Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: art and portraits

Lightbulb art and portraits

is there a difference between a genuine portrait of a real person and a made up imaginary one?
    what examples of made up portraits are there?
    and can the artist tell the genuine from the imagined one?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

I suppose it depends on how a 'made up portrait' is defined. Rembrandt certainly didn't have Aristotle sitting for him in this picture. I find it troublesome to think of portraits, or art in general, as either 'genuine' or 'imagined'. Art is artifice, it is never entirely 'genuine', even if there aren't winged children flying around.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cacian, as a French-speaker, will appreciate René Magritte's famous painting The Treachery of Images:

Magritte, when questioned about this, said:

"The famous pipe. How people reproached me for it! And yet, could you stuff my pipe? No, it's just a representation, is it not? So if I had written on my picture 'This is a pipe', I'd have been lying!"

The intention seems to be to provoke the idea that a thing and the image of a thing are not the same.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Matisse famously responded to a woman who was critical of one of his paintings of a woman:

Woman- Monsieur Matisse, that woman's arm is entirely too long.

Matisse- Madame, but you are mistaken. That's not a woman; that's a painting.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To respond to the OP, a portrait is a painting (or drawing, or sculpture) of a specific person. It is usually made from direct observation, but it can be made from memory, or symbolic.

This painting, by Pierre Bonnard, is a portrait of the artist's wife:

Bonnard portrays a young woman bathing... although his wife, Marthe, was by then probably already in her 60s. He paints her as he remembers her... and as he imagines her in his mind's eye.

This portrait is also of the artist's wife... although it was painted some years after Marthe had died. She had an obsession with bathing, often taken 3 or 4 baths a day. The artist remembers her in the tub... as he had seen her so many times... but he also imagines her magically transformed through light and color... and perhaps he even imagines her as a princess enclosed in her sarcophagus within a Byzantine church in which everything seemingly melts away or disintegrates into fragments of light and color dancing across mosaic tiles.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Seated-Woman-Marie-Therese-By-Pablo-Picasso.jpgThat´s a portrait of one of Picasso´s loves. He captures her essence by distorting the image.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 03-11-2016 at 10:36 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Quote Originally Posted by North Star View Post
    I suppose it depends on how a 'made up portrait' is defined. Rembrandt certainly didn't have Aristotle sitting for him in this picture. I find it troublesome to think of portraits, or art in general, as either 'genuine' or 'imagined'. Art is artifice, it is never entirely 'genuine', even if there aren't winged children flying around.

great painting :
    interesting what you have just said i am not sure i understand why troublesome however
    art is genuine because it means something to the artist
    and imagined because art allows one that,
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Cacian, as a French-speaker, will appreciate René Magritte's famous painting The Treachery of Images:

Magritte, when questioned about this, said:

"The famous pipe. How people reproached me for it! And yet, could you stuff my pipe? No, it's just a representation, is it not? So if I had written on my picture 'This is a pipe', I'd have been lying!"

The intention seems to be to provoke the idea that a thing and the image of a thing are not the same.
    could the opposite be true?
    ceci est une pipe?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by stlukesguild View Post
    Matisse famously responded to a woman who was critical of one of his paintings of a woman:

Woman- Monsieur Matisse, that woman's arm is entirely too long.

Matisse- Madame, but you are mistaken. That's not a woman; that's a painting.
    which leads to think what is a painting?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cacian View Post
    could the opposite be true?
    ceci est une pipe?
    Nope. That's the point.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

which leads to think what is a painting?
    Painting is a work of art that is made by applying paint on canvas, wood, stone, or on any other medium.

Quote Originally Posted by North Star View Post
    Painting is a work of art that is made by applying paint on canvas, wood, stone, or on any other medium.
    indeed but
    metaphorically speaking it is more then that.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Nope. That's the point.
    i see. I get the feeling that denying one's owning can be contradictory to art expressive or implosive.
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

indeed but
    metaphorically speaking it is more then that.
    We must not run before we can walk.
    i see. I get the feeling that denying one's owning can be contradictory to art expressive or implosive.
    As usual, I have no idea what you are saying, or trying to say.

Magritte's point is that art is art, it is not reality. You cannot grab the image of a pipe and smoke it. You cannot kill Odysseus and marry Penelope - they only exist as words on paper [and perhaps as images in film adaptations...]. No matter how 'realistically' a work of art is painted or written, it is not real in the sense that they exist in the actual world as anything more than the works of art.

A User, but Registered! tonywalt's Avatar
    Cayman Palms, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    Blog Entries
    I miss these discussions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast