Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the best city you have ever visited

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    Oh, they have lots more if they really put their mind to it!!

I had a good time in Vilnius but perhaps that was mainly because of large number of vegetarian places I was constantly stumbling across. Also a beautiful old town and narrow streets of cobblestone.
    I liked Poznan. The old town was particularly beautiful and people seemed really friendly. The Christmas season might have been contributing factor to Polish friendliness. I do not know.
    I was visiting a friend in Gottingen and it was a nice student town and so was Tartu where I spent three wonderful years of student life.
    Stockholm was breathtakingly beautiful.
    Beijing is if you want shock and interesting.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

New York City, for the food, the theaters, museums and New Yorkers. You could be walking a llama on a leash and New Yorkers wouldn't give you a second look.

In case you think I'm kidding: I was taking a cab in Manhattan and saw a man on a streetcorner waiting for the light to turn green...with a full-grown llama on a leash. Everyone else standing on the corner ignored him and his llama with an attitude of "..so? You see everything here."

New York has some beautiful architecture and everything else, but the born-and-raised New Yorkers make the City.

I visited New Orleans this year. It seemed like a daring city with such a rich history. There was so much to see and so many little shops to visit (referring to the French Quarter). And, I loved that there was always some kind of event to go to! The city never slept!
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Manali in Himachal pradesh in India is best place i have visited yet..covered with mountains and and snow...

I have been to New York City, Rome, Paris, Brussels, Geneva, London, and countless other European cities - all too busy and cosmopolitan for me. I much prefer England`s ancient cities like Bath, Lincoln, Salisbury, Chester, and York, to give a few instances. I suppose I would name Oxford as my favourite - for its sheer unadulterated architectural beauty. I think I read somewhere that during WW2 Hitler gave orders that it was not to be bombed, as he had visited (and studied ?) there, and that he intended to use it as his capital when ?! he had invaded England...
    Interestingly, all the places I have named, (in England) were Roman towns, themselves built upon Celtic settlements, bringing to mind the famous Monty Python quote - "what have the Romans ever done for us ?" The answer being; to destroy my ancient culture and heritage....!!
    Last edited by Diggory Venn; 04-07-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Krakow, Dresden...

Blog Entries
    Winnepeg Canada. Certainly the cleanest city I ever saw but watch out for the bus drivers they will NOT move over even if you're already IN the lane. Home of Comics World if I recall the name correctly and the only time I ever saw a genuine copy (under glass) of Batman #1 from 1940.

Beware The Satirical Snob Nattikur's Avatar
    London. Always London. There is no place greater.

I love the old architecture, mixed with the new - the beautiful old buildings, standing right beside the glass skyscrapers. I love the history embedded into every street, every corner, every sign.

Being a Londoner, I bypassed the tourist layer - the big named buildings that are marked on maps and handed out at the main stations. It's the small things - the decorations on Baker Street underground station; the beautiful moment you walk past a building and notice a plaque, only to discover that some great mind once lived there. It's the ancient, ancient history that's embedded in this city that makes it beautiful. When tourists visit, they will visit Buckingham Palace or the House of Commons and treat them as if they are preserved relics of the past, but it's not like that - they are still used, still such a passive part of our society. It's that history, the never-changing-ness of it, the everlasting pride us British people feel when presented with our past and heritage, that makes this city, and this whole country really, so darned beautiful.

I recently visited a nice small Latvian town Sigulda. Also known as Baltic's Switzerland, was breathtakingly beautiful.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

I only got to spend a day there but so far I would say Seville, Spain.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12