Thread: Indian Poetry

Indian Poetry

Hi!

I'd like to start a personal study of Indian poetry, but I'm a little unsure where I should start. Could anybody recommend any anthologies, or any particular poets? I'm interested in Indian poetry from all eras.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    The only poem I know is the Bhagavad Gita and that through translation. I assume it is a poem.

Blog Entries
    Bhakti poetry has been a rich and diverse tradition of Poetry in India. Kabir, Rahim, Tulsi, Namdeo, Tukaram have been major proponents. Urdu and Persian poetry from seventeenth century onward is also widely read. Major proponents have been Ghalib, Mir, Zauq and later Allama Iqbal and Faiz Ahmed Faiz. There are more than 15 official languages in the country and about 300 vernaculars. So you need to be more specific about your expectations and interest. The Oxford Indian Anthology of twelve Modern Indian Poets edited by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra is an anthology of Indian poetry in the English language. Translations of Indian poetry in English are good too.
    Last edited by dark desire; 01-27-2016 at 06:11 AM.
    Being taken literally, is like being sent to hell LITERALLY.

“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've got three Bengali friends, and they're all obsessed with Rabindranath Tagore. From what I've heard of his poetry, which is in translation of course, he seems like a great artist.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche