Thread: Genesis to Deuteronomy, a weekly study

Registered User JacobBenAvraham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Ha'azinu" (give ear!) "The final words of Moses" DEUT 32:1-52

PARASHAH:* “HaAzinu” (Give ear)
    Torah:* DEUT 32:1-52…*

Prophets: 2 SAM 22:1-51… HOSEA 14:2-10… MICAH 7:18-20… JOEL 2:15-27…*

New Covenant: *JOHN 20:26-21:25…*

*** “Give ear!” I am sure that we don’t hear that expression very often today, but in the times of Yeshua, it was like saying today; “Yo, listen up dudes!” “Will ya listen t’me already?” or “Hey, listen, I have something important to say!”*
    **** This is Moshe’s last speech, and he wants all of Israel to pay attention, He is looking into the future, and sadly, he sees the nation of Israel in apostasy, going against the commandments of YHVH, going after strange gods and heading to corruption. *He calls all of Heaven and earth as witnesses.* We can be assured that the angels of heaven heard this speech, and “His” people who were on earth also heard, they were right there.
    **** “I will proclaim the name YHVH, and the greatness of Eloheinu” Here Moshe mentions two of the many names of God, the most holy, “Yod Hey Vav Hey” When we look at these letters from the ancient Hebraic aspect we get “behold the hand, behold the nail” this takes us direct to Calvary and imagine Mashiach hanging there by the nails in his hands (wrists).* The name “Eloheinu” is the “behold the God who leads (us) and connects (us) to life through his hands” when we go to the ancient Hebraic symbolism of the letters.
    **** “The ROCK, His work is perfect!* Here is another name of God, “The ROCK” (HaTzur) from the letter “Tz” which symbolizes “Tzadik” (one who is righteous) and the word “Perfect” (Tamim) from “Tamei” which is “clean and pure” we have heard of God being called the “Rock of Ages” the “Solid Rock”
    **** Moshe is saying all of this through the Holy Spirit so that the people can understand that THEY are the problem, not God.* In all this song (Shir) he lets Israel know that they will be “doing wrong” and “have been wrong” Moshe is like a father speaking to his children to change their ways, or curses will follow.* All this time, YHVH has provided for their needs, giving them water from the ROCK, and when Israel goes into the promised land, they will “wax fat” they will receive blessings from their cattle and crops, YHVH refers to Israel as “Yeshurun” which is the ancient name for “Yerushalayim” it was the ROCK (YHVH) who begot thee! Says Moshe, referring to Elohim as their “father” so why go against Him?
    **** It also says that he will “rouse them to jealousy with a no-people and a vile nation” because they provoked YHVH with a “no-god” the “no-people” and “vile nation” could be the pagan nations outside of Israel.* At that time, all the nations outside of Israel were pagan, idolatrous nations, worshiping false gods.* Adonai has “called” those nations to worship and recognize HIM as God, in a way, He is saying; “OK, you want to go after false gods, OK, I will look for worshipers in other places, I will accept other “peoples” to become part of my “called out ones”.* Not that HE rejected Israel as his people, NEVER! He just “added” more people, (the gentile nations) to become part of his “called out family”.* We must remember that Abraham was from Mesopotamia! A pagan nation, and he responded to the “call”.*
    **** “For YHVH will judge his people” (vs 36) and Yes, he DID, and still does.* The word “judge” has two meanings, one is “taking counsel to take certain kind of action either for or against” and the other meaning is “condemn, or sentence” Israel sowed corruption and chased after false gods, and reaped the whirlwind! YET, YHVH is a God of forgiveness and love.
    **** (vs 43) “Sing aloud all ye nations of His People” (Goyim Amo!) This verse sees the nations as part of HIS PEOPLE, being grafted into the olive tree, peoples outside of Israel, who have accepted the atonement of Yeshua for their sins, become part of “Am Yisrael” and YHVH will avenge the “blood of his servants” We are all part of HIS PEOPLE, He loves us and has blessings instore for us, whether we were born in Israel or not, it doesn’t matter.* His people started with 12 tribes, and has extended to the whole world. *

2 SAM 22:1-51; HOSEA 14:2-10; MICAH 7:18-20; JOEL 2:15-27*

*** YHVH is my ROCK (Tzuri) and my fortress, and my deliverer; “Elohei Tzuri” (My God) in who I will take refuge.* My shield and horn of YESHUATI.* (2 Sam) The Spirit of God is speaking, again, using the name ROCK and ELOHEI TZURI , (the God who leads who is my righteousness) We see the name YESHUA,…my “Hightower”(hey, the name of my high school!) and my refuge.* We take refuge in HIM because he has provided us with salvation, eternal life, a “hightower” is a look-out tower in a fortress where the guards can see the enemy coming.* Through Yeshua, the enemy has been beaten.
    **** Vs 32; “Who is God save YHVH and who is a ROCK save our God?” again, the names TZUR-ELOHEINU
    Also, in Hosea 14, the prophet tells Israel “Return to YHVH your Elohim, for you have stumbled by your wickedness… for the ways of YHVH are straight and the righteous walk in them! (vs 9).* The Prophet Micah also says; “He shall turn back, and have compassion on us, He shall trample upon our wickedness.* And you shall throw all our sins into the depths of the sea” (Micah 7:19) It is not surprising that this verse is read just a week before Yom Kippur.* A Yom Kippur tradition is taking bread crumbs and going to a flowing body of water, throwing the bread crumbs into it.* This tradition is known as “tashlich” the bread crumbs symbolize our sins, and the body of flowing water, the sea!
    **** Joel says;* “And you shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I AM YHVH your Elohim, and there is no one else” (Joel 2:27)
    JOHN 20:26-21:25
    **** A very interesting reading, as Yeshua appears to his talmidim after his resurrection, and meets them by the Sea of Galilee, or Tiberias, as it is sometimes called.* Since he knew that they were fishermen, he decided to help them out again, since they caught no fish during the night.*
    **** “Throw you net over the right side of the boat” and they caught 153 fish.* Yes, then they realized, “it is Mashiach Yeshua!’* it is also interesting that the number 153 is symbolic as well.* The words, “Ani Elohim” (I am God) sums up in Hebrew gematria to “153” (Ani = 61) (Elohim = 92)*** 61+92=153
    **** Yeshua also has a talk with Kefa, “Do you love me?” then…feed my lambs, shepherd my sheep, feed my sheep” three times he asked, “do you love me?”* the answer came back, feed and shepherd the lambs and the sheep.*
    What is the difference between a lamb and a sheep? A lamb is a very young sheep, up to one-year old.* So, what is Yeshua telling us here? If we love the LORD, then, as believers and followers, we are to teach, and guide both young and old believers, believers who are at different stages in their spiritual walk.*
    **** Just ask the LORD of opportunities, there are a lot out there, believers who are willing to learn and be guided.*

Shabbat Shalom…..rabbi Ben Avraham

Blog Entries

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF "YOM KIPPUR?" (stop, think, turn, return)

A MESSAGE FOR YOM KIPPUR:*
    Scripture portions to read and meditate on;*

TORAH:* Lev 16:1-34 ; Lev 18:1-30 ; Num 29:7-11
    PROPHETS:* Isa 57:14-58:14 ; Jonah ; Micah 7:18-20 ; Joel 2:12-14
    BRIT HaDASHAH:* Rom 3:21-26 ; Heb 10:1-14

* * *“Stop, Think, and Turn” are three good words to use for this year’s “Yom Kippur”.* It is a day for “afflicting one’s soul”.* A time to “stop” and search one’s self and ask the question;
    * * *“Where Am I in my relation to God”
    * * *Adam was asked the same question when he and Eve were in the garden of Eden, hiding after they had sinned. God asked him;
    * * *“Adam, where are you?”
    * * *Was it that He didn’t know where he was?* Of course, He did, He knows ALL THINGS, so, perhaps the question is a little deeper than meets the eye.* We could add to the question asking;
    * * *“Where are you in your relationship with me?”*
    * * *We all enter this world as sinners, born with the sin nature. Now here are some interesting ways to remember the three classes of “disobedience” “SIN” = missing the mark, disconnected, doing your own “thing” and not God’s “thing”.* “INIQUITY” = perversion, twisting something the wrong way, cutting off the flow, taking God’s Word and making it what you want it to mean, and not what God means it to mean.* “TRANSGRESSION” = open opposition, rebellion, “I don’t care what the Torah says, I’m doing it anyway, just because I want to!”
    * * * There comes a time when each and every person will be accountable for his or her sin nature.* In the Old Testament times, the animal sacrificial system was instituted to “cover” sin.* The word “cover” is “Kafar” from this we get, “Kippur” so the words, “Yom Kippur” mean, “Day of Covering”.* We also have “Yom HaKipurim” of “day of Coverings” This was because during this time when the Cohen HaGadol went into the “Holy of Holies”, he had to sprinkle the blood of a bull, a ram, 7 lambs, and a goat on the “Kaporet” (the covering of the Ark of the Covenant).*
    * * *Yet these “coverings” did not really “atone” sin forever, it was something temporary, only for a year until the next “Yom Kippur”.* Would there be anything better?* YES, our heavenly father looked into the future since the time of creation, and planned something special.* HE, HIMSELF would come to earth in human form and HE would be the atoning sacrifice that would “forgive” and “atone for sin completely, forever”
    * * *When we read Hebrews 10:4-12, we learn that the “blood of bulls and goats cannot take away sin” but that through the body of Mashiach Yeshua, we are made “Kadosh” (Holy) once, and for all time! (vs 10) That is why YHVH “took away the first to establish the second” (vs 9) The old covenant sacrificial system was done away with, in order to establish the New Covenant blood sacrifice of Yeshua HaMashiach, ONCE and only ONCE, good for ALL TIME.* No wonder the “New” is better than the “Old”
    * * *All the animal sacrifices in the Old Covenant pointed to Yeshua’s sacrifice (that would come, if we are looking from the past towards the future).* People were still saved by faith even before Yeshua’s time.* They illustrated their faith by presenting the animal sacrifices which pointed to HIM!* We must remember that the animals did not nor did ever save them, it was always their FAITH which saved them.*
    * * *During the Yom Kippur ceremony in ancient times, two goats were used.* One was selected for the sacrifice, the other, titled AZAZEL, was led off into the wilderness and, according to tradition, pushed off a cliff. “Azazel” is made up of two words; “az” = goat, and “azel” = go away, so, we can say that the word is the “goat which goes away”.* The high priest used to tie a crimson cloth on one of the horns of the goat, and a similar cloth was tied on the door of the Holy Temple in Yerushalayim, the day after Yom Kippur, the cloth changed color to “white” this symbolized that YHVH had accepted the sacrifice, and that the sins of Israel were covered for another year
    * * *When Yeshua paid the price for our sins, all changed.* The cloth no longer turned white, it remained crimson color, indicating that YHVH no longer accepted the sacrifice of the goat.* Why not? Because YESHUA had made the ultimate sacrifice, and that NOW, all of our sins are completely atoned for.
    While one goat was sacrificed and the other was sent away, we have two examples in scripture that illustrate the concept of “sacrifice and sent away”.* Yosef Ben Ya’akov, (Joseph, the son of Jacob) was sold by his brothers for 20 pieces of silver.* Yosef was “sent away” to Egypt, and in his place, a goat was killed by his brothers and the blood sprinkled upon Yosef’s garments.* The blood symbolized the blood of Yosef to deceive his father Jacob.
    * * *Another example is during the trial of Yeshua by Pontius Pilatus.* Yeshua was sacrificed on the Cross of Calvary, while Bar-Abbas was sent away free!* This time, Yeshua’s blood atoned not only for the sins of Bar-Abbas, but for ALL sins!
    * * *We ask, where does the word “Atonement” come from.* We know from the Hebrew text, the word is “Kaphar” which means “to cover, to purge, to make reconciliation, to cover with pitch” It is interesting that the word “pitch” is the word “Kaphar”.* We remember that Noah covered the ark with pitch, to make it waterproof.* Noah’s ark was seen as protection against the waters of judgment which destroyed the world.* The “pitch” made the ark waterproof and kept everyone inside the ark safe and dry while going through the judgment.* The ark is seen as salvation “Yeshuah” from judgment.
    * * *The blood atonement of Yeshua brought to us “salvation” from the judgment of sin.* The word “Atonement” at one time, meant: “At-One-Ment” which was first used in the English Bible in the 1500s.* The word means to be “at-one” with God, through the substitutionary death of Mashiach Yeshua on our behalf.* *
    * * *So, in conclusion, we need to “Stop and think” where are we in our relationship with God? We are all guilty of sin, sins that we commit in ignorance and knowingly.* We need to “return” to HIM through confession and repentance, with a change of mind.* We can do this 24-7, 365 days in the year, but this time of year is when we should be more conscience of our sin, let’s get back to Adonai.*
    * * If we cry out, and turn from our sins, then, HE who is on high will listen, and forgive our iniquities.
    * * * * * * “Even now, declares YHVH, turn to me with all your heart
    * * * * * * *And with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning,
    * * * * * * *And tear your heart and not your garments, and turn back
    * * * * * * *To YHVH your Elohim, for He shows favor and is full of
    * * * * * * *Compassion, patient, and of great kindness, and he shall
    * * * * * * *Relent concerning evil.* Who knows, he might turn and
    * * * * * * *Relent, and leave a blessing behind Him…”* * Joel 2:12-14

Rabbi Ben Avraham

Blog Entries

what is SUKKOT all about?

A MESSAGE FOR SUKKOT

Scripture portions to read and meditate on:

TORAH: Lev 22:6 – 23:44; Num 29:12-16; Exodus 33:12 – 34:26; 1 Chronicles 24:10
    PROPHETS: Zech 14:1-21; Ecclesiastes; Ezekiel 38:18-39:16; 1 Kings 8:2; Jeremiah 10:2-4
    BRIT HaDASHAH: Rev 22:104; 1 Thes. 5:1-11; Luke 1:1-80

This is the most joyous of all the High Holy Days. While Yom Terah and Yom Kippur remind us of repentance, and judgment, Sukkot or the Feast of Tabernacles reminds us of YHVH’s provision for His people in the desert for 40 years. All their needs were provided for, their clothing did not wear out, they had food every day, even though many complained of this “same Manna day after day”, well, it is better than starving. Adonai provided water from the ROCK, not only for the people but for their cattle, sheep, and goats as well.

It also reminds us of YHVH coming to dwell among his people in a tent, (Ohel) also called the “Mishkan” or “Tabernacle”. A “sukkah” is a temporary dwelling. Adonai described in detail the plans for the tabernacle to Moshe while he was on Sinai. The whole Tabernacle reminds us and points us to Yeshua. When it was finished, the “Shekinah” came down to dwell there in the HOLY of Holies. In the day, the presence of Adonai took form as a cloud, and at night, as a column of fire.

Today, the presence of the Holy Spirit is within each and every born-again believer. Our own bodies are the “sukkot” of the Spirit of God. The presence of Elohim is also in every congregation of believers that get together on the sabbath and on Sundays to celebrate and study his WORD, and worship, praise, and glorify the LIVING WORD.

In Biblical times, many animals were sacrificed during the seven days of celebration. The sacrifices offered during this time amounted to 189 animals. Even here, we see the symbolism of “Yeshua HaEmet” (Yeshua the Truth). The word EMET, (truth) in Hebrew gematria totals 1+40+400 = 441, then, 4+4+1 = 9, When we add the numbers 189, we get 1+8+9 = 18, then, 1+8 = 9. One part of the sacrifice was to offer, during these days, a total of 70 bulls. The 70 bulls symbolize the 70 original nations that came forth from the three sons of Noah.

Yeshua gave his life not only for His Jewish people, but also for the other nations of the world. He told his own talmidim (disciples) “I have other sheep that are not of this fold” (John 10:16) meaning that his plan was to send his followers to minister to those nations, as we remember, Rav Shaul was a missionary to those “sheep of another fold” and also, the “displaced sheep” that left Israel and went to other nations to live.

During the seven days of Sukkot, there is one extra day, “Hoshanah Raba” and we celebrate it as “Simchat Torah” (The Joy of the Torah). During this day, there was a great ceremony of waving the “Lulav” consisting of 4 species of plants. Each one has a spiritual meaning;

The ETROG which is similar to a lemon, and it symbolizes the heart of man, and our “faith” (Emunah) “repentance” (T’shuvah) “Healing” (r’fuah) and “redemption” (g’ulah)
    The LULAV (Palm fronds) the word is similar to “Lo Lev” (to him, heart) to HIM we give our HEART. The lulav symbolizes our “backbone” or “spiritual strength”
    The HADAS (myrtle branches) these are similar to “eyes” which symbolize “spiritual insight”
    The ARAVAH (willow branches) which grow near water. These symbolize the humbleness of the believer and victory over our enemies. These 4 species are beaten on the ground in the Sukkot ceremony and also waved towards the North, South, East, and West, up and down. Some synagogues do this ceremony during the week of Sukkot, and some on the last day, the 8th day.

YHVH, so far, as come and has revealed himself three times! He has “dwelt” among men these “three times”. When were these three times you might ask?

The first time He came down to dwell with His people was when the Mishkan was finished as we know. The second time was when He came down in the person of Yeshua. God-Man, and lived among his people for 30 some years, teaching the Torah, healing the sick, raising the dead, and to die for our sins. The third time He came down was on the day of Shavuot, or “Pentecost”. God came down as the Ruach HaKodesh on that day, and the Holy Spirit is HIS presence today in ALL believers. Yes, God has revealed himself many more times to different individuals, but I am speaking as a “whole people at once”

Yeshua will come a fourth time in the future, when he returns to “tabernacle” among us on this planet called earth. He will touch down on the Mt. of Olives, and reign for one thousand years, in peace and Holy Rulership, Baruch HaShem! We will be part of that rule. In the prayer book, there is a prayer that says; “In the end, He will reign alone!” Oh, how wrong that statement is. Can you imagine reigning alone? Imagine yourself assigned to rule an island in the ocean, and when you get there, there is no one there. You are there by yourself.

Yeshua will reign, and we will reign with him, and his holy angels will also be present. But now, I’d like to touch on the first physical appearance of Yeshua, and this is where a few might get offended because I am attacking Christmas. Sometimes, the truth hurts and interferes with tradition and custom.

It is believed and it can be proven by mathematics that Yeshua was born around the time of Sukkot, not in December on Christmas day. In Christendom, we hear it said;

“But no one knows when Jesus was born, that’s why, by tradition, we take the day, the 25th of December to celebrate his birth. It is the event and not the date that matters.”

Well, I can understand that…yet…Adonai HAS revealed the time of his birth, in a round-about way. It’s like this, If someone wanted to celebrate my birthday and didn’t know that I was born on February the 9th, and decided to celebrate it on, let’s say, May 1st, to remember the “event of my birth” would I be offended? I would say No, I wouldn’t be, I’d understand, however, if I sent a message revealing when I was born, and people continued to celebrate my birthday on May 1st, well, then perhaps I’d be a bit sad. They know the truth yet they still want to keep “tradition”.

Let’s take December 25th. It is the date of the Winter Solstes that the Romans celebrated. They celebrated the birth of all of their pagan gods on that date. They celebrated getting drunk and had sexual orgies. They hung “mistletoe” on the ceiling as decoration for their “sex” capades. Constantine, in his effort to “Christianize” Rome, decided to put “Yeshua’s” birthday with the other “gods”. He thought it would be easier for Rome to accept Christianity if he would mix it with a little bit of paganism. So, if not the 25th of December, then when?

We have to go back and look at John the Baptist. John was Yeshua’s cousin, and he was six months older than Yeshua, so if we know when John was born, we can figure out when Yeshua was born.

We need to understand that the Jewish calendar was divided into 12 lunar months. King David had divided the priesthood into 24 service periods. We can figure that each priest, according to his period of service, served a two-week period in the temple, either offering incense or sacrifices.

Now Zachariah was John’s father. He was a priest, and his turn of service came under the order of “Abias”
    “Abias” family would serve a two-week period in the 8th order. (1 Chronicles 24:10) Remember that the Jewish year begins in the month of Nissan, which is equivalent to our March-April calendar month. The 8th turn came between the months of June/July

After performing the service of priest for his two-week period, Zachariah went home, between July and August, Elizabeth became pregnant with John. In the 6th month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, which would have been between December and January, The Angel Gabriel announces to Miriam (Mary) that she would become pregnant by the Spirit of Elohim at that time, which would have been probably in January, so from January to February, one can count the first month of pregnancy, February to March: second month, March to April: third month, from April to May; fourth month, from May to June; fifth month; from June to July; sixth month, from July to August; seventh month, from August to September; eighth month; from September to October; ninth month!

Yeshua then would have been born sometime in October, what a better time to be born than during this last High Holy Day, the time of “Sukkot” meaning; “God comes to live among men” and walk with men and women in human form, fulfilling all the prophecies, being born in “Beit-Lechem” (The House of Bread) It is only fitting that the “Bread of Life” would be born in the “House of Bread”. So, we can say with fair certainty that we know the time of the birth of Yeshua, during the month of October, although we don’t know the exact day nor time, but we can assume that because the Feast of Sukkot symbolizes, “God coming to dwell among men” what better time would be possible for Mashiach to be born?

There are also customs and traditions related to Christmas, that for centuries, have existed. Not to get into every one of them, because that would take many pages, I’d like to consider one aspect, the “Christmas Tree!”
    Is it really good to put one up? We can say,

“Doesn’t it look beautiful, with all the decorations? With the ornaments and the gold and silver tinsel hanging? It looks so “Christmassy!” now all we need to do is to put the gifts under the tree and tell the kids that Santa C came down the chimney and… (need I say more?) well…it’s all “Mashugganah! (a Yiddish expression for “nonsense”) but we need to go to God’s Word for the answer. Where did this custom come from? Let’s look at Jeremiah 10:2 -4;

“Learn not the way of the goyim (the pagan nations) and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed by them (talking about astrology and the zodiac signs), For the customs of the people are vain; for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it moves not…”

Even though the Christmas trees look nice, even the fake ones, with all the décor and lights, etc.…it comes from paganism, and as born-again believers, we should NOT practice these customs. So, you might say, what do we say to the kids? Do we cancel Christmas? NO, tell the kids the truth, get rid of the “santa claus” garbage and explain the meaning of Sukkot, one can move the celebration back two months. Get the kids gifts and give them the gifts during the 8 days of Sukkot.

We need to remember finally that these High Holy Days are not “Jewish High Holy days” they are “GODish High Holy Days! Given to ALL believers to celebrate. It just so happened that the People of Israel received them first, and as the “Commonwealth of Israel” grew, and many more peoples or “sheep of other flocks” were grafted in, the blessing of the Torah was passed on to them. Including the High Holy days.

So, now the decision is yours, what to do with the tree, the ornaments, the whole “Christmas in December” deal. That has to be your decision. What does your heart tell you? What does scripture say? What does Jeremiah the Prophet say being directed through the Holy Spirit? “Learn not the way of the pagans!” enough said.

I am sending off this Parashah a little early, since this year, the first day of Sukkot is on Thursday, I will try and send this Wednesday evening during “Erev Sukkot” that way, you have a whole week to plan and celebrate the true “Christmas” time.

Hag Sameach Sukkot

Rabbi Ben Avraham

Blog Entries
    Parasha: B'reisheet (Genesis)

Blog Entries

B'reisheet (Genesis)

SIMCHAT TORAH V’B’REISHEET “The Joy of the Torah and Genesis” (starting from the beginning)

The Feast of Tabernacles is the last of the “High Holy Days” which ends on the 8th day, on the 22nd of Tishrei. It is a special day which is called “Simchat Torah” or “Joy of the Torah”. We rejoice because we have the WORD of God in our midst. It is His complete word, complete revelation comprised of 66 books, divided up in three parts; The Torah, “Genesis through Deuteronomy” the Prophets and Hebrew poetry, and the Brit HaDashah, “New Testament” or “Covenant”
    Some would like to challenge the word “New” or “Renewed”, since we are not governed by the Old Covenant. True, we are not under the Old Covenant, based on animal sacrifices, yet the covenant basically is the same; it is a “Blood Covenant”. The way that it is “new” is that it is based on the blood of “Yeshua” our Messiah and LORD, and NOT on the blood of animals. Scripture tells us that the blood of animals had no power to atone for sins by getting rid of them, or abolishing them, or erasing them. The blood of animals only “covered” sins for one year during the time of Yom Kippur, yet through the sacrificial death of Yeshua, our sins were “atoned for” once and for ever, for all time.
    Let’s just talk about the word “Torah” for a moment. It has been mistranslated in Bibles as the word “law” which comes from the Latin “Legis” Something legalistic. Yet the word in the original Hebrew “Torah” means “instruction”, so, everyplace in the Bible where the word “law” is found should really be translated as “instruction” (from our LORD and God YHVH). Once we get this word in right perspective, then, a lot of misunderstandings can be corrected.
    So, how many “Torahs” are there? One? Two? Three? If we investigate way back going about six-thousand years. We come to the creation of this world. Up to the time of Moshe (Moses), YHVH spoke verbally to the patriarchs, starting from Adam and Chavah (Eve). They passed on the words of Elohim to their children, and their children to their children and so-forth. One could say that this was the first “Oral Torah”. Finally, we come to Moshe and YHVH speaks to him in person. Moshe writes down everything the Adonai tells him and thus, we have the first five books of the Bible.
    The prophets follow writing down the words of God, continued by a few kings, namely David and Solomon.
    Then we come to the New Covenant letters, and books comprised by Yeshua’s talmidim (disciples) and followers. They were all inspired by the Ruach HaKodesh (The Holy Spirit) as to what to write. They wrote down Adonai’s words in Hebrew and in Greek, since the world was dominated by the Greeks. The best way to reach the nations was to write in Greek. From Greek the Bible was translated into Latin and then to all the languages of the world.
    The WORD of God is correct is every detail, there are NO contradictions in it. If there were, that would mean that YHVH is a God of error, and this is not so. Those who say that there are contradictions, do not understand the original words and their meanings, therefore, it is a good thing to have a basic knowledge of Hebrew and Greek. Why did YHVH give us HIS complete and Holy WORD?
    First, He is a perfect and Holy God, whose most holy name is Yod Hey Vav Hey (YHVH). Written with the ancient paleo-Hebrew letters, the letters symbolize “Behold the hand, behold the nail”. A perfect revelation of Messiah Yeshua on Calvary’s cross, receiving in his hands, the nails that held him fast to the crucifixion stake. There he paid for all of our sins, past, present, and future.
    Second, the Bible was written to humanity because in the fallen state caused by sin, man had to be re-directed back to YHVH, through Yeshua. In this way, mankind could have a renewed covenant relationship with his creator. Yeshua described it as the “New Birth” in John 3:3.
    Once man has a renewed relationship with YHVH, he is directed towards a holy, sanctified living through following the commandments which were written down by Moshe. Yeshua also fulfilled the commandments by giving a correct interpretation of them and how they applied to our lives. Even though there are 613 commandments (mitzvoth) in all. Not all apply to us today, since we are not under the Levitical priesthood, nor are we under the animal sacrificial system. Still, many DO apply to us, and that is the reason for Bible/Torah study.
    Today, we have “commentaries” on God’s word, or, “Midrashim”. About 400 years after Yeshua, the rabbis and sages compiled the “Talmud” which are commentaries over the Torah, written by the rabbis of old. These are books, articles, writings, that rabbis have written, giving THEIR interpretation of what the Torah means, but, it is only “commentary”. Is it good to read and study the Talmud? I would say it is good to read ALL things related to God’s Word, BUT, we should always compare commentary to the written WORD of God. If it lines up with what the Bible teaches, it is a good thing, if not, as I said, it is just, “commentary” the opinion of someone who is not God.
    As one rabbi said, “Reading commentary is like eating a bony fish. Throw away the bones and digest the meat!”
    The following are “Torah Parashot” or “Portions from the Torah” which are read and studied every week for one year. A “Torah portion” is a “Parashah” and it consists of readings from the five books that Moshe penned down, readings from the Prophets, and readings from the Brit HaDashah, “The New Covenant”. The readings start on the Day of Simchat Torah. On this day, we start from the “beginning” which is a perfect place to start any reading……SO…...let’s start from….

PARASHAH: “B’reisheet” (In the Beginning)

GENESIS 1:1-6:8…………………ISAIAH 42:5-43:10……………MATTHEW 1:1-2:23

During Simchat Torah, we begin in Genesis…But…Some have the tradition of reading last few verses of Deuteronomy, (34:10-12) “And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moshe……..and in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moshe shewed in the sight of all Israel.”
    Interesting that the very last word in Deuteronomy is “Israel”. We read verses 10 through 12 and in the same breath, continue with Genesis 1:1. Meaning that the Torah is a continuous book, like a circle.
    The very first line in Genesis, the very first line in the Torah has so much meaning; “B’reisheet bara Elohim ET haShamayim v’et haAretz” (In the beginning, Elohim created the heavens and the earth). One thing to point out, in many English Bibles, the word “heaven” is singular and should be “heavens” (plural), because in Hebrew, “HaShamayim” is “heavens”. Also, in the words; “B’reisheet Bara Elohim” (In the beginning, Elohim created) we find the mixed letters that spell out “Israel” also. So, the Torah begins with “Israel” and ends with “Israel”. If we look at the Hebrew letters that spell out “B’reisheet Bara Elohim” we find “Israel” how? Well let’s see;……. Beit, Resh, Aleph, Shin, Yod, tav……beit, resh, aleph…..aleph, Lamed, hey, yod, mem sofit. Then we pick out the letters that form “Israel” Yod, Shin, Resh, Aleph, Lamed. What can this tell us? That from the “Beginning” Elohim had Israel in mind! This is just one way one could look at this.
    If we count the Hebrew words, we have “7” words in the first verse. “7” is the perfect number of YHVH. If we take the seven words, and take the middle word “ET” and take this word “ET” and draw a vertical line from it, we can make a “Menorah” three lines from the middle line connected to “ET” to the other words in this first verse. The word “ET” has not literal translation, yet it points to a specific object which is very important. “ET” in the ancient Hebrew letters are the “Alef and the Tav” or in Greek, the “Alpha and Omega”
    Or…. the “God of the Covenant”. So, every time we see “ET” in the original Hebrew, we are reminded of “YHVH, the God of the Covenant”
    Why does the Bible start with the letter “Beit” or “B”? why not with “Alef” or “A”. Isn’t the “Alef” the symbol for “God”? There is a story about the letters “Alef” and “Beit” who are having an argument as to who would be first. They both came to Elohim and presented their case. Elohim-YHVH said, “Alef”, you are very important as you represent who I AM. You will be the third letter in the Bible, because “3” symbolizes “Elohim” because we are united as Father, Son, and Spirit, three entities in one “Echad” being.
    “As for you, letter “Beit” you will be first because you symbolize the “house” which I will make for mankind, for the plants, trees, and flowers, and for all the beasts which I will create. This house will be called “earth”. This perfect planet will be a “B’rakhah” a “Blessing” to my creation, therefore, the Torah must start with “B”
    Also, the letter “Beit” is closed on three sides, yet open on one, the left side. This means that before the “beginning” there was nothing, only Elohim, and revelation starts with “B” going towards the “left” as the Hebrew is written.”
    So therefore, the Alef and the Beit left, both satisfied with the verdict from Elohim-YHVH. We also see in the first line, the creation of the three basic elements of the universe; “space” (the heavens) “time” (in the beginning) and “matter” (the earth). We have an infinite God that comes out of infinity past and speaks and creates a finite earth. Creates matter. The first law of Thermodynamics states that; “All matter has been created and that there is no more matter being created” what we do see is that “matter changes states” (from liquid to solid, = water to ice) or from liquid to gas = water vapor.
    We can also see today the effects of the “2nd law of thermodynamics, that shows that everything in the material world is on a downward spiral, from order to disorder, from composition to decomposition, from perfection to imperfection, why? Because of sin! The wages of sin is death, and therefore, not only in the world of the living, but also, in the material world, everything is “dying”
    Elohim looked upon the earth he was forming, which was then, a lot of water and earth-elements, and then spoke in verse 3 saying; “Haya haOr” (let there be light) “V’yahi or” (and there was light). And Elohim saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness” (vs 4) There are 4 levels of Torah understanding which are “Peshat” (literal), “Derash” (moral and spiritual), “Remez” (Symbolic), and “Sod” (hidden), (this is when we use gematria, or numbers with math to come to different revelations, mind you this is NOT numerology!)
    There was the physical light, the light we can see, and also, the WORD of God which is looked upon as “light” YESHUA also is referred to the “Light of the World” light is also “sinless perfection” and the “darkness” is also the physical darkness, which is needed, for us to rest at night, so that the flowers can close up and sleep. I can also refer to the “spiritual darkness” which is “evil” or “sin”. SO… there is a separation between what is holy and what is not holy, between sin and perfection, between evil and good. Between our “daylight” and our “night time” (taking it literally).
    Now, if I were going to study every verse, this first parashah would be perhaps ten pages long, so, we are going to jump a bit. Elohim created all that this earth contains in 6 literal days, of 24-hour periods. Now, there are some SSs (silly scientists) that say, “the six days are considered a period of four-billion years!” really? Really? Well, if we look at verse 12 it says that Elohim created the plants, trees, grass, etc, then in verse 14 it says that Elohim created the lights in the heavens, which include the sun, moon, and the stars. Well, if each “day” consisted of, let’s say 600,000,000 years, then, how would the plants and trees, and life itself survive without sunlight for this amount of time?
    Many times, we just have to take God’s word literally. “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness…and Elohim created the man and the woman in His own image” (vs 26-27). What does this mean, in HIS own image? What is the IMAGE of ELOHIM? One could say that the image of Elohim is complete holiness and perfection! Sinlessness! That was how the first couple were made. The earth was “created” without any previous existing matter, yet man and woman were “created” using “already existing matter” namely,” the dust of the earth (adamah).
    The name “Elohim” shows the “plural unity (Echad)” of God, and just as Elohim consists of the Father, the Son, and the Ruach HaKodesh (Holy Spirit) so man and woman were also joined “Echad” with Elohim in mind, soul, and spirit. What is man? What is woman? But a soul and spirit inhabiting a flesh and bone body. Bodies that will one day (because of sin) deteriorate and cease to function and return to the earth.
    Elohim loved his creation of man and woman. He placed them in a perfect paradise home, a garden full of trees that produced fruit, nuts, flowers, clean water, animals that were friendly. The only prohibition was the Tree of the Knowledge of good and evil. But…as we know the story, HaSatan, tricked them into eating the forbidden fruit. As soon as Adam and Eve ate the fruit (and nowhere does it say that it was an apple) the Word says that they “realized that they were naked” (3:7) but weren’t they already naked? I mean, they weren’t created wearing Levis! however...remember the word “light” the words “light” and “skin” are written almost the same way in Hebrew, the only difference is the first letter, “skin” is “OR” written with the letter “ayin” which symbolizes “eye” and OR (light) is written with an “aleph”
    It is possible, and probable that Adam and Eve were created with a covering of “light” When Moses came down from Mt. Sinai after being with God for 40 days, he was “glowing” with light, the Shekinah light, and Moses was a sinner, imagine Adam and Eve who were sinless, their light covering would have been permanent had they not sinned (and would still be alive today). When they disobeyed and ate the forbidden fruit, the light covering must of vanished, THEN…they saw that they were NAKED, without the light, which served, one could say as, “a skin of light over the skin of flesh”
    The sin of eating the forbidden fruit shows the following; the LUST OF THE FLESH, THE LUST OF THE EYES, AND THE PRIDE OF LIFE. Eve was hungry, she “saw” that it looked really delicious, and, she “thought” it would make her “wise” as the serpent lied to her saying the same. Sin today is the same, it is a mix of all three things, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life
    “and YHVH Elohim made coats of skins for the man and for the woman and dressed them” (3:21) This is the very first blood sacrifice in the Bible. YHVH had to sacrifice one or two innocent animals, perhaps two lambs or goats, to “cover” Adam and Eve. This is a reminder of Yom Kippur, where the blood of animals covered the sins of Israel for one year. This would be a reminder to Adam and Eve of their sin. Their sin caused an innocent, blameless animal to lose its life.
    The Word of God does not say, but we can imagine that YHVH told Adam and Eve that they would have to sacrifice a lamb, or a goat, or another kosher animal every day, to remind them of their sin. We look towards the cross of Calvary and we see YESHUA the LAMB of God who offered himself up as a blood sacrifice for our sins, once and forever, not just to cover, but to erase.
    In chapter 4 we see the birth of Kayin and Hevel (Cain and Abel) They were born with the sin nature, and we see in both boys, the direction of the world that would follow; some would choose holiness and all that is good and others would choose the unholy and all that is evil. There came a time when they both had to offer sacrifices (that is why I said that Adam and Eve must have taught them to do the same). Hebel chose to obey and Kayin chose to disobey. Kayin offered a sacrifice, but it was not a blood sacrifice, rather it was a “grain offering” nothing wrong with a grain offering, but a blood sacrifice was needed. Therefore, it was rejected.
    Hebel however, offered the correct sacrifice, a blood sacrifice, and it was accepted. This caused anger and jealously in Kayin and we know the story, Kayin rose up and murdered his brother Hebel. Yet YHVH Elohim still offers him an opportunity to repent and confess his sin, but Kayin does not. Then YHVH Elohim says;
    “The voice of your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground” (4:10) the Hebrew word is “damei” or “bloods” it is written in the plural. But why is this. This is eluded to the idea (which is written in the Talmud) that “he who saves the life of one person is as if he has saved a whole nation, and he who takes a life of another, is as if he has murdered a whole nation.” It is as if the souls of all the “would have been” descendants of Hebel were crying out for vengeance because they would not be permitted to be born. “the voice of thy brother’s bloods cries out…” the many “bloods” cry out in “one voice” so it seems.
    Hebel is slain, his blood is sacrificed, and Kayin goes away, runs away to the land of wandering (Nod) and becomes a vagabond, just wandering, living off the fruit of trees and whatever grows of its self, since now, his farming days are over, YHVH curses the land he farmed as punishment.
    We can see here again a shadow of Yom Kippur. In Yom Kippur, two goats were selected, one was sacrificed and the other was “sent away” Here, Innocent and righteous Hebel is sacrificed, and Kayin “goes away” yet this “going away” is in the negative light, he “goes away” from the presence of Adonai, while Hebel goes “into the presence of Adonai”
    There is a saying that goes like this; “you can mix good apples with bad apples, and the good will never correct the bad, rather the bad-rotten apples will corrupt the good ones. Well, that is the way the “world turned” way back then, as the years pass, the descendants of Kayin mixed with the descendants of Seth, (who was born after the death of Hebel.
    “and it came to be that when men began to increase on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of Elohim saw the daughters of men that they were fair, and they wives for themselves of all whom they chose. And YHVH said ‘My Ruach will not strive with mankind forever in his going astray. He is flesh, and his days shall be 120. The Nephilim (in some translations, the giants) were on the earth in those days and when the sons of Elohim came in to the daughters of men, they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men of old, men of name(fame). 6:1-4
    There are two schools of thought when the issue of “B’nei Elohim” comes up. Some believe that it refers to the godly line of Seth mixing with the ungodly line of Kayin. The other school of thought which is more probable is that the “sons of God” refer to the fallen angels that were kicked out of heaven together with HaSatan. These “b’nei Elohim” somehow and someway transformed themselves into flesh and blood, and the offspring of those “demon-human” relationships were born “giants”. The word “Nephilim” means “fallen ones”. It does not mean “giants” …however…those “mighty men of old” many were “giants” we have examples; Goliath of Gath, Og, king of Bashan.
    There is archeological and paleontological evidence of a race of giants in the pre-diluvial world. Many fossil skeletons have been found some 20 some 30 feet tall. The Indians of the South-West claim that there was a race of red-haired giants who were cannibals, they could run after a herd of buffalo, catch one and bite off a leg and eat it on the run.
    These giants were destroyed during the flood, however, their DNA still survived. “His days shall be 120”
    What is it saying here? YHVH has decided to destroy and cleanse the earth by a universal flood, and Noah and his family were found to be the only righteous people around. Noah will receive instructions to build an ark, and it will take him 120 years, so, the people will have 120 years to repent, which they did not. This was a very short time being that thousands of years ago, people lived 800 or 900 years. 120 years would be like a week in our times. Noah was a “Tzadik” a “righteous person”. He went “against the flow”. Imagine a school of fish going in one direction, and you are going in the opposite direction.
    How about you? If the world is going down the tubes, headed for destruction, will you follow the world? Or will you remain with Yeshua and go HIS way? The choice is yours. The only way we can be a true “Tzadik Ben Elohim” (a righteous child of God) is through faith in Yeshua HaMashiach/ Jesus the Christ, through faith in HIM trusting in HIS one-time atonement for sin.

ISAIAH 42:5-43:10

The prophet speaks through the Spirit of YHVH saying: “I, YHVH, have called you in righteousness, and I take hold of your hand and guard you, and give you for a Brit (covenant) to a people, for a Light to the gentiles, to open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the prison, those who sit in darkness from the prison house” 42:6,7
    Some say that this is referring to the prophet himself? Really? Was Yeshayahu called to be a “covenant?” to open blind eyes? To set the prisoners free? Yet re-arrange the letters in the name “Yeshayahu” and we get Y-E-S-H-U-A-H! it was HE who the prophet was talking about. His name means “Salvation” and He came as a ‘blood-covenant” that would not simply cover for a year, but to get rid of, wipe out, the sin we inherited. He came not only to his own Jewish people, but also for the peoples of the nations outside of Israel.
    He not only opened the eyes of the physically blind, but also for those who were spiritually blind. Once we did not understand the Bible, or we could have cared less for the Bible, but since we have accepted Yeshua as Messiah and LORD, now we have the Holy Spirit to help us understand the Torah. Once we lived in spiritual darkness, in the prison of HaSatan, called the “lost world” but we have been freed to follow HIM who set us free.
    “And I shall lead the blind by a way they have not known, in paths they have not known. I lead them. I make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight” (42:16)
    The new paths are the Torah paths, David wrote; “thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path”
    By allowing God’s Word to take root in our lives, our paths are made straight, we know now how to tell the difference between the Holy and unholy, between the clean and the unclean. The WORD which is taught to us through the Ruach HaKodesh, using God’s chosen teachers is His gift to us, as born-again believers, it is our duty to stay on the right path.
    There are “blind people” who have eyes, yet do not see, they may see physically, but they do not see spiritually, God’s Word can change all that (43:8)

MATT 3:1-4:25; JOHN 1:1

We read the ancestry of Messiah Yeshua, his birth during one of the evenings of Sukkot, and his escape with his parents to Egypt when Herod sought to kill him. Later, YHVH “brought up HIS SON out of Egypt” Adonai saw his children go into Egypt through Jacob, and they also came out of Egypt through Moshe, Adonai led HIS SON down to Egypt with Miriam and Yosef, and Yosef and Miriam led him BACK to Israel.
    Now, Yeshua, HIS Son leads us ALL out of the Egypt of this world through a relationship with HIM, In John 1:1 it says; “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with YHVH, and YHVH was the WORD” In this we see that Yeshua took part in the creation of this world, as “The WORD” this is the essence of the name “Elohim” the plural G-d who is “Three” yet “One” like; 1 x 1 x 1 = 1

Hag Sameach Simchat Torah! Rabbi Ben Avraham
    Last edited by JacobBenAvraham; Today at 02:06 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567