Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: asking for recommendations of Russian literature (fiction + non-fiction) & poetry

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mortalterror View Post
    1965 Rabelais and His World by Mikhael Bakhtin
    Just a link about the non fictional Rabelais and His World
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabelais_and_His_World
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

Daniil Kharms
    Vasily Rozanov
    Lev Shestov
    Vladimir Mayakovsky
    Aleksey Remizov
    Vlas Doroshevich
    Boris Zaytsev
    Last edited by EmptySeraph; 04-15-2016 at 03:23 PM.

That list is perhaps more Russian than any of the other lists but it includes a few right nutters. I have never taken to poster-boy Mayakovsky. Remizov is interesting. But Rozanov and Kharms are on the fringes of sanity. I don't know much about the others.

Eiseabhal
    I've just come in from the lambing, Ennison. I am too tired to sleep. The North East wind is bitter today. I turned this on and saw your comment about Kharms. He was an absurdist not a lunatic. You should try him again.

Ok Eiseabhal. I take your point but take Shestov. Now that's a cove who influenced Bataille. A f----r who believed in human sacrifice! Now we are on the fringes of normal human behaviour surely. My own lambing finished two weeks ago but you with your massive flocks are no doubt out till all hours just now. I was sorry you didn't make it to the DM memorial. I had left before Mr McCallum's sad demise.

The thing is Shestov had a great influence on the whole Eastern Europe, not merely Paris and its literary circles. You can find in Exercices d'amiration, by E.M. Cioran, in the essay dedicated to Benjamin Fondane, that the poet, whom had studied Shestov intensively, was surprised to find out the Romanians read Shestov even more than the French do, and that his ideas were assimilated by a far larger public than the popular opinion (usually formed in Paris) thought.

Interesting. Could you tell a bit more about the last two on your list.

you can consider ,,,,, Dimitry Gregorovitsh, The Fisherman ,,,, 370 Pages excellent reading

Blog Entries
    I read Dostoyevsky's Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment online here and liked C&P very much, Brothers less so mostly due to a dislike for almost all of the characters and the ending was rather strange. Have also read War and Peace and Anna Karenina online. To be frank I felt War and Peace was overrated and wildly uneven in the writing. I think Tolstoy simply bit off more then he could chew. There are some brilliant chapters and fine writing then extended sections -especially the 'war' portion that seemed flat and aimless. However with Anna he has a smaller plot and firm hand on things and definitely liked this book a lot. Just one man's opinion--I dislike Hamlet for similar reasons but fond of Macbeth so go figure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12