Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the first book you remember reading?

Which is the first book you remember reading?

Which is the first book you remember reading?
    and how has it influenced your life?
    Last edited by Catherine.L; 01-16-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Books were read to me but the first I read by myself was Biggles Learns to Fly. Well it made me a reader.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, my dad read a whole lot of 'grown-up' books to me but the first one I remember reading on my own and I read it 19 times in a row (I remember cause I had to return it to the library every time and take it out again) was Black Beauty. I loved that book, but I haven't read it since or in over 20 years, maybe it's time to read it to my son.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't remember the first book I read. But then, I don't remember a time when I wasn't a keen reader.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

The first book I read was "Notes from Underground". I was 17 years old back then.
    I couldn't understand much but I remember that I had uneasy sleep for a week trying to understand what Dostoevsky was trying to say.
    I still wonder...
    Last edited by Catherine.L; 01-17-2016 at 08:18 AM.

I only remember reading the 'readers' that we started off with. I don't remember which proper storybook I read first.

Catherine, did you not read any children's books?
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

This is a good question! No, I don't remember me having read any children book which is a shame...
    My parents didn't like books...They thought (and still think) that reading is a waste of time and money.
    But one day somebody brought to my mother as a birthday present Dostoevsky's book!!! She got so angry! She didn't like it at all!
    And she said to me: "Do you want it or should I throw it away?"
    Of course I kept the book and I am glad I did that!

Since then, I coudn't stop reading

Astounding! It is difficult for me to imagine growing up without books, but recently Hubby's 75 year old uncle confessed that he'd read only one book in his life other than the Bible - Eric, or, Little by Little (I'd never heard of it). To go from complete inexperience to liking Dostoevsky is remarkable!

I think the first book I read may have been Little Black Sambo. I thought it was charming but many, many years later I re-encountered in a website for banned books.
    Last edited by mona amon; 01-18-2016 at 12:26 AM.
    Exit, pursued by a bear.

Registered User Jackson Richardson's Avatar
    The first book I bought and read was Enid Blyton's The Rockingdown Mystery. I re-read it recently for interest, but she churned out hundreds of books on the same formula.
    Previously JonathanB

The more I read, the more I shall covet to read. Robert Burton The Anatomy of Melancholy Partion3, Section 1, Member 1, Subsection 1

The first book I remember reading (by myself) was Prince Caspian - part of C S Lewis' Narnia Saga at age 9.

I got it as an Xmas present from an Aunt.

I enjoyed it, and started devouring books after that.

Blog Entries
    I read all of the Hardy Boys series of mysteries in the rural library, but they couldn't have been the first books. We did have a book of Mother Goose rhymes and some Disney picture books that my mother read to me. They were probably the ones I first read by myself. There were also the Dick and Jane books from school. As I recall there weren't many books available and the library was 20 miles away from the farm where I grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    I read all of the Hardy Boys series of mysteries in the rural library, but they couldn't have been the first books. We did have a book of Mother Goose rhymes and some Disney picture books that my mother read to me. They were probably the ones I first read by myself. There were also the Dick and Jane books from school. As I recall there weren't many books available and the library was 20 miles away from the farm where I grew up.
    I remember reading a whole load of the Hardy Boys when I was an adolescent. They don't seem to be as around as much as they were in the 80's. Have they fallen out of fashion, or are they more popular elsewhere. (I'm in England).

Blog Entries
    I don't see them anymore except in antique shops. There were also Nancy Drew mystery stories which had a similar format. I remember reading some of them as well. The library had a small corner for books like that. I went back to see that old building some years ago. It had been converted into a museum since it was one of the historic buildings Carnegie money funded in the early 20th century. I was amazed at how small it was. The current library in the town is larger.

My children read Harry Potter at about the same age I was reading those mystery novels.

I remember C S Lewis's, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". One of my classmates was reading it, but I didn't read it until I was an adult and out of school. Or at least I don't remember reading it at that time.
    Last edited by YesNo; 01-27-2016 at 10:59 AM.

"The Wind in the Willows" and "Treasure Island" I remember reading aged about eight, nine, or ten. Also a few Dr Who novels - "The Horror of Fang Rock" by Terrance Dicks being the most memorable, (this was the Tom Baker era that I grew up in ;-)). I seem to remember that "The War of the Worlds" left an impression upon me as well...

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The first book I remember reading was a Dick and Jane book in school. I still remember Sally on the front porch eating a carrot like a bunny.

That was in first grade. By second grade I was reading more challenging books. I remember reading a book called "The Triumph of Janice Babson," about a little girl who got leukemia and died. What was memorable about her was that she want to donate her organs even before she fell ill and died. I believe she was able to donate her eyes to someone. She was very young at the time, maybe around my age.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast