Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cold, and what you do about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    Sweden is a very big country, over 1,500 km north to south, as well a being thinly populated. The last 5 years have been mild, but this year we are having a cold winter, lots of snow (about 2 feet deep here in southern Norrland), with temperatures round minus 20 to -10 celsius. I can't go out in -15 as with a wonky ticker I struggle to breathe. Many days indoors all day. But I love to watch the light change and the sun rising and setting: very pretty.
    Sounds beautiful. I've been to your lovely country, but in summer. My niece just arrived in neighboring Denmark to do a semester in Copenhagen studying environmental things. Boy I love that city. Anyway, those temps you mention, ouch! Even without the bum ticker, that's tough. And I stay inside all day anyway. ;-)
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    I watch those. I have a Swedish candle prepared in case I need a cuppa after the apocalypse.
    Wise man. Life without a cuppa is scant worth living. I myself just acquired some emergency fire making materials. I've never actually used my wood stove as an actual stove, but if need be I could boil water that way. Any particular YouTubers you watch, Pren?

Blog Entries
    No not really, Peter Friebel on survival tracker is the man, but I tend to search by subject, like "post apocalypse tea making".
    ay up

Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post
    No not really, Peter Friebel on survival tracker is the man, but I tend to search by subject, like "post apocalypse tea making".
    Heh, and I'll bet there are some. The post-apocalypse and survivalist thing has been going on so long now that you see videos like "Improved Atlatl making, part 2" or "Wattle and daub hut making." ;-)

Well, lads, this is it, if you live in the northeast, anyway. It's bleedin' cold already and going down to 25 to 30 below zero this weekend. I'd like to take this opportunity to say blimey. I've done my grocery shopping and brought in some wood for the old stove. I shall be hunkering down for the duration. Who else is currently beset by this winter siege?

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    That is cold, Tyrion. Here we have cold snaps like that but winters are mercifully short. Its a different story 800 miles north of here well above the Arctic Circle...

Blog Entries
    It is around midnight and 6 degrees Fahrenheit which is above 0 but below freezing which is 32 degrees. If I remember correctly. I don't know what that converts to in Celsius.

6 Fahrenheit is about 14.4 celsius. Just about at the limit of what I can do outside for a short while in full winter clothing, its the old ticker that makes it hard to do.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm discovering that the house I currently live in is damn cold. Having the central heating on full blast doesn't seem to make much of a difference, except to the gas bill. I've seen phoneboxes with better insulation than this place.

Still, lots of people wear three jumpers at the same time - right?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Its a problem especially in the UK where it is damp and often-just single glazed.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Right now it's 43 degrees Fahrenheit where I live, with a high of 66. Yesterday it was in the 70's. We think winter might be over. Kind of sorry not to get a snow day; on the other hand, I will be going to the dog park this afternoon and I'm looking forward to enjoying a warm, sunny afternoon.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Winter might be over in mid-February, that's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    Still, lots of people wear three jumpers at the same time - right?
    If the jumpers are all young, female and attractive. A lot of the jumpers the fire department rescues around here are fat guys named named Lou.

We are now in the middle of what Swedes call Spring-Winter (Vårvinter). This lasts from February to early March in Southern Norrland.

Blog Entries
    it's only minus 3 on the Celsius at the moment but there was a decent storm yesterday and the day before. Still winter on the ice for sure.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast