the word “law” which comes from the Latin “Legis” Something legalistic. Yet the word in the original Hebrew “Torah” means “instruction”, so, everyplace in the Bible where the word “law” is found should really be translated as “instruction” (from our LORD and God YHVH). Once we get this word in right perspective, then, a lot of misunderstandings can be corrected.
    So, how many “Torahs” are there? One? Two? Three? If we investigate way back going about six-thousand years. We come to the creation of this world. Up to the time of Moshe (Moses), YHVH spoke verbally to the patriarchs, starting from Adam and Chavah (Eve). They passed on the words of Elohim to their children, and their children to their children and so-forth. One could say that this was the first “Oral Torah”. Finally, we come to Moshe and YHVH speaks to him in person. Moshe writes down everything the Adonai tells him and thus, we have the first five books of the Bible.
    The prophets follow writing down the words of God, continued by a few kings, namely David and Solomon.
    Then we come to the New Covenant letters, and books comprised by Yeshua’s talmidim (disciples) and followers. They were all inspired by the Ruach HaKodesh (The Holy Spirit) as to what to write. They wrote down Adonai’s words in Hebrew and in Greek, since the world was dominated by the Greeks. The best way to reach the nations was to write in Greek. From Greek the Bible was translated into Latin and then to all the languages of the world.
    The WORD of God is correct is every detail, there are NO contradictions in it. If there were, that would mean that YHVH is a God of error, and this is not so. Those who say that there are contradictions, do not understand the original words and their meanings, therefore, it is a good thing to have a basic knowledge of Hebrew and Greek. Why did YHVH give us HIS complete and Holy WORD?
    First, He is a perfect and Holy God, whose most holy name is Yod Hey Vav Hey (YHVH). Written with the ancient paleo-Hebrew letters, the letters symbolize “Behold the hand, behold the nail”. A perfect revelation of Messiah Yeshua on Calvary’s cross, receiving in his hands, the nails that held him fast to the crucifixion stake. There he paid for all of our sins, past, present, and future.
    Second, the Bible was written to humanity because in the fallen state caused by sin, man had to be re-directed back to YHVH, through Yeshua. In this way, mankind could have a renewed covenant relationship with his creator. Yeshua described it as the “New Birth” in John 3:3.
    Once man has a renewed relationship with YHVH, he is directed towards a holy, sanctified living through following the commandments which were written down by Moshe. Yeshua also fulfilled the commandments by giving a correct interpretation of them and how they applied to our lives. Even though there are 613 commandments (mitzvoth) in all. Not all apply to us today, since we are not under the Levitical priesthood, nor are we under the animal sacrificial system. Still, many DO apply to us, and that is the reason for Bible/Torah study.
    Today, we have “commentaries” on God’s word, or, “Midrashim”. About 400 years after Yeshua, the rabbis and sages compiled the “Talmud” which are commentaries over the Torah, written by the rabbis of old. These are books, articles, writings, that rabbis have written, giving THEIR interpretation of what the Torah means, but, it is only “commentary”. Is it good to read and study the Talmud? I would say it is good to read ALL things related to God’s Word, BUT, we should always compare commentary to the written WORD of God. If it lines up with what the Bible teaches, it is a good thing, if not, as I said, it is just, “commentary” the opinion of someone who is not God.
    As one rabbi said, “Reading commentary is like eating a bony fish. Throw away the bones and digest the meat!”
    The following are “Torah Parashot” or “Portions from the Torah” which are read and studied every week for one year. A “Torah portion” is a “Parashah” and it consists of readings from the five books that Moshe penned down, readings from the Prophets, and readings from the Brit HaDashah, “The New Covenant”. The readings start on the Day of Simchat Torah. On this day, we start from the “beginning” which is a perfect place to start any reading……SO…...let’s start from….

PARASHAH: “B’reisheet” (In the Beginning)

GENESIS 1:1-6:8…………………ISAIAH 42:5-43:10……………MATTHEW 1:1-2:23

During Simchat Torah, we begin in Genesis…But…Some have the tradition of reading last few verses of Deuteronomy, (34:10-12) “And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moshe……..and in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moshe shewed in the sight of all Israel.”
    Interesting that the very last word in Deuteronomy is “Israel”. We read verses 10 through 12 and in the same breath, continue with Genesis 1:1. Meaning that the Torah is a continuous book, like a circle.
    The very first line in Genesis, the very first line in the Torah has so much meaning; “B’reisheet bara Elohim ET haShamayim v’et haAretz” (In the beginning, Elohim created the heavens and the earth). One thing to point out, in many English Bibles, the word “heaven” is singular and should be “heavens” (plural), because in Hebrew, “HaShamayim” is “heavens”. Also, in the words; “B’reisheet Bara Elohim” (In the beginning, Elohim created) we find the mixed letters that spell out “Israel” also. So, the Torah begins with “Israel” and ends with “Israel”. If we look at the Hebrew letters that spell out “B’reisheet Bara Elohim” we find “Israel” how? Well let’s see;……. Beit, Resh, Aleph, Shin, Yod, tav……beit, resh, aleph…..aleph, Lamed, hey, yod, mem sofit. Then we pick out the letters that form “Israel” Yod, Shin, Resh, Aleph, Lamed. What can this tell us? That from the “Beginning” Elohim had Israel in mind! This is just one way one could look at this.
    If we count the Hebrew words, we have “7” words in the first verse. “7” is the perfect number of YHVH. If we take the seven words, and take the middle word “ET” and take this word “ET” and draw a vertical line from it, we can make a “Menorah” three lines from the middle line connected to “ET” to the other words in this first verse. The word “ET” has not literal translation, yet it points to a specific object which is very important. “ET” in the ancient Hebrew letters are the “Alef and the Tav” or in Greek, the “Alpha and Omega”
    Or…. the “God of the Covenant”. So, every time we see “ET” in the original Hebrew, we are reminded of “YHVH, the God of the Covenant”
    Why does the Bible start with the letter “Beit” or “B”? why not with “Alef” or “A”. Isn’t the “Alef” the symbol for “God”? There is a story about the letters “Alef” and “Beit” who are having an argument as to who would be first. They both came to Elohim and presented their case. Elohim-YHVH said, “Alef”, you are very important as you represent who I AM. You will be the third letter in the Bible, because “3” symbolizes “Elohim” because we are united as Father, Son, and Spirit, three entities in one “Echad” being.
    “As for you, letter “Beit” you will be first because you symbolize the “house” which I will make for mankind, for the plants, trees, and flowers, and for all the beasts which I will create. This house will be called “earth”. This perfect planet will be a “B’rakhah” a “Blessing” to my creation, therefore, the Torah must start with “B”
    Also, the letter “Beit” is closed on three sides, yet open on one, the left side. This means that before the “beginning” there was nothing, only Elohim, and revelation starts with “B” going towards the “left” as the Hebrew is written.”
    So therefore, the Alef and the Beit left, both satisfied with the verdict from Elohim-YHVH. We also see in the first line, the creation of the three basic elements of the universe; “space” (the heavens) “time” (in the beginning) and “matter” (the earth). We have an infinite God that comes out of infinity past and speaks and creates a finite earth. Creates matter. The first law of Thermodynamics states that; “All matter has been created and that there is no more matter being created” what we do see is that “matter changes states” (from liquid to solid, = water to ice) or from liquid to gas = water vapor.
    We can also see today the effects of the “2nd law of thermodynamics, that shows that everything in the material world is on a downward spiral, from order to disorder, from composition to decomposition, from perfection to imperfection, why? Because of sin! The wages of sin is death, and therefore, not only in the world of the living, but also, in the material world, everything is “dying”
    Elohim looked upon the earth he was forming, which was then, a lot of water and earth-elements, and then spoke in verse 3 saying; “Haya haOr” (let there be light) “V’yahi or” (and there was light). And Elohim saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness” (vs 4) There are 4 levels of Torah understanding which are “Peshat” (literal), “Derash” (moral and spiritual), “Remez” (Symbolic), and “Sod” (hidden), (this is when we use gematria, or numbers with math to come to different revelations, mind you this is NOT numerology!)
    There was the physical light, the light we can see, and also, the WORD of God which is looked upon as “light” YESHUA also is referred to the “Light of the World” light is also “sinless perfection” and the “darkness” is also the physical darkness, which is needed, for us to rest at night, so that the flowers can close up and sleep. I can also refer to the “spiritual darkness” which is “evil” or “sin”. SO… there is a separation between what is holy and what is not holy, between sin and perfection, between evil and good. Between our “daylight” and our “night time” (taking it literally).
    Now, if I were going to study every verse, this first parashah would be perhaps ten pages long, so, we are going to jump a bit. Elohim created all that this earth contains in 6 literal days, of 24-hour periods. Now, there are some SSs (silly scientists) that say, “the six days are considered a period of four-billion years!” really? Really? Well, if we look at verse 12 it says that Elohim created the plants, trees, grass, etc, then in verse 14 it says that Elohim created the lights in the heavens, which include the sun, moon, and the stars. Well, if each “day” consisted of, let’s say 600,000,000 years, then, how would the plants and trees, and life itself survive without sunlight for this amount of time?
    Many times, we just have to take God’s word literally. “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness…and Elohim created the man and the woman in His own image” (vs 26-27). What does this mean, in HIS own image? What is the IMAGE of ELOHIM? One could say that the image of Elohim is complete holiness and perfection! Sinlessness! That was how the first couple were made. The earth was “created” without any previous existing matter, yet man and woman were “created” using “already existing matter” namely,” the dust of the earth (adamah).
    The name “Elohim” shows the “plural unity (Echad)” of God, and just as Elohim consists of the Father, the Son, and the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit) so man and woman were also joined “Echad” with Elohim in mind, soul, and spirit. What is man? What is woman? But a soul and spirit inhabiting a flesh and bone body. Bodies that will one day (because of sin) deteriorate and cease to function and return to the earth.
    Elohim loved his creation of man and woman. He placed them in a perfect paradise home, a garden full of trees that produced fruit, nuts, flowers, clean water, animals that were friendly. The only prohibition was the Tree of the Knowledge of good and evil. But…as we know the story, HaSatan, tricked them into eating the forbidden fruit. As soon as Adam and Eve ate the fruit (and nowhere does it say that it was an apple) the Word says that they “realized that they were naked” (3:7) but weren’t they already naked? I mean, they weren’t created wearing Levis! however...remember the word “light” the words “light” and “skin” are written almost the same way in Hebrew, the only difference is the first letter, “skin” is “OR” written with the letter “ayin” which symbolizes “eye” and OR (light) is written with an “aleph”
    It is possible, and probable that Adam and Eve were created with a covering of “light” When Moses came down from Mt. Sinai after being with God for 40 days, he was “glowing” with light, the Shekinah light, and Moses was a sinner, imagine Adam and Eve who were sinless, their light covering would have been permanent had they not sinned (and would still be alive today). When they disobeyed and ate the forbidden fruit, the light covering must of vanished, THEN…they saw that they were NAKED, without the light, which served, one could say as, “a skin of light over the skin of flesh”
    The sin of eating the forbidden fruit shows the following; the LUST OF THE FLESH, THE LUST OF THE EYES, AND THE PRIDE OF LIFE. Eve was hungry, she “saw” that it looked really delicious, and, she “thought” it would make her “wise” as the serpent lied to her saying the same. Sin today is the same, it is a mix of all three things, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life
    “and YHVH Elohim made coats of skins for the man and for the woman and dressed them” (3:21) This is the very first blood sacrifice in the Bible. YHVH had to sacrifice one or two innocent animals, perhaps two lambs or goats, to “cover” Adam and Eve. This is a reminder of Yom Kippur, where the blood of animals covered the sins of Israel for one year. This would be a reminder to Adam and Eve of their sin. Their sin caused an innocent, blameless animal to lose its life.
    The Word of God does not say, but we can imagine that YHVH told Adam and Eve that they would have to sacrifice a lamb, or a goat, or another kosher animal every day, to remind them of their sin. We look towards the cross of Calvary and we see YESHUA the LAMB of God who offered himself up as a blood sacrifice for our sins, once and forever, not just to cover, but to erase.
    In chapter 4 we see the birth of Kayin and Hevel (Cain and Abel) They were born with the sin nature, and we see in both boys, the direction of the world that would follow; some would choose holiness and all that is good and others would choose the unholy and all that is evil. There came a time when they both had to offer sacrifices (that is why I said that Adam and Eve must have taught them to do the same). Hebel chose to obey and Kayin chose to disobey. Kayin offered a sacrifice, but it was not a blood sacrifice, rather it was a “grain offering” nothing wrong with a grain offering, but a blood sacrifice was needed. Therefore, it was rejected.
    Hebel however, offered the correct sacrifice, a blood sacrifice, and it was accepted. This caused anger and jealously in Kayin and we know the story, Kayin rose up and murdered his brother Hebel. Yet YHVH Elohim still offers him an opportunity to repent and confess his sin, but Kayin does not. Then YHVH Elohim says;
    “The voice of your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground” (4:10) the Hebrew word is “damei” or “bloods” it is written in the plural. But why is this. This is eluded to the idea (which is written in the Talmud) that “he who saves the life of one person is as if he has saved a whole nation, and he who takes a life of another, is as if he has murdered a whole nation.” It is as if the souls of all the “would have been” descendants of Hebel were crying out for vengeance because they would not be permitted to be born. “the voice of thy brother’s bloods cries out…” the many “bloods” cry out in “one voice” so it seems.
    Hebel is slain, his blood is sacrificed, and Kayin goes away, runs away to the land of wandering (Nod) and becomes a vagabond, just wandering, living off the fruit of trees and whatever grows of its self, since now, his farming days are over, YHVH curses the land he farmed as punishment.
    We can see here again a shadow of Yom Kippur. In Yom Kippur, two goats were selected, one was sacrificed and the other was “sent away” Here, Innocent and righteous Hebel is sacrificed, and Kayin “goes away” yet this “going away” is in the negative light, he “goes away” from the presence of Adonai, while Hebel goes “into the presence of Adonai”
    There is a saying that goes like this; “you can mix good apples with bad apples, and the good will never correct the bad, rather the bad-rotten apples will corrupt the good ones. Well, that is the way the “world turned” way back then, as the years pass, the descendants of Kayin mixed with the descendants of Seth, (who was born after the death of Hebel.
    “and it came to be that when men began to increase on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of Elohim saw the daughters of men that they were fair, and they wives for themselves of all whom they chose. And YHVH said ‘My Ruach will not strive with mankind forever in his going astray. He is flesh, and his days shall be 120. The Nephilim (in some translations, the giants) were on the earth in those days and when the sons of Elohim came in to the daughters of men, they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men of old, men of name(fame). 6:1-4
    There are two schools of thought when the issue of “B’nei Elohim” comes up. Some believe that it refers to the godly line of Seth mixing with the ungodly line of Kayin. The other school of thought which is more probable is that the “sons of God” refer to the fallen angels that were kicked out of heaven together with HaSatan. These “b’nei Elohim” somehow and someway transformed themselves into flesh and blood, and the offspring of those “demon-human” relationships were born “giants”. The word “Nephilim” means “fallen ones”. It does not mean “giants” …however…those “mighty men of old” many were “giants” we have examples; Goliath of Gath, Og, king of Bashan.
    There is archeological and paleontological evidence of a race of giants in the pre-diluvial world. Many fossil skeletons have been found some 20 some 30 feet tall. The Indians of the South-West claim that there was a race of red-haired giants who were cannibals, they could run after a herd of buffalo, catch one and bite off a leg and eat it on the run.
    These giants were destroyed during the flood, however, their DNA still survived. “His days shall be 120”
    What is it saying here? YHVH has decided to destroy and cleanse the earth by a universal flood, and Noah and his family were found to be the only righteous people around. Noah will receive instructions to build an ark, and it will take him 120 years, so, the people will have 120 years to repent, which they did not. This was a very short time being that thousands of years ago, people lived 800 or 900 years. 120 years would be like a week in our times. Noah was a “Tzadik” a “righteous person”. He went “against the flow”. Imagine a school of fish going in one direction, and you are going in the opposite direction.
    How about you? If the world is going down the tubes, headed for destruction, will you follow the world? Or will you remain with Yeshua and go HIS way? The choice is yours. The only way we can be a true “Tzadik Ben Elohim” (a righteous child of God) is through faith in Yeshua HaMashiach/ Jesus the Christ, through faith in HIM trusting in HIS one-time atonement for sin.

ISAIAH 42:5-43:10

The prophet speaks through the Spirit of YHVH saying: “I, YHVH, have called you in righteousness, and I take hold of your hand and guard you, and give you for a Brit (covenant) to a people, for a Light to the gentiles, to open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the prison, those who sit in darkness from the prison house” 42:6,7
    Some say that this is referring to the prophet himself? Really? Was Yeshayahu called to be a “covenant?” to open blind eyes? To set the prisoners free? Yet re-arrange the letters in the name “Yeshayahu” and we get Y-E-S-H-U-A-H! it was HE who the prophet was talking about. His name means “Salvation” and He came as a ‘blood-covenant” that would not simply cover for a year, but to get rid of, wipe out, the sin we inherited. He came not only to his own Jewish people, but also for the peoples of the nations outside of Israel.
    He not only opened the eyes of the physically blind, but also for those who were spiritually blind. Once we did not understand the Bible, or we could have cared less for the Bible, but since we have accepted Yeshua as Messiah and LORD, now we have the Holy Spirit to help us understand the Torah. Once we lived in spiritual darkness, in the prison of HaSatan, called the “lost world” but we have been freed to follow HIM who set us free.
    “And I shall lead the blind by a way they have not known, in paths they have not known. I lead them. I make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight” (42:16)
    The new paths are the Torah paths, David wrote; “thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path”
    By allowing God’s Word to take root in our lives, our paths are made straight, we know now how to tell the difference between the Holy and unholy, between the clean and the unclean. The WORD which is taught to us through the Ruach HaKodesh, using God’s chosen teachers is His gift to us, as born-again believers, it is our duty to stay on the right path.
    There are “blind people” who have eyes, yet do not see, they may see physically, but they do not see spiritually, God’s Word can change all that (43:8)

MATT 3:1-4:25; JOHN 1:1

We read the ancestry of Messiah Yeshua, his birth during one of the evenings of Sukkot, and his escape with his parents to Egypt when Herod sought to kill him. Later, YHVH “brought up HIS SON out of Egypt” Adonai saw his children go into Egypt through Jacob, and they also came out of Egypt through Moshe, Adonai led HIS SON down to Egypt with Miriam and Yosef, and Yosef and Miriam led him BACK to Israel.
    Now, Yeshua, HIS Son leads us ALL out of the Egypt of this world through a relationship with HIM, In John 1:1 it says; “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with YHVH, and YHVH was the WORD” In this we see that Yeshua took part in the creation of this world, as “The WORD” this is the essence of the name “Elohim” the plural G-d who is “Three” yet “One” like; 1 x 1 x 1 = 1

Hag Sameach Simchat Torah! Rabbi Ben Avraham
    Last edited by JacobBenAvraham; 10-20-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Noah, the Flood, destruction and a "new Beginning" GEN 6:9-11:32

PARASHAT;* “Noach”*

GENESIS 6:9-11:32………………….ISAIAH 54:1-55:5………………..MATT 3:1-4:25*

**** The Torah says;* “Noah was a righteous man, perfect in his generation, and Noah walked with Elohim”
    Noah was a “tzadik” a righteous man.* This is a powerful statement since in his days, the whole populated earth was corrupt, yet he and his family decided against “going with the flow” and decided to follow YHVH in His ways.*

**** We know the story, it is one of the most popular stories from the Bible.* Elohim decides to destroy the world with a flood of waters, saving only Noah and his family, and representatives of the animal kinds.* He is commanded to build an ark, a “floating barge” a rectangular box-car type of vessel.* In feet it measured 450 feet long, by 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high.* It had rooms or animal stalls, three floors, a door in the side, and ventilation all around.*

**** Using biblical measurements, it was 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high.* A cubit is about 18 inches, in would be from a man’s elbow to the tip of his middle finger (more or less).* The total was 380 cubits, length + width + height = 380.* In Hebrew letters, this sum would equal “Sheen + Pey” with the symbolism of “The all-consuming fire speaks” Elohim is about to judge and tear up the world with a watery judgment, and he speaks to Noah, who is the only one faithful to HIM.*

**** He also says to seal it within and without with “pitch” or “tar” which would make it water-proof.* It is interesting that the Hebrew word is “K’fer” very similar to “Kafar” which is “covering” this word is used during “Yom Kippur”.* During Yom Kippur, the blood of the animals “covered” the sins of the people for one year.* This “covering” on the ark would also “seal” Noah and his family inside the ark for the same amount of time, for a year.*

**** The world would perish under the water judgment, yet YHVH would make a “brit” (covenant) with Noach and his family.* They would be safe and sound, and of course dry inside the ark for a year.* The word for “ark” in Hebrew is “Teivah” it has three Hebrew letters; “Tav” “Beit” and “Hey”.* The ancient Hebrew meaning of these letters together would be “behold the house of the covenant” The ark would be their house for one year a temporary house that was under God’s “covenant”.
    **** Inside the ark, the DNA for all humankind would be safe.* Had not YHVH chosen to save Noah and his family, and instead, destroy all of humankind, today, we would probably be plants, trees, or flowers. *Also remember that in the days before the flood, it never rained from the sky, but from under the ground.* When the rains finally came, the people outside the ark probably freaked out big time!

**** We read that animal representatives of each animal kind entered the ark.* Two of each “unclean” kind came into the ark, and fourteen of the “clean” animals, such as sheep, goats, cows, bulls, buffalo, deer, moose, elk, etc.* or seven pairs of each.* Later on, we find out why? They would be used for eating purposes and for sacrifices, so, there would have to be a lot of them on the earth.* Dinosaurs? Yes, they came on board, probably the young ones that were still babies.* The word “dinosaur” is a modern word, back then the word “dragon” was used for dinos.

**** We read that when Noah finished building the ark, which took 120 years, he took enough food to last a year, and when the animals got on board they settled down.* Some might have gone into hibernation status. Then, after a period of seven days of waiting, 7:16 says “and YHVH shut him in” This means that “God himself shut the outside door”.* The period of grace was over, death and judgment would begin.*

**** Every human being on this earth is under a period of grace when we can come into the presence of Adonai and enter into the “ark of salvation” which is Yeshua.* After our physical death, our fate is sealed, judgment will fall.* Eternal condemnation in the lake of fire for the lost, and for believers, our “works” will be judged where we will either receive or lose rewards, yet we ourselves will inherit eternal life with the King of Kings, and LORD of Lords.

**** The WORD says that it rained for 40 days and nights. “40” is the number of “judgment and testing” it says that the waters rose above the highest mountains 22 feet.* This proves that it was a “universal flood” not a local flood.* During this time, there was a lot of seismic activity, shifting of the earths continents, creating new mountain chains and ridges.* We have no idea how the pre-diluvian earth looked like, but after the flood, Noach and his family stepped out into a strange and different world.*

**** The flood waters were upon the earth for a year, and the Word says that in the seventh month and on the seventeenth day of that month (Tishrei) the ark rested on the mountains of Ararat.* Isn’t it surprising that the ark came to rest on dry land during the third day of Sukkot!* Noah’s “Sukkah” received “shalom” and on the first day of the first month “Nissan” “New Year’s Day” the waters had completely dried up on the earth.

**** This is very significant because the whole earth is starting anew, a new year for a renewed earth. So, Noah and his family leave the ark and start life anew.* About 4000 years later, a Turkish countryman and his son, and later the Tzar’s army soldiers found the ark halfway sticking out of an ice glacier on Mt. Ararat.* They took measurements and explored it, so, Yes, it was found.

**** Noah and his family left the ark, and the first thing Noah did was to build an altar and sacrifice clean animals.* Here again is the burnt offering to remind us of our sin nature. After the flood was when God gave permission to eat the flesh of clean animals, before, mankind was vegetarian. *Yes, Noah was a Tzadik, a righteous man yet he still had his sin nature.* He planted a vineyard and got drunk from the wine he made.*

**** Ham, one of the sons of Noah saw his father naked inside his tent.* We do not know what happened, if he just saw him naked, or…perhaps…committed some kind of perverse sexual thing on Noah, we only know that the Torah says that when Noah awakened from his drunkenness he discovered what his son had “done unto him”(9:24) implying that something was “done” Ham did not just “see” his father naked.* Result is that Noah was angry and cursed “Canaan” Ham’s son.

**** Now, we don’t understand why the grandson had to suffer for what his father had done.* Doesn’t seem fair, well, life ISN’T fair, never has been.* We’re living in a lost and dying world, a world that is going down the tubes.* One thing is that Noah had already blessed his sons, and being blessed, you cannot take the blessing from them.* Are there any Canaanites alive today? I would say not.* They ended up being a perverse, vial people.

**** Now the world becomes populated again.* People start moving around from the three sons of Noah; Shem, Ham, and Japheth.* From these three sons, we get the three main people groups of the world.* “Shem” the Semites, “Ham” the Hamites which went down toward Africa, and “Japheth” who brought about the European peoples.* One of the popular names from Japheth is “Ashkenaz” who was the father, one could say, of the Ashkenazim East European Jews later on. “Tubal” = Tobolsk (in Russia) “Meshek” = Moscow (Russia)

*** Another name is “Nimrod” who came from “Ham” and also “Mizraim” (Egypt) and “Cush” (Ethiopia, Sudan) Nimrod founded Babylon.* From here we get the division of the world languages.* At that time, the descendants of Noah spoke only one language, probably Hebrew, The people under Nimrod contracted a bad disease, namely “US-itess”* “Let US build US a city let US make US a name least WE be scattered abroad the earth” (11:4) the direct opposite of what YHVH ordered them to do, to “multiply and fill the earth again with people! The flood taught them nothing! They continued to rebel.
    * ***The Torah says that YHVH gave them new languages.* According to scholars, from one language came 70 languages then, and 70 people groups. So, they left Babel and went off into different directions to repopulate the earth, so that is how languages started.* They were complete with grammar, syntax, many even with written words.

**** Today, there are lot more than 70 languages, but no matter what language a person speaks, YHVH knows his name in ALL languages, and ALL who call upon the NAME of the LORD will be saved!* When a person prays to receive Yeshua as LORD and Savior, no matter what the language is, HE will HEAR and come into that person’s life! Remember, HE is the author of ALL languages of the world.*

ISAIAH 54:1-55:5*

**** Am Yisrael is compared to the “sands of the sea” and the “dust of the earth” and the “Stars of heaven” The prophet Yeshayahu in these verses are comforting Israel that they will be blessed, with descendants, even though at the time they might be going through some rough times, always, when people go away from the LORD, and follow other gods, then judgment will follow, and suffering will follow, however, YHVH will never reject his people…and…He will increase their numbers.

**** In spite of HaSatan trying to wipe the Jewish people from existence through the holocaust, pogroms, etc.* The people will continue to exist.* Why is Israel compared to the “sands of the sea?” because, who can count each and every grain of sand?* Why is Israel compared to the “dust of the earth?” One walks on the dust, and Israel has been trampled on, like dust, but dust is enduring.* Leave a car outside in the desert, in the dust, for perhaps one-hundred years.* At the end, the car will no longer exist, it will have been wasted away, yet the dust will continue to exist, forever.

**** Why “the stars of heaven?” because Israel will “shine” like the stars, because, the Mashiach came from Israel, and He shines, as everlasting light.* Israel will be a light to the nations, and will teach the nations of ONE GOD “Echad”*

MATTHEW 3:1-4:25*

**** Yochanan the Baptizer is in the Jordan, baptizing the people, getting them ready to meet their Mashiach, his cousin, his LORD.* We need to get our hearts and minds right, a need to change is necessary, to leave the lost world behind and embrace the things of the LORD.*

**** Yeshua is baptized, goes into the wilderness, fasts for 40 days, getting ready for his ministry and teaching, healing, and finally, dying for our sins.* 40 is the number for testing and judgment.* “Man shall not live by bread alone, but from every word that proceeds from the mouth of Adonai”.* Yes, physical food is necessary, and it feeds the physical body, yet the WORD of God feeds our spirit man/woman.* There needs to be a balance of the two.* Good, healthy, kosher food which Adonai gave us, and HIS WORD, which is the living manna.*

**** Yeshua settles in Capernaum, or in Hebrew “K’far Naum” the “Covering of Naum”.* I have been there, to Capernaum, and the synagogue that Yeshua visited is still there, although it was torn down a rebuilt a few times, the floor is the same.* It was an honor to physically “walk” where Yeshua walked and taught Torah.* The remains of Peter’s house is also there.*

**** Let’s walk the way Yeshua walked, let’s keep on preparing our hearts, and minds, and our lives. The Kingdom of Heaven IS here, it IS at hand.* The “Kingdom of God” is HIS activity here on earth.*

Shabbat Shalom…………. Rabbi Ben Avraham*

Blog Entries

Abraham leaves his father's House GEN 12:1-17:27

PARASHAH: “Lech Lecha” (go forth yourself)

GENESIS 12:1-17:27……………………...ISAIAH 40:27-41:16……………MATTHEW 5:1-48

“Now YHVH said unto Abram: Get thee out of thy country and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will show thee” these are the opening words that YHVH speaks unto Abram. Now we might ask, “why did YHVH choose Abram to begin his chosen people?” No one really knows the “why?” only that he DID choose him. Perhaps he had a curious and searching mind, searching for the real and true God.
    We must remember that there was no such person as a “Jew” back then. Abram was a Mesopotamian, from the Chaldean city of “Ur” similar to the Hebrew “Ir” which means “city”. He was raised as an idol worshipper, and his family’s business, according to the rabbis, was making and selling idols.
    We only know that YHVH chose Abram, and he accepted and obeyed the voice of YHVH. Here is a commandment and the blessings of obeying the commandment. “Leave your father’s house and go to land which I will show you.” We see that G-d wanted Abram to distance himself from idol worshipping and everything connected with the such. Once he obeyed the voice of HaShem, THEN… the blessings would come;
    “I will make of thee a great nation” , “I will bless thee and make thy name great (shem gadol) and be thou a blessing” , “I will bless them that bless thee and curse them that curse thee” , “In thee shall all the families of the world be blessed” we later see that under “being a great nation” we could add the promise; “Your seed will be like the dust of the earth” and also “like the stars of heaven” What do these promises involve?
    Once that Abram obey the voice of YHVH, and he arrived in the land of C’anaan, then came the testings.
    We see that Adonai wanted to test his faith, like he tests us all in many different ways. Yes, we all want blessings, but at times, blessings come with a price.
    “Am gadol” a great nation, or a great people. It started with Yitzchak, the first and only son of Abram and Sarah. From him we know the story; Yitzchak > Ya’akov > 12 tribes > multitudes! As a sign, YHVH changed the name of Abram to Abraham. If we look at the paleo Hebrew symbolism in the name “Abram” we see “Alef” “beit” “resh” “mem”. 4 letters, “4” symbolized the 4 corners of the earth. The descendants of Abraham are in all 4 corners of the earth. But we can see these letters meaning or symbolizing “the father who is the head of a multitude”. Also, we can read this as; God blesses the first house with a multitude”.
    Later, YHVH changes his name by adding the letter “hey” (h). Now it is “abraHam”. What is the significance of the “H”? Well, one way we can look at it is that the “hey” (h) is the only letter in the Hebrew Alef-bet that is pronounced with one “breathing out air”. When you pronounce “h” we send out a puff of air from our mouth. We can also say “wind” in Hebrew; “Ruach” it also means “spirit”. SO…we can say that “YHVH sent out the “spirit of life” into the womb of Sarah through the seed of Abraham. Also, the ancient meaning of the letter “hey” is “Behold!” so, we can say “Behold, a multitude is coming from Abraham and Sarah!” starting with Yitzchak.
    Yet we cannot forget about Ishmael, who was the son of Abraham and Hagar, the Egyptian. The promise extended to him too, although this was not part of God’s “perfect” will. He “permitted” the union between Abraham and Hagar, yet with consequences; the Arab nations who are the enemies of Israel. “Ishmael” means “God listens (to man)” “Ish+shema+El. (reading right to left) HOWEVER if we read from left to right we get “Man listens to God” and every man that listens to God, in obedience, whether Arab or any other ethnic identity, that man will be blessed also.
    Adonai stated also that “in thee, all of the families of the world would be blessed”. The greatest blessing is in Yeshua HaMashiach. From the seed of Abraham, came the nation of Israel, and we know that Mary and Joseph, the guardians of Yeshua were of the seed of Abraham, and more closely, the seed of David. We need to look not so much at physical blessings, nor biological/genealogical blessings. We might be of Jewish ancestry, but that does not secure for us salvation, we need to look at Yeshua our Messiah, who is our “Yeshuateinu” (our salvation)
    Now we look at Lot, Abraham’s nephew, if only Abraham had left him behind! But he didn’t. Didn’t YHVH state specifically, “Leave your father’s house and your KINDRED!” isn’t Lot kin folk? Lot started arguing over land for cattle. So, Abraham says for him to select one area and he would go in the other direction. So, Lot chose “Sodom!” the land around it looked very fertile. That is the way the land of sin appears to people. It looks attractive. So, Lot pitched his tent TOWARDS Sodom…then…he actually enters and LIVES in Sodom. And so, it is with sin. We might get attracted to it, get closer to it, and finally, indulge in it! So, be careful!
    There were three promises made to Abraham. His seed would be like the dust of the earth. His seed would be like the stars of heaven, his seed would be like the sands of the sea. Can you count the stars? Can you count the grains of sand on the beach? Can you count dust? Here is something to think about. We walk on dust, we trample it under foot. Israel has been trampled underfoot and has been looked down upon by many nations, yet, the dust still lasts, it will always be. Leave a car out in the desert for 50 years, and the dust will wear it away into rusted metal, yet the “dust” will always be, and so will Israel.
    Circumcision! This is an important area, but some make it TOO important. YHVH instructed Abraham to be circumcised and that every male should also be circumcised. This was and is a mark of the covenant. But what about today? Is it still important? Yes, it is, but in the physical aspect of the same. For male health and cleanliness, it is good for every baby boy be circumcised. YHVH is more concerned in our heart condition. Moshe stated that the “foreskin of our hearts should be circumcised”. Spiritually speaking, the “foreskin” of our hearts is the carnal ways that we all have, being that we are a fallen race and have the inbred original sin.
    “So circumcise your heart and stiffen your neck no longer” (Deut 10:16)

ISAIAH 40:27-41:16

The prophet is encouraging Israel saying that YHVH will support them, will protect them. Israel has been through a lot, they are weary of being persecuted, well, they went away from the LORD, and went after false gods, yet, when the repent, YHVH will be there.
    They are weary, weak, tired. Yes, when we do it in our own strength, yet when we go in the strength of YHVH, HE is our strength. We are not talking about physical strength, but spiritual strength. The physical is and always be physical. We can be strong physically by eat right, exercise, etc.…but we can be spiritually strong through prayer, reading God’s word, and just trusting in HIM for our needs.
    “Thou art my servant, I have chosen thee and not cast thee away, fear not, for I am with thee, be not dismayed for I am thy God, I strengthen thee, help thee, uphold thee… (41:10)
    What better promise from God do we have? He has chosen us as HIS people, through Yeshua, we become an active part of the commonwealth of Israel, and, as our LORD, and Master, He will provide.

MATT 5:1-48

There is a lot of meat in this chapter, besides the Beatitudes, which are “blessed are the…” poor in spirit, those who mourn, the meek (or humble) etc.… these we can understand, Yeshua is explaining this quite clearly. But there is another part which needs explanation. 5:17-18
    “Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets. I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. For verily I say unto thee, till heaven and earth pass, not one yod or tittle shall in no wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled”
    This has been a misunderstood verse in many if not all Bible churches today. What is “Law?” in the Latin we have the word “legis” which when translated into English, we get “law”. The problem is when we go into the original Hebrew the word in “Torah” which means “instruction, teaching". When translated correctly into Latin, it would have been; “disciplinam” , “educatio” “instructio” “mandatum” Any of these words would have been better than “legis”
    In the ancient Hebrew, when worded “destroy” and “fulfill” meant that “destroying” is “erroneous interpretation” and “fulfilling” meant “correctly interpreting”. Yeshua did indeed “fulfill” the Torah, the biggest and most important fulfillment was dying for our sins. He fulfilled the Old Testament sacrificial system of animal blood, using his own blood.
    The Torah consists of commandments, 613 to be exact. If we say, “we no longer have to live by those old-fashioned laws, the “law” is over, finished, ended, then…why don’t we go out to rob a house, to take your neighbor’s wife, to murder someone you don’t like? Those commandments are part of the “law”, aren’t they? So, if it is over with, well, why not? Because Yeshua himself said so! That he didn’t come to “end “or “get rid of, or “abrogate” as some translations have.
    Of course, many of the 613 commandments are not for today, since there is no more animal sacrifice nor Levitical priesthood, but many are STILL for today. That is the reason for Bible study, which ones are or not.
    As our rabbi (now in heaven) once said; “Let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater” Now, someone is going to write a comment saying; “But doesn’t the Word say if we break one commandment it is like breaking them all?” we are guilty then of breaking the entire “law”
    The answer is that if one is trusting in obedience to the commandments as our method of gaining eternal life and acceptance by God, then, YES, we are guilty, since YHVH demands PERFECT holiness, Yet, our salvation does NOT depend on our obedience to the commandments, but in accepting Yeshua’s sacrifice, and trusting HIM as LORD and Savior. Our obedience to the commandments comes AS A RESULT OF our renewed relationship with YHVH through Yeshua
    Are the heavens passed away yet? NO! is the earth still here? YES, is the WORD of God still here in our midst? YES, is the LIVING WORD in our hearts? YES! Have a blessed Sabbath.

Blog Entries

The word "ONE" either "Echad" or "Yachid"

ECHAD or YACHID, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE...? ECHAD is the word for ONE, yet it is the UNITY OF ONE, and YACHID, is the word for ONE, but it is the "uniqueness of ONE" how would we apply this?

SHEMA ISRAEL, ADONAI (YHVH) ELOHEINU , ADONAI ECHAD (Deut 6)

YHVH is used as the most sacred name of God from the word "HAVAYAH" meaning "to exist" yet YHVH exists in three entities, YHVH is Spirit, yet He came to earth as YESHUA (the Son) to pay the price for our sin, to teach the Torah, to heal the sick, raise the dead, and to die for our sins. This is a basic belief in Judeo-Christianity, in Messianic Judaism,

YHVH as Spirit created the Heavens and the earth, YESHUA came to die for our sins, and later, returned as the HOLY SPIRIT (Ruach HaKodesh) In Christianity, the word is TRINITY, yet this word does not exist in the Bible, yet it is inferred in the word ECHAD. we could also say "Tri-Unity"

YACHID on the other hand is ONE in UNIQUENESS, like ONE unique thing, that is special, no other thing like that thing. There might be similarities, but that "Thing" is unique.

YESHUA is YACHID as well as ECHAD. He is God's UNIQUE (only) SON, who paid our sin debt completely, there is no one else like him. Yes, we are all "B'nei Elohim" (sons of God) through Yeshua, we are all "Echad" united in fellowship, ONE (echad) BODY of believers, all united in HIM, yet Yeshua will always be ECHAD, and also YACHID.

Blog Entries

PANIM EL PANIM (the faces of Elohim) what are they? GEN 32:30

“The Faces of God” (Panim el Panim) GEN 32:30*

(a last-minute thought on Parashah VaYishlach)
    **** Jacob finds himself alone, facing, as he thinks, eminent danger from being slaughtered by his brother Esau, He puts his family in hiding, he sends gifts of cattle to Esau to maybe “soften him up” he might think.* Now comes a wrestling match.* Jacob is at his wits ends, it is only he and Elohim.* Elohim comes to visit him in form of the “Angel of YHVH” the Torah says that he “wrestled with a man all night” and Jacob did not relent, he did not give up the wrestling match until the Angel touched his thigh, thus wounding him.* Then comes the interesting part, the Angel gives him a blessing, he changes his name from “Jacob” to “Israel”
    **** From “trickster, deceiver” to “straight to G-d” When we see the name “Yisrael” it can be divided into two parts; “Yasher- El” (straight to G-d) the name “Yisrael” also contains the acronyms of the patriarchs and matriarchs who played a part in forming the nation of Israel; “YI” Yitzchak “S” Sarah “R” Rachel and Riv’kah* “AE”* Abraham* “L” Leah.* The gematria for the word “Yisrael” (Yod, Sheen, resh, aleph, lamed) adds up to 541, when we add together 5+4+1 = 10.* “10” symbolizes the Torah, it was to the nation of Israel that the 10 Commandments were given as a “wedding contract” or “contract of nationhood”
    **** Israel now says something interesting; “Vayikra Ya’akov shem haMakom Peniel Ki ra’iti Elohim Panim Et Panim” (and Jacob called the name of that place “Peniel” (face of God) for I have seen Elohim “faces to faces”.
    What is interesting is that here, the word “face” is used in the singular and in the plural.* Peni-el, (face of God) in the ancient paleo-Hebrew letters, the word is symbolized as “mouth, life, action, God, Leader” in gematria, the word “Peniel” adds up to 171, (the unique, one (echad) G-d is perfect) when we add 1+7+1 = 9.* “9” is the number of “emet” (truth) and “Yeshua” also has that title.*
    **** But “Panim El Panim” (faces to faces) is somewhat strange, or is it? How many faces does God have? Or does he even have a face, since he is “spirit”.* In one way, he “has a face” in physical form as the “Angel of YHVH, Jacob saw him, Abraham also saw him. But now “faces?” what could that mean?* Here is one idea;*
    **** I am sure you can remember as a child, making “funny faces” in the mirror.* You might have seen in elementary school, school work papers that have different “faces” and you have to guess what they are.* A “sad” face, a “happy” face, an “angry” face, etc.* do the “faces” describe the person? Or are “faces” an indication of the person’s internal being?* I am sure you can remember your mother or father’s face when you disobeyed or goofed up something, you knew you “were in trouble” just by looking at their face.* Just as our parents had their “faces” which illustrated what was going on inside their soul and being, so our Heavenly Father has different attributes, personalities, feelings, attitudes, etc. that “could” be compared with “Panim” (faces).*
    **** He has the “Panim Rachamim” (faces of Mercy) or “mercies” (endless mercy!”) He has the “face of forgiveness” the “face of longsuffering” the “face of patience” yet the faces of “punishment” “chastisement” “judgement and condemnation” for unrepentant sinners, the faces of “joy” and “wrath” of “happiness and sadness” “approval and disappointment” the face of a “God who listens and responds” the list could go on.*
    **** We can just imagine the “face” of God when he sees us doing certain things, both “kosher” and “un-kosher”
    If we can imagine his faces, then, we can imagine how he is feeling inside when we are in obedience or disobedience.* Another way of seeing “Panim El Panim” is “Faces God Faces” because “El” is one of G-d’s names. (the shortest one)
    **** Can we say that during that night of ordeal, when Jacob wrestled with the “Malach Elohim” he saw the different “faces” of G-d? perhaps he saw in the “Panim Elohim” the future of his descendants, his 12 sons! It is something to think about!**
    PARASHA:* “VaYeshev”* (and he settled)*
    GENESIS 37:1-1-40:23..................AMOS 2:6-3:8................MATT 14:1-15:39, JOHN 10:22-23
    **** In this study, the focus in on Yosef, who is going to be in the lime-light of God.* Things seem to be going from bad to worse for this young teen-ager. But it wasn't all his fault we could say.* His father Jacob held him high up on a pedestal, “Papa's favorite”.* Always when there is family favoritism among sons and daughters, there is bound to be trouble, especially from the other siblings who are the “less preferred”
    **** Papa Jacob makes him a “coat of many colors” This coat was a symbol of leadership, this is like getting a kid a three-piece suit made of fine silk, and then sending out to the fields where his brothers are wearing overalls and straw hats.* This is going to get jealousy aroused.* These brothers are boiling mad, and to make matters worse, Yosef is given dreams by YHVH and he doesn't keep them to himself, he shares them.* He shares them not to be haughty, but just to let his family know what is happening, or rather, what is “going to happen” in the future.* But I don't think that at that time, Yosef understood the meaning of the dreams.*
    **** To make a long story short, he gets out to the fields, the brothers strip him of his coat, rip it, dip it in goat's blood, plan to kill him, Judah talks them out of it, and instead, throw him in an empty well, wait until a group of Ishmaelite traders come by, they sell him to the buyers for 20 pieces of silver , and that is that, they are rid of brother Yosef, “daddy's boy” the dreamer, yet unknowingly, they are playing right into the perfect plan of YHVH, they are “investing” in their own future welfare.*
    **** But let's go back to the events.* How do these events symbolize, compare with Messiah Yeshua?* We do not see any blemish on Yosef, as if he is “perfect and righteous” as Yeshua was/is “Tzadik kadosh” (Righteous and Holy” Yosef is the “victim” of his own people (his brothers).* As Yeshua was given up to the Roman governor, by a group of religious leaders.*
    *** The brothers striped Yosef of his coat, the coat was dipped in goat's blood.* Yeshua was stripped of his clothing, and was beaten, his flesh “ripped” by a Roman whip, until the blood poured out.* The “goat's blood” reminds us of “Yom Kippur” where goats were sacrificed and one was “set free” the blood of the goat reminds us of our sins “covered by the blood” (back then) but now, our sins are “erased” by the blood of “God's chosen LAMB” the “Lamb of God” which taketh away the sins of the world.*
    **** Yosef was thrown into a pit, an empty cistern, void of water.* Scripture doesn't say, but I imagine that his brothers tied him up with a rope and lowered him into the pit by the rope.* A “water well” symbolizes “Life” but when it is empty, it can symbolize “death”.* Just try to climb out a deep pit with dirt sides without anything, you can't, might as well be dead.* Yosef being lower into the pit can symbolize Yeshua's death, and his descent into “Sheol” yet when the Midianites came by, the brothers pulled him “out” of the pit, it could symbolize Yeshua's “resurrection unto life”.* Before the pit, Yosef was part of his immediate family, after the incident of the pit, he is on his way to a “new life”, with trials, testings, troubles, suffering, and finally, rewards! Doesn't that sound like our life today?
    **** Yosef was sold for “20 pieces of silver” by “Y'hudah Ben Ya'akov” (Judah son of Jacob)
    **** Yeshua was sold for “30” pieces of silver by “Y'hudah Ish Kariot” (Judah, a man from the region of Kariot)
    Y'hudah Ben Ya'akov was part of Jacob's family, whose name changed to Israel.* Y'hudah Ish Kariot was part of Yeshua's family of talmidim (disciples) by “name only” not spiritually.* The name “Israel” comes from “Yasher-El” (straight to God) “Yeshua” relationship is “straight to God”.* The difference between 30 pieces of silver and 20 pieces of silver is “10” the number of “Torah”.* ALL is recorded and written down in the Torah, and Yeshua is the “Living Torah”*
    AMOS 2:6-3:8**
    The prophet preaches “judgment on Israel” (because they sell the righteous for silver), and for many more evil deeds, they have turned away from God and are behaving like the heathen, that know not the LORD.* Yosef was righteous, and he sold for 20 pieces of silver, Yeshua was / is righteous, and was sold for 30 pieces of silver.* Israel has traded a “Torah” (30-20=10) walk for an “unrighteous” walk and lifestyle, trouble is ahead, judgment is coming, and it came, God used Babylon, Greece, Antiochus, Rome, as instruments of judgment, yet Israel prevailed, through YHVH's grace, goodness, righteousness, and through a “few gallant men” who fought the fight of freedom.*
    MATT 14:1-15:39 and JOHN 10:22-23
    “Yeshua blesses the crowd” we see that Yeshua went to a place alone, perhaps to mourn the death of his cousin, Yochanan the Baptist, yet the crowd found him, he had compassion and healed the sick, he fed them when he multiplied the 5 loaves and 2 fish.* Interesting enough, when we add 5 and 2 we get “7” the perfect number, the number of Holiness, we have the “Bread (loaves) of Life” and he who makes “fishers of men” (fish). Also, the symbol of the “fish” was used in early messianic believers.**
    In John, we see that Yeshua attends the Feast of Hanukkah, the “dedication” and takes this opportunity to tell the Jews, “I AM the Messiah....yet you do not believe” the choice to believe, is always OURS.** Shabbat Shalom
    Rabbi Ben Avraham

Blog Entries

A brief look at "hanukkah" what's it all about?

********************** A* BRIEF STUDY ON HANUKKAH, WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT?*

**** “And it was at Jerusalem the Feast of the Dedication (Hanukkah), and it was winter, and Yeshua (Jesus) walked in the temple in Solomon's porch” (John 10:22,23) the chapter goes on to say that the Jews gathered around him, asking him to tell them plainly if he was the Messiah.*
    **** Hanukkah was an important festival, important enough for our Messiah to be at the temple and answer questions.* The meaning of the word “Hanukkah” means “dedication”.* In order to understand this better, we need to go back and read 2 Chronicles 7:8-10.* King Solomon finished building the first temple, and he celebrated with the people in having a big sacrifice, sacrificing thousands of bulls and sheep, he invited the people and they shared in the festivity.* He celebrated for 8 days, during the time of Sukkot, (Feast of Tabernacles) on the 8th day, “Hoshanah Raba” he blessed the people and sent them home.* A lot happened after that time, the priests and much of the people took their eyes off the LORD, and went into idolatry.
    **** Years later, the Prophet Malachi prophesied that YHVH would punish the people, and the end result would be that the temple would be desecrated, the “seed” of Israel would be “contaminated”.* You can read this in Malachi 1:6; 2:1,2,8,9.* The Prophet Daniel was more precise.* He had visions of what would happen in the future.*
    **** The visions of Daniel in chapter 8 had to do with “two” end time periods.* One, the end time before the first coming of Messiah Yeshua, and the second, the end time before the second coming of Messiah, which is still in the future.* In Chapter 8:5 the prophet sees a “he goat” (Greece) and a “ram” (Persia).* This is when Alexander the Great went forth to conquer many nations, he traveled very fast (touched not the ground).* This happened around 330 B.C. He went from West (Greece) towards the East (nations East of Greece) these nations included Persia, Egypt, Syria, and Israel (Judea).*
    **** The prophet mentions the “horn that was broken” (Alexander's death) and from that, 4 other horns came out (four generals took over).* (Daniel 8:8).* “Ptolemy” took control of Egypt, that is why we see the dynasty of “Ptolemy pharaohs” Queen Cleopatra was a “Ptolemy”.* Seleucid took control over Syria.* From Seleucid, came the “little horn that waxed great”.* This was the rise of Antiochus (Daniel 8:9).* First there was Antiochus III, and afterward, Antiochus IV (Epiphanes).* It was Antiochus Epiphanes who wreaked Havoc in Judea, was a tyrant, a murderer who was satanically controlled.* He proclaimed himself “Zeus incarnate” thus the title “Epiphanes” An epiphany is a carnal likeness of a god.* But what happened to Judea before the rise of Antiochus?
    **** Alexander had introduced “Hellenism” to the conquered world.* Judea could either accept the new Greek ways or reject them.* Most Israelites rejected them, they stayed Torah observant and worshiped YHVH.* Some accepted the new Greek ways, new Greek style clothing, music, philosophy, gymnastics, drama, language, etc...
    Under Alexander, and even under the first Antiochus (III) Judeans had a choice, either accept or reject, it didn't really matter, but when Antiochus III died and his son Antiochus IV came to power, all changed.*
    **** Everyone had to convert to Hellenism, accept Antiochus as supreme ruler and “god” manifested in human form, or die.* No longer could they study Torah, the scrolls were destroyed, circumcision of males was a capital offense, when Israelite women married, a Greek soldier would be the first to physically “lay” with the new wife.
    So life was “hell” for all of Israel that did not convert or accept Hellenism, and accept Antiochus as “Zeus incarnate”.*
    **** On the 25th of the Hebrew month of Kislev, 167 B.C, Antiochus invades the temple in Jerusalem and desecrates it.* He sets up a statue of Zeus and to celebrate, he sacrifices pigs on the sacred altar in the temple, he then takes all the temple furniture made of gold and silver, including the Menorah, and takes them to Syria.* The temple is now bare, and desecrated, and now dedicated to Zeus and pagan sacrifices.* (Daniel 8:11-12).
    **** The next thing that Antiochus did was to replace the Judean “Onias” the high priest and put his own brother “Jason” as priest instead of Onias.* Jason started promoting “Zeus worship, and pig sacrifices” throughout Judea.* He went to the city of Modin, where the priest Mattathias lived with his five sons; John, Jonathan, Judah, Simon, and Eleazar.* This is where the resistance started.
    **** Jason had sent an officer to offer Mattathias riches and honor, if only he would set the example and offer pig sacrifices to Zeus.* The officer was not prepared for the reaction of Mattathias.* With a loud voice he responded;
    **** “Though all the nations that are under the king's dominion obey him and fall away everyone from the religion of their fathers, and give consent to his commandments, yet will I and my sons and my brethren walk in the covenant of our fathers.* God forbid that we should forsake the Torah and the ordinances.* We will not harken to the king's words to go from our religion, either on the right hand or the left!” (1st Book of Maccabees)
    ***** After hearing these words, another priest standing nearby offered to sacrifice, in exchange for gold and silver.* When the priest tried to go forward, Mattathias took a sword and slew him there, and also slew the officer in charge.* Now, Mattathias and his sons were wanted criminals in the eyes of Antiochus. Mattathias and his sons had to flee the city and they went into the hills of Judea to hide.*
    **** Other faithful Judeans heard what Mattathias had done, and went out to be with him and his sons, thus, forming a small army.* Yet what did they have, but perhaps wooden spears, a few knives, pitchforks, and not many swords.* Judeans from all classes in society went to join him and his sons.* There out in the wilderness, they prepared for battle.* They would strike out against Antiochus and his trained Greek-Syrian forces.* They would fight with guerrilla-warfare tactics.* They knew the terrain, the Greeks didn't.
    **** This reminds us of the revolutionary war in the United States, when the 13 colonies were under British rule. George Washington (America's Mattathias and Judah the Maccabee) took untrained colonists and fought against the well trained British troops, they fought long and hard, but finally gained independence from Great Britain.
    **** Antiochus now knew that Mattathias and his small army were serious.* Mattathias was old and he died during this war.* He left his eldest son, Judah, to take command.* His sur-name “Maccabee” comes from the Hebrew/Aramaic word “Makabah” which means “Hammer” so his whole name in Hebrew “Y'hudah Makavi” is telling us “My God YAH is my hammer”.* With the strength and blessings of God, Y'hudah and his army went forth to fight against Antiochus and his armies.* Antiochus sent out four generals; Apollonius, Georgias, Seron, and Nicanor.* The strength of these armies was probably 100,000 or more.* Yet Judah fought them all, (guerrilla style strike and run, strike and hide, ambush, etc...) As these armies were vanquished, Judah and his armies captured their swords, spears, shields, etc... and now they were well equipped.*
    **** Needless to say, Judah pushed forward and finally drove the Greek-Syrians out of Judea.* He and his army re-took Jerusalem.* The temple was in a shamble, the altar desecrated with swine blood and guts, the Temple emptied of its treasures.* Judah and his men got to work, they tore down the pagan altar and built an altar to YHVH.* He went and “brought in new vessels, the candlestick (Menorah) the table of Shewbread, and the altar of incense, which were made of gold” (Josephus, the complete works, pg. 393) they went to work and made the temple like new again, re-lit the menorah, and made a “feast of dedication” for 8 days, just like in the days of Solomon, when he dedicated the first temple for eight days.* Judah offered sacrifices on the newly built brazen altar just like Solomon did.* This also happened on the same day, 25th of Kislev, 164 B.C. three years after it had been desecrated.
    **** Today, we still celebrate this time of year.* Many people have a special 9 branch menorah called a “Hanukkah”. This is used especially for this time.* The middle branch is called the “Shamash” (the helper) from this middle branch which holds and candle or oil with a wick, the other candles are lit each night for 8 nights.* As Messianic Jewish believers, we see the symbolism in the middle branch as “Yeshua” who is the “Light of the World” and we are the “little lights” we get our light from Messiah Yeshua.* He even said, “Ye are the light of the world.*
    **** We can see 9 aspects of the faith in each of the 9 branches of the special Hanukkah menorah; “Teshuvah” (repentance) “Tzedakah” (charity and giving) “Mitzvot” (good works) “Emunah” (faith) “Yeshua” (Salvation)
    “Mishpochah” (family) “Ahavah” (love) “HaTorah” (God's Word) “Israel” (the Holy Land) are all inter-related
    and we can also add “Chen” (faith) because by “faith” we are saved, not of works least any man should boast.*
    **** Many also “spin the dreidel” which is a four-sided top, with the letters N, G, H, S, (but in Hebrew) which symbolize, “Nez, Gadol, Haya, Sham,” (A great miracle happened there).* What was the miracle? That a small army of about 10,000 men fought against a superior army of 100,000 or more, yet not through the might of swords and spears, but through the might and power of YHVH, they won and achieved victory.
    **** These 4 letters when added up in gematria, = 358, the word “Mashiach” (Messiah) also adds up to the sum of 358.* Mashiach gave the victory.* He also gives us the victory in our lives against sin.* We can think of “Dedication” at this time of year to re-dedicate our lives to Messiah Yeshua, to serve him, and keep on serving him, and to be “lights” in dark places.* Our work and service in Messiah Yeshua ends on earth when we are called home, and even in heaven, we will continue to serve, and see His LIGHT forever.

Blog Entries

SIMCHAT TORAH (The Joy of having the BIBLE in our midst, what's it all about?)

SIMCHAT TORAH ( The Joy of the BIBLE) So, what's it all about?

This is the time of year that we take to remember the Word of Adonai to all mankind. He gave us his Torah, his teaching, guidance, instruction which is so important in a sin-filled world. He gave it to fallen mankind to give him direction to “Yeshuah” (Salvation) a reconciliation between fallen man and a Holy and Supreme, Perfect God, through “Teshuvah” a “turning around and change of mind and direction” and turn to follow our One and Only Supreme and Holy God.
    Torah also teaches us that G-d himself came to earth as man and yet as God, to be our mediator. Yeshua, our mediator is the only way of reconciliation between sinful man and Adonai who is Holy. The animal sacrifices illustrated the necessity of blood, yet the only blood that got rid of the curse of sin was the blood of Yeshua. This is the most important teaching of the Torah, the way back to Adonai through Yeshua our Messiah and Redeemer.
    The word “Torah” comes from “Yarah” which means “to point to” or “to direct towards” like an arrow that is headed towards the bulls-eye of a target. So, we ask, where did it all start? We might say that it all began with Moshe who wrote down all the words of Adonai while in the desert, starting with the Ten Commandments (Which were written by G-d himself) and compiled all together, 613 mitzvoth, which were written down in 5 scrolls.
    However, the Word of G-d, His Torah was even before that time. It was the time of the Oral Torah. I don’t mean the Talmud, it was way before the Talmud. The Oral Torah was the instruction that Elohim gave to Adam verbally, who passed that instruction down to Kayin and Chevel and later on to Seth, who passed it down to his descendants, and finally reached Noach, and Noach passed down the teaching to his sons, Shem, Ham, and Yafeth, who passed down the teachings to Terah, and from the there to Abraham, and then to his sons, to the sons of Israel, and from there to Moshe, who finally wrote down the instructions by the verbal commandments of Adonai.
    Adam sacrificed to Adonai, and so did Chevel, (Abel) a burnt offering. How did they learn about that if not through the spoken words of G-d? How did Noach know about the clean and unclean animals to put aboard the ark, unless God told him about those kinds of animals since the clean and unclean commandments of Kashrut didn’t appear until Leviticus 11, which was way after the time of Noach.
    So now we have the written Torah in our midst, and we ought to be thankful that we have it with us, and in some homes, probably quite a few copies of the Bible, which is the Greek word “Biblios” which means “books”
    So, what does the Torah consist of? How many books? Manuscripts? Well that depends on what one considers the complete “Torah”
    In today’s Judaism, we see quite a few denominations, just like in Christianity, we see quite a few denominations. We have Ultra-Orthodox, Orthodox, Chasidim, Reformed, Conservative, and Messianic (those who believe and accept Yeshua as Messiah and Redeemer. As we are all part of the great International Community of Israel, or the Commonwealth of Israel, consisting of those born and raised in Israel as well as those born outside of Israel. Even those who have lost their contact with the faith through pogroms, persecution, accepting other faiths, many have returned to the faith of Abraham and have recognized their Jewish heritage, even if it came from great ancestors.
    We must be tolerant one with the other, listening to one anther’s views open-mindedly, not in a condemning manner. We can look at the schools of Shammai and Hillel and see their examples. A student once had a question concerning an aspect of the Torah, and went to the school of Shammai and ask the sage the question.
    “It means this-and-that” and he continued. He later went to the school of Hillel and asked the same question about the Torah. Hillel asked the student; “What did Shammai say?” the student said, “He said, this-and-that”. “Well” stated Hillel, “ I’ll give you our view” and he told the student their view. Afterward, he said, “now consider the view of Shammai and our view and come to your own conclusion, what does the Spirit of God tell you?”
    So, just like the schools of Shammai and Hillel had their views on the Torah, so must we also listen to those who perhaps have different views, whether the person is conservative, orthodox, Messianic, or another denomination. After all, we are ALL people of the Torah, and if terrorists come and wish to murder us all, they will not come up to ask us what we believe, whether or not we believe that Yeshua is Messiah or whether we keep Kosher or not, all they will look for will be kippahs on our heads and Tzitziot hanging from our undershirts or belts, we will all die together as “Am Y’hudim v’Israelim”
    Some believe that the Torah consists of only the 5 books of Moshe, Genesis to Deuteronomy. Others accept also the Nevi’im and Ketuvim (the Prophets and the Writings) up to Malachi, while Messianic believers also embrace and accept the gospels of the Brit HaDASHAH, up to Revelation.
    One thing that is certain, ALL is Torah, The Instruction of a ONE and Holy God (Echad) through his chosen writers, through a period of two thousand years.
    What does Torah teach us? It teaches us that G-d is Perfect, Holy (Tamim v’Kadosh) and that He made man in His holy image, yet man was tempted by HaSatan and thus broke fellowship with his creator. Adonai reached down and sent his prophets his words to bring fallen mankind back into a right relationship with Him again, using His spoken and written word, He directed us to a ‘Yeshuah” (salvation) experience and thus, bringing us back into a right relationship with Him again.
    The Torah is a continuous book of reading and studying. It is ALL related, just as a circle has no beginning nor end, so the Torah is continuous, and every part is connected to the next part. Here are some examples.
    The custom of Simchat Torah is to begin reading from Genesis 1:1; “B’reisheet Bara Elohim…” (In the beginning, Elohim….) yet many begin by reading the last verse in Deuteronomy 34:12. And in the same breath continue with Genesis 1:1. How do these verses relate?
    The last word in Deuteronomy is “Israel” the first word in Genesis is “B’reisheet” (In the beginning) If we take this a step into the Derashic level of understanding, one could say, “even in the beginning, God had Israel in his mind and heart!” If we take it even a step further, the last letter in Deuteronomy is “L” (Lamed) and the first letter in the Torah is “B” (beit) if we put “lamed and beit” together we get the word “Lev” (heart) thus getting the understanding that “In the beginning, Israel was in the heart of Elohim”
    Let’s take a step further, the last word in Malachi is “Cherem” (curse or destruction) and the first word in Genesis is “B’reisheet” (in the beginning) how do these words relate? In the beginning, Elohim created a perfect world which was “destroyed” by the “curse” bringing sin into the world. The last letter in Malachi is a “Mem” sofit. The letter “Mem” (M) symbolizes “chaos, water, multitudes”, while the letter “Beit” (B) symbolizes “house” or “household”. What is the relation? In the beginning, chaos was introduced into the multitudes (people) through the curse of the original sin, and the world was destroyed by water (The Genesis Flood).
    Let’s go a step further, for those who are of the Messianic belief. The last book in the Bible is Revelation. The last word in the Book of Revelation is “Amen” and the first word in the Bible is “B’reisheet” “Amen” means “So be it” or “Let it be so”. We can see that “In the beginning, Elohim created the Heavens and the earth, “Let it be so” (amen) The last letter in “amen” is the letter “Nun” (N) which symbolizes “life” and of course, the “Beit” symbolizes “House” so one could say, “In the beginning, God’s household was full of life! Life, happiness, joy, bliss, in Gan Eden, (In the Garden of Eden) up until the time of sin…then…all changed. And we all know the rest. We are all reaping the whirlwind.
    The Torah gives us the way of righteous living before a Holy God and before mankind. Following and living the mitzvoth of Adonai. They direct us toward the right path to “Yeshuah” (salvation) by faith. In the following weeks, I will present a series of Torah portions with Midrashim so that all who would like to read and follow the weekly Torah cycle, can do so.

Hag Sameach Simchat Torah

Rabbi Ben Avraham

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567