Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: BBC's War and Peace

Blog Entries

BBC's War and Peace

I watched the first episode last night and thought it was great. When a favourite book gets adapted it can be a disappointment, but so far so good. The sets and costumes were appropriately lush, the women were beautiful, the men strutted around properly. The casting of Pierre was perfect, the young Natasha was suitably gauche-but-just-about-to-blossom, and Jim Broadbent was in it. , so what's not to like?
    ay up

I'm loving it too. One of the few down notes is Natasha. I don't get the appeal of the actress. I'm loving Paul Dano and pretty much the rest of the cast. Rebecca Front played a blinder in the first episode and virtually stole the episode. I don't like Anatole much either, and I know I'm not supposed to, but he wouldn't attract me in the slightest - he's so obviously a rotter, and not very attractive at all. I love Tom Burke, he is so damn bad and sexy! I can see his attraction.......Looking forward to the last episode tomorrow, but why only six of them for a massive book? I believe Andrew Davies has now said he should have done eight episodes. I would have said more. Dickensian has twenty, so that relates to ten if you view them as hour long ones. How can WAP get away with only six?

Blog Entries
    I thought the whole thing was brilliant - the best thing I've seen for ages. Andrew Davies is now officially a genius. He did it in 6 episodes and yet never seemed rushed - he even found time to put in all that freemasonry stuff . It was full of beautiful lingering shots just when they were needed. The sonorous Russian music was wonderful. I agree Paul Dano was the pick of a very good cast, he was outstanding, I have never been able to envisage Pierre properly before now, but he was perfect. Perhaps Lily James was better as a mature Natasha than the young one, but I found her very appealing myself. - I might have to go and see her in P&P and Zombies
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 02-07-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    ay up

I loved it, and am not ashamed to say I shed a few tears. I agree that Natasha was probably better when mature. I still think there might have been more accomplished actresses out there to choose from, but never mind. I'm going to buy the dvd to wallow in it again. Still loving Paul Dano, Tom Burke and pretty much all of them. I have to wonder if there is a BBC repertory company as there seemed to be a few crossovers with Dickensian - Stephen Rea, Tuppence Middleton and the peasant with the dog, who I believe was Barbary. I wonder when they were both filmed and if they got mixed up with characters! Anyway, great stuff!

Started watching last night, and when I looked up I'd watched four episodes. Awesome. I'll say more when I've watched the whole thing.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

Right-O. I finished watching it last night. Cor blimey, that was good. Riveting. Superior. Flawless. I got so lost in it I forgot I was watching, and it just flowed. Leaves me hungry for more fare of that caliber.
    Obsessed with facial symmetry.

Yes, really enjoyed this also. Great production.

I've seen and enjoyed the earlier 20-part, 15-hour BBC serial with Anthony Hopkins. Has anyone seen both versions? I'd be interested in hearing how they compare.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi