Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your best book of 2015.

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention The Trip to Echo Spring by Olivia Laing and Tracks by Robyn Davidson. Both great books.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Going for Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse. A quick read, and surprised me because of the many turns the character does. It kinda reminded me of myself. The different side to the book is that the history is loaded with Buddhism, but that does not takes the brilliantism of the work in any ways.

Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff. I picked it up in the bookstore and read the first page and couldn't put it down. Also, something called Dream of Evil but i can't remember who wrote it.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Translate View Post
    Going for Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse. A quick read, and surprised me because of the many turns the character does. It kinda reminded me of myself. The different side to the book is that the history is loaded with Buddhism, but that does not takes the brilliantism of the work in any ways.
    That's one I read recently, it was good, but I could only read it as a story, I couldn't follow the deeper level stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
    Forgot to mention The Trip to Echo Spring by Olivia Laing and Tracks by Robyn Davidson. Both great books.
    Hang on a minute there Fifth! That's about twenty, and I thought I was pushing the rules a bit with two!

Which would you want with you on that old familiar desert Island?
    ay up

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prendrelemick View Post

Hang on a minute there Fifth! That's about twenty, and I thought I was pushing the rules a bit with two!

Which would you want with you on that old familiar desert Island?
    Well I do read a lot of books, and 2015 was an excellent reading year so it is very hard to choose. On the fiction front it would be a tie between The Names and the Neapolitan series (which, technically, is 4 books in itself) because both are deep, filled with meaning and would warrant/deserve more than one reading. For non-fiction Tracks might be quite handy if stranded on a desert island!
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

I have read so many books and it is really very difficult to decide which one is my favorite. i like to read thrillers and horrors and one of my favorites is Dracula, a Gothic horror novel by Bram Stoker.The character of Dracula is beautifully portrayed and the novel tells the story of a Dracula's attempt to move to other place in search of blood. Bram Stoker’s Dracula is a masterpiece that empathetically highlights the insecurities of women in a patriarchal society. Published in 1897, Dracula was Bram’s greatest literary achievement that explores the feminist overtones.

Blog Entries
    The modern trend of critiquing classic books from a feminist angle is long overdue and I think has given a new impetus to Literature in general. I never thought of Dracula like that before.

Another book I read this year (for about the 3rd time) was Treasure Island. A great classic adventure. There's a scene where Jim's mother tells him she is going to feint in terror, and then does so. That is just about the only contribution by a female to the plot. This time it really jarred me out of the story, yet I hadn't particularly noticed it before.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 01-06-2016 at 08:19 AM.
    ay up

you know, to pick up on the feminist notion a bit---by contrast, when I read books, or more likely, when I watch movies that have a strong female character who is on par with her male counterparts in terms of physicality, the girl power thing loses just a smidgen of its luster for me.

I do love seeing strong female leads, for instance, Emily blunt in the edge of tomorrow was fantastic, and i'll watch alice (milla jovovich) in resident evil and be thrilled with her exploits. I really like Irene kennedy in the vince Flynn/mitch rapp books and how can one not like katniss in the hunger games, Hermione in harry potter, bella swan in twilight and tris in divergent. but when Angelina jolie and brad pitt more or less spar equally in mr and mrs smith, or kate beckinsale (major crush!) and colin Farrell do so in total recall, im a little tempted to let go of my willing suspension of disbelief.

I wont go so far as to suggest those sorts of interactions do more harm than good, but at the very least, well, thatd be a great topic to study...

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure where this new idea that "strong female character" means 'physically' strong in the literal sense, but, yes, it's pretty stupid.
    So with the courage of a clown, or a cur, or a kite jerkin tight at it's tether

clopin! where have you been??

I was myself wondering the same but these young fellas they go walkabout sometimes.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Mine has to be The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer. A big book, but I read it twice!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff. I picked it up in the bookstore and read the first page and couldn't put it down. Also, something called Dream of Evil but i can't remember who wrote it.
    Fascinating! Strange how the memory plays tricks on one. Perhaps it's true what Barthes said about the relative importance of the author in relation to the work, which might be seen to take on a life of its own...

Blog Entries
    I never remember who the author is when I'm reading on the e-reader. Proper books have their name on the cover bigger than the title nowadays.
    ay up

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    I don't use an e-reader, an old stick-in-the-mud...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast