Thread: Best way to find contemporary literature

Best way to find contemporary literature

Hello Literature Network,

It's been a while! I have a question for you guys. Normally I dislike seeing people use this forum purely as some sort of homework help, but I am entering unexplored terrain and I could use some advice from people who are experienced with reading a lot. Plus this could help beyond my current project.

To cut to the chase: I am about to write my thesis and I want to analyse contemporary English fiction of a certain theme. (In this particular case I really mean literature from England but normally I would be interested in English language fiction more generally.) I already read about one novel that would be suitable, but I need at least one or two more. The question is: what is the best way or place for someone to find recent fiction which contains subject matter relevant to one's interests? The one way I have been able to think of is look at Booker Prize nominees or short/longlists and browsing through the synopses to see if there is anything there. However, that would only provide a very selective picture; Booker novels don't comprise all of the rich literature that is out there.

I chose not to reveal the topic of my thesis (yet) as I want to challenge myself and endeavour to find works myself; I felt like if I said what I was looking for, people might hand me some novel suggestions on a silver plate. That would be nice, but I need to learn to do my own research!

Regards,

Evo
    Without any form of punctuation, our language would not say "I'm perfect"; it would say "imperfect".

"Access to works of art cannot be defined solely in terms of physical accessibility, since works of art exist only for those who have the means of understanding them."

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe check out the New York Times book reviews. They are pretty good at covering a good chunk of contemporary literature.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Contemporary is a bit of a vague term. Do you mean published within the last 5, 10, 15 or even 25 years?

Granta Magazine would probably be as good a place as any to look. They have their Best British novelist issue every ten years, and their short stories are quite good.

Short/long lists for Booker, Costa and Richard & Judy's selection could also lead you into some interesting places. Alternatively the Times/A N Other Bestsellers list.