Thread: Brevity

Brevity

Hi everyone. It's been a while, in fact it's been just over one year since I wrote a story. Well, here's one for you. Darker than most, and definitely has adult themes. Since it's about 3500 words, I'll break it on two for easier reading. As always, I will appreciate any comments.

Brevity

Wipada wiped the inside of his Glock 36 slide and receiver clean with a soft cloth and looked over at his partner Noon. Quicker, but less meticulous than Wipada, Noon had already reassembled his matching Glock. He wiped a smudge on the slide with his shirt sleeve and then pulled out the magazine and pulled back the slide, listening to the familiar clicking sounds. With smooth, rapid motions, he pushed six Black Talon cartridges , one after another, into the top of the magazine, snapped it back into the grip, and pulled back and released the slide. Wipada repeated the actions of his partner, but he pressed the shiny silver cartridges with the black bullet more slowly, almost lovingly, into the magazine. He smiled to himself - he knew he would need only one of the cartridges.

Dusk was falling on Bangkok, and with it the dust and grime that hovered in the heat and glare of the sky all day settled to street level, adding to the heaviness and toxicity of the traffic fumes. Inside the small, dim hotel room off Sukhmumvit Soi 42 the tracking device blinked a deep blue color. Noon examined it. The target was still at home, in his apartment eight blocks away. He glanced at his watch and motioned to Wipada. His partner looked down at his own watch and nodded. They had shadowed the target for two weeks. His evening routine was regular. He would be departing his apartment on his motorbike in another 30 minutes, headed west toward the Phra Khanong riverfront.

“I wish I could see you sooner, sweetheart, but I just can’t. I can’t take another furlough until May.”

“I know. Yes, I know that. But I miss you so much.”

“I miss you too, sweetheart. I think about you every day.”

“I don’t want to be here without you. I am a single lady, all alone.”

Tui wiped the sweat from his forehead, folded his step ladder up against the wall, and pressed the “on” button on the remote control. The cool air from the newly installed wall air conditioner blew frigid air down upon his head. He glanced about the room. A king-size bed took up most of the space, partially blocking the door. The dark wood of the make-up vanity next to the bed was sprinkled heavily with talcum powder. A bristle hairbrush, a small bottle of coconut oil, two tubes of lipstick, a vial of blood-colored fingernail polish, several Emory boards and a mascara brush were scattered carelessly across the surface of the table. He picked up the hairbrush and pulled out several fine, long, black strands of hair, fondling them between his fingers. He looked above the dark wooden wardrobe to see a brass, pot-bellied Buddha smiling back at him. On one side of the Buddha was placed an eight-by-ten photograph of King Bhumibol Adulyadej; on the other side was placed an eight-by-ten photograph of a smiling couple at a restaurant. Tui recognized the woman in the photograph as the woman of the house who hired him to install the air-conditioner. The man in the photograph was a foreigner, a farang. Tui grunted.

“Oh, sweetheart. Don’t cry now. The months will go by faster than you think.”

“I’m sorry. I can’t help it. I just feel so all alone.”

“Well, you just remember. You are here in my heart, and I am there with you in your heart. You see? So you’re not alone after all.”

“But it’s not the same. It’s not the same. When you are here, I feel happy - and safe. When you are gone…”

Lamai turned the corner on her motor-scooter and cast a nervous glance down the pot-holed alley toward her tiny home. At five o’clock in the afternoon, the relentless sun had begun to wane in the western sky over the Chatuchack District of Bangkok. As she pulled up to her iron gate, Lamai glanced again behind the banana trees in front of her next door neighbor’s home and at the scrub trees in the vacant lot across the alley. Reassured that no one was lying in wait for her, she dismounted, turned her key in the padlock, and slid the gate open on its rollers. She pushed the motor-scooter inside and quickly closed the padlock behind her. She looked once more up and down the alley before unlocking the front door to her house.

Twenty-three-year-old Lamai had moved to Bangkok two years ago in an effort to remove herself from the dismal life that was her destiny in her home village near the tiny town of Roi Et in eastern Thailand. She had disgraced her family by becoming pregnant while unmarried at the age of 20. When the baby died at childbirth, there was nothing left for Lamai. She decided to move to the city where she could begin life anew. Knowing her soft, vulnerable nature, her friends told her she would never survive the rough and rowdy haunts of Bangkok and urged her instead to set herself up in Udon Thani or Khon Kaen or one of the other towns in the East.

Jared Williams logged out of his online banking website, and logged in to his e-mail account. He typed, “Warner, I just transferred the final installment. I can’t thank you enough for your assistance in all of this.” He wondered if he should say more, but decided that Warner would appreciate brevity as the more prudent course. He hit the “send” button.

Jared sat back in his chair and put his hand up to his mouth. He recalled that he and Warner had served together at Kadena Airbase on Okinawa back when Jared was still a First Lieutenant. Jared was the intellectual, quiet and introverted; Warner was what he himself called “a man of action,” gregarious, and inclined toward adventure. It may have been their difference in temperament that allowed their friendship to flourish. Over the years, they had maintained contact by e-mail and occasional phone calls. Last May, when Jared took his R&R in Thailand, he called Warner, who was now assigned there in counter-intelligence.

Over lunch at the Seafood Market off Sukhumvit 24, Jared knew better than to ask Warner about the details of his assignment. It was Warner who volunteered that he worked closely with the Thai police. And he made an offhand remark that stuck in Jared’s mind - “The Thai police and the Thai mafia are one and the same,” he laughed. “Let’s say you need something done here. If the police can’t do it officially, then you can go talk with them after hours. It will get done. It might cost you some money, but it will get done.”

Noon and Wipada holstered their guns, put on their light leather jackets, and slid silently out the door, leaving it open, and the room completely empty behind them. Once on the street and perched on their motorbikes, they tied purple bandanas around their neck, covering their mouth and nose. As they accelerated down the alley and turned onto the main road, they blended in with the thousands of other motorbikes, automobiles, and tuk-tuks that crowded the streets, horns blaring and exhaust sputtering.

They waited in the shadows a block from the target’s apartment building. They would appear calm and nonchalant to any casual onlooker, but adrenaline was surging in their veins. Noon cast his eyes nervously up and down the alley every half-minute. Wipada was cooler. He did not take his eyes off the apartment building’s garage gate. There! Movement! Wipada was sure it was the target even without checking the tracking device. He was heavy, but not overweight, with an arrogance, and an ugliness, and a dirtiness about him that was unmistakable even a full block away. He turned out of the garage and headed away from the two partners. They waited five seconds, then started their engines and followed five hundred feet behind.

“You are easy to love, sweetheart. But why are you crying so much? Is something else going on? It’s okay, sweetheart. You can tell me anything.”

“You are so sweet for me.”

“I never heard you cry so much before. Come on, sweetheart. Tell me what is on your mind.”

The woman skipped into the room, smiling, happy and carefree. She wore cut-off jeans and a loose, white t-shirt. “Finished already?” she asked. “Oh, that’s just what I need,” she said, clapping her hands in girlish merriment. She stood next to Tui and let the rush of cool air blow her long hair in disordered, velvety streams. “It gets so hot in here at night.”

Tui looked into her face. She was astonishingly beautiful. His eyes dropped lower. Her nipples were clearly visible through her t-shirt. He felt a warmth course through him despite the air conditioning. She’s come in to check on me three times already, he thought to himself. And now this. It’s clear that she wants me. It’s obvious.

The woman closed her eyes and turned her face into the current of cool air. Tui was once again struck by her beauty, the curve of her neck, the fullness of her lips, the arch of her brow, and the suppleness of her body. Her lips parted slightly and curled into a smile. The warmth that Tui felt intensified.

When the woman opened her eyes, they met those of Tui, and she felt an icy chill. He was taller than most Thai men, and heavier. He appeared to be in his mid-to late 40s. She had not paid much attention to him when she let him into her house before - after all, he was just a handy-man - but now she noticed a dirtiness and an ugliness about him. The look on his face was repulsive, and the expression in his eyes was frightening. She suddenly became aware of herself and her own sexuality. She quickly grabbed a thin red sweater that had been lying on the bed and pulled it on over her t-shirt.

To be continued...
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

Brevity (continued)

“It’s nothing. It’s just… It’s just I miss you so much.”

“Sweetheart, I know you very well by now. There is something else bothering you. You don’t want to tell me?”

Lamai had set her sights on Bangkok, however, and contacted a distant cousin who worked at the Chatuchak Market. She quickly found work as a waitress in a coffee shop on Kamphang Phet Road near the market. She rented a two-room house in the middle of a row of attached concrete block houses with tin roofs. Her salary and tips at the coffee shop was sufficient to pay her rent and buy groceries. To earn a little extra, she bought a washing machine and took in laundry from her neighbors. She was pleased with herself when she had saved enough money to purchase a wall-mounted air conditioner for her bedroom.

Lamai closed the door behind her, locked it with her key, turned the deadbolt, and slid the chain door lock into place. She exhaled deeply, and her worried expression gradually eased into one of calm. She turned on the television and walked toward the kitchenette in the back to heat water for tea.

“No. I can’t. Not now.”

“Now you have got me worried. But it’s okay. I’ll try to understand, I wish you would tell me. But okay. I’ll wait. I’ll wait until you are ready.”

“You are so good. Thank you. God only knows what I’d be without you.”

“Okay, well, let’s forget about that. Hey, I forgot to ask you… Did you ever get that air conditioner installed?”

“Sweetheart… Are you there? I can’t hear you. Why are you crying like that?”

“I’m… I’m sorry. Yes. Yes, I got the air conditioner. But that man… That man who put the air conditioner… He… he hurt me.”

Jared sat back in his chair and stared off into space. He recalled that it was the day after his lunch with Warner when he first met Lamai. He had been souvenir shopping at Chatuchak Market in the blistering afternoon heat and stopped in at a coffee shop for some Thai iced coffee to cool off. Jared had never been the romantic type, nor was he the type to go in for the nightlife that Bangkok offered. He was more interested in watching the Thai traditional dancers at the Erewhon Shrine than the go-go dancers on Soi Cowboy, more inclined to visit Buddhist pagodas than beer bars. The last thing Jared expected was to fall in love with a Thai woman - perhaps it was the unexpectedness of the thing that made him fall so hard when it happened.

Jared was the only customer in the coffee shop, so after Lamai brought him his iced coffee, she stood a few paces away in case he wanted to order anything else from the menu. There was something about her - a sweetness, a shyness, a softness - that attracted him instantly, almost urgently. He cast his eyes in her direction several times, and each time he looked at her, he caught her looking at him. And each time it happened, she frowned quickly and turned to look out the window. It happened so often that finally, they both laughed at the game they found themselves playing. Jared called her over, introduced himself in the somewhat gallant manner that came naturally to him, and asked if she would like to have dinner with him.

Two blocks up the alley, the target turned to the right. Wipada drove on past the turn, but checked to make sure the target was still moving and unaware he was being followed. Wipada raised his right hand, a gesture to Noon who turned right. Wipada then circled around and followed closely behind his partner. They knew the target would stay on this street five blocks before turning left onto the road to the riverfront. This was the kill zone - a dark, lonely deserted alley behind a fish packing factory. The stench of fish entrails that had been putrefying in waste vats all day in the furnace of the city could not be expunged, even after the careful scrubbing the vats received at the end of every workday. The stink of the refuse that lay rotting, halfway flushed down the gutters, ensured this particular alley was always empty at night.

“What is it, sweetheart? I can’t understand you. Now, take a deep breath and try to stop crying. Tell me again. What happened?”

“That man… that man. He hurt me. He raped me.”

Tui leered at her and took a step toward her. “No need to cover yourself up, tilak,” he grinned. “You look good in that shirt. I bet you look even better without it.”

The woman was terrified and unable to speak. Tui had stepped between her and the door. She took a step back and found herself trapped between the bed and the vanity. She found herself not only unable to speak, but unable to move, unable even to think. This man advancing toward her - this brute, this utter vulgarity - she was petrified with fear.

Jared sat back in his chair and allowed a smile to approach along with the recollection. After their dinner - he took Lamai to the same seafood restaurant where he had dined the night before with his friend Warner - he and Lamai spent most of the next ten days together. They went to a magic show at one of the shopping malls. At one point, the magician called Jared up out of the audience as a volunteer, and made him feel rather foolish when he appeared to pull a bird from his ear. For the next several days, Lamai would pretend to examine his ear looking for the nest. On another day, one of Bangkok’s stray “soi dogs” snarled and snapped at Lamai as they walked down the sidewalk. She shrieked and Jared rushed up and kicked the dog. It yelped and slunk away. “Are you alright?” he asked breathlessly. Jared remembered how even in those first days, Lamai seemed so vulnerable. She had told him her life story, and he had developed an overwhelming need to protect her. Above all, he wished to keep her away from harm.

Noon and Wipada accelerated at the same rate so that the target would hear only one motorbike behind him. Noon was in the lead now. He checked the license plate of the motorbike now only yards ahead of him. Then he pulled alongside. He took a long look, longer than necessary to confirm it was the target. The target turned his head and glared at Noon. Noon leered back at him. The target was about to say, “What the f**k are you looking at?” when Noon suddenly pulled ahead and raised his right hand. In the next instant, Wipada pulled alongside the target, Glock unholstered. The target had no time to react. Wipada noted the surprised look on his face as he aimed the gun at his nose. When the shot rang out, a soi dog yelped in fright and rats scurried back into their drains. Two motorcycles sped through the night, and a dead man lay in a pool of blood amid the reeking flotsam in an alley behind a fish packing plant.

“Sweetheart, I’m not sure if I heard you right. You’re crying so hard. Did you say he raped you?”

“Yes. I’m so sorry. Please don’t be angry with me. I could not stop him.”

“…another execution-style murder in Bangkok,” she heard the television announcer say. “The victim was shot once in the head while riding his motorcycle in the Klong Toei Slum area. He is identified as Thirayut Kung, also known as Tui, and known to police as a low-level drug dealer...”

Lamai turned and staggered toward the television. One side of a split screen showed several policemen milling around a body lying on a dark road; the other side showed a mug-shot of a man with a large forehead, thinning hair, thick eyebrows, and a swarthy complexion. His dark eyes seemed to peer out from the television screen and look directly at Lamai. A small sound escaped from her lungs, like that of steam from a boiling kettle. The tea-cup she was holding in her hand fell to the floor and shattered.

Tui took her by the shoulders, put his mouth on her neck and kissed and licked. She tried to push him back, but she had absolutely no strength. He pushed her onto the bed and lay on top of her, all the while biting and kissing at her throat. She made small gasping noises, but remained unable to make an intelligible sound. With one hand he held her down by her hair; with the other, he unfastened and pulled down her shorts and panties. Her thoughts were incoherent. It was all happening too fast for her to fully grasp the violence at hand. In an instant, he had penetrated her and she felt his full force. He was ferocious. He bit her cheek viciously. He pulled up her shirt and bit her breasts. She was crying now, sobbing. She strained to turn her face away, but was unable to move her body into any kind of resistance. His passion was fulfilled quickly, but his aggression remained unsatisfied. He sneered and tore at her hair. Then he struck her face with a tremendous blow. Seeing blood trickle from her nose and mouth, he laughed a hideous laugh and struck her again.

Jared sat back in his chair, lost in deep contemplation. It had been so easy - too easy. Yes, he was military and he had been trained to kill the enemy, but his career had been at a desk as an analyst. He had never seen combat. He had never taken a human life until now. And this had been so easy. Lamai knew her attacker’s name and phone number. That was all the information he needed to pass on to Warner. A phone call. A couple of e-mails. A few clicks of the mouse to transfer money. Jared felt detached from the entire operation. He knew he had directed it, but he felt in some way as if he had no connection to it at all. It had taken fifteen days - just fifteen days from when he first called Warner for help. Then today he received the e-mail: “The target has been eliminated.” That was Warner’s style - brevity.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

You're right, it has been awhile, but time has certainly not diminished the quality of your writing.

The experience gained as a result of your professional, international postings is evident in this piece. All of the descriptions relating to the setting, from the stifling heat of a small and close Tai apartment to the stench of the fish processing plant, were described to this reader with palpable effectiveness. The introductory paragraphs evoke interest and questions in the mind of the reader without divulging enough to mark a plot, as a result the reader is drawn in and wishes to learn more - nicely done! I also liked the device of bouncing the action of the story both in terms of its timeline and characters. This was at first a bit confusing but I soon determined what you were doing and this added a new and spicy flavor to the piece. Your description of the mechanics involved in the perpetration of the "hit" were totally believable owing to the detail with which it was presented including the verification of the target by one person with the assault committed by the other after a "go" signal was given.

I have absolutely no negative criticism of this piece. It was nicely rendered and very much enjoyed. Many thanks for sharing!