Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the best city you have ever visited

Lightbulb the best city you have ever visited

around the world is the best city for me
    so
    what would you say is the best city you have visited and why ?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Far and wide
    to visit and hide
    to laugh and cry
    to live and die
    By weather
    fair, wet or dry
    I chose the city of London.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-03-2016 at 09:33 AM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

London fantastic!!!
    and what a beautiful poem you have here
    may I ask why London?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Cacian!
    I visited London only once in my life, and it was wonderful. You breathe History and Literature in London. I remembered the names of the places und specially the tube stations because of the books I had read. The tube was an experience in itself with the stations buried deep down under the earth.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

London or Copenhagen. Do love that Copenhagen.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

Blog Entries
    I haven't found any better place to live than where I am right now in the towns along Chicago's north shore. I can walk or bicycle to a large library, a botanic garden, a huge--like really huge--lake. There are large forest preserves nearby. The services are reliable. It is not going to flood any time soon like the tourist traps we've visited in south Florida. I don't have to learn a new language as I would in Paris, Beijing or Barcelona.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm... for me it would be a toss up between Kraków and, when it isn't being ruled by a nutter, St Petersburg.

I love going on holiday to cities - I've been to Rome more times than any other place, and also have an abiding love of Vienna and Budapest.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Hmm... for me it would be a toss up between Kraków and, when it isn't being ruled by a nutter, St Petersburg.

I love going on holiday to cities - I've been to Rome more times than any other place, and also have an abiding love of Vienna and Budapest.
    I share your passion here, Lokasenna. I would love to see St. Petersburg--talk about romantic and historic. The art alone. Krakow if, as you mention with regard to Russia, I wouldn't get killed there. Vienna, too, is probably lovely, as are the Alps around there, and Bavaria as well. Budapest, well, the idea of it used to attract me, then I learned more about Eastern Europe and the people who live there.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    Edinburgh is wonderful. A major city where you can see the sea and mountains from the centre. All the things of London (palace, castle, crown jewels, museum, parliament, National Gallery, law courts, major church) but on a smaller scale and so much easier to get around and less crowded.

I also enjoyed visiting Bucharest.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

Blog Entries
    I quite like New York City and have a soft spot for Philadelphia. My least favourite destinations I've been to are Bangkok and my current home of Kuala Lumpur. Bangkok because you can't go to most areas without being accosted by prostitutes or someone trying to sell something. Kuala Lumpur because apart from the polished up city centre it's a putrid, stinking, rat infested, slummy, **** hole run by dictatorial thieves that use racial and religious persecution as a means of controlling the masses, it's also boring. Singapore is nice on the surface but the prevalence of signs advising you of the numerous infractions for even minor public indiscretions is a bit off putting. Tokyo is nice but crowded.
    "If the national mental illness of the United States is megalomania, that of Canada is paranoid schizophrenia."
    - Margaret Atwood

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    I was born in London, so that will always tug the heart strings upon returning. Too many memories of childhood.

Favorite, I'm not sure as I have traveled and lived abroad so much over the last 35 years:

Dangerous, but exciting cities: Kingston Jamaica, Lagos Nigeria, Joberg South Africa, Port Moresby Papua New Guinea.
    Romantic cities: Rome, Paris, Istanbul, Vienna, Madrid, Montego Bay
    Boring: Fort McMurry Alberta, Zurich,
    Without Substance: Miami, Tehran, Riyadh, Doha
    Great Social Life: Manila, Bangkok, Jos Nigeria, Cork City Ireland, Athens,
    Different but interesting: Yokohama, Hanoi, Durban South Africa
    Still on the bucket list: Rio, Havana ( before it gets spoiled), Caracas, St Petersburg.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aladdin, Wyoming. The kind of city that keeps its mouth shut, the kind of city that lets you get through it without any hassle, the kind of city that if you blink, you'll miss it.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

I rate cities based on their walkability. City hiking is one of my favorite pastimes.

West coast - San Francisco (heart-rocking hills)

East coast - New York (no need to pack a lunch, they have pizza-by-the-slice)

Europe - Paris (it's a movable feast, also it's Paris)

I can't afford to live in any of those cities, but I think I'd be happy being a homeless dude thereabouts. Picture El Sancho: dirty, unshaven, disheveled, malodorous, crouching in an alleyway, with his hand out, wearing a sh*t-eating grin, hitting you up for spare change - "Aye-Aye-Aye, purdy lady, I like you, gimme a dollah!"
    Uhhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Picture El Sancho: dirty, unshaven, disheveled, malodorous, crouching in an alleyway, with his hand out, wearing a sh*t-eating grin, hitting you up for spare change - "Aye-Aye-Aye, purdy lady, I like you, gimme a dollah!"
    That is how I picture you.

Sh*t-eating

TC, in over twelve years of visiting this web site, that's the nicest think anybody's ever said to me
    Uhhhh...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast