Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Do I Go to Talk about My Writing?

Post Where Do I Go to Talk about My Writing?

I hope you'll all forgive me, but I'm just going to jump right into this.

As a writer it is occassionally pretty helpful to get other people's opinions on something you've written, an idea you've thought of, etc. Not to mention it can be rather fun and exciting to tell people about your latest idea, show them your latest bit of prose, etc. But I'm always rather worried, considering how important my writing is to me, that pieces of prose or ideas will be stolen by other people. Now when it's just a paragraph, that doesn't bother me too much. But when it's a chapter or, especially, an idea or set of ideas that bothers me tremendously. It bothers me to the point that I have mostly stopped saying anything specific about my writing to anyone, even when I think that would be helpful and even to people I've known for a long time in real life (especially since they're usually writers themselves).

So I was wondering, does anyone else have this problem? And if you do, do you know of any way to get passed it? Such as some sort of legal safeguard which will protect the copyright of whatever you say? A contract that another person can sign if necessary?

Blog Entries
    When working for companies I have had to sign non-disclosure agreements or acknowledge that my employer owns any intellectual property I might have created on the job in exchange for compensation I receive. To enforce this they usually provide their own computers on which that intellectual property is created. To make sure I am in compliance and not to compromise anything I might do outside that employment, I put nothing personal on their computers and make sure they are locked when I am not using them. I would also not attempt to access their data with my own computer. I also don't attempt creating derivative works on my personal computer of intellectual property of that company.

I sometimes post poems on places like Lit Net. I am not worried that they will be stolen. In a sense posting something with a date stamp establishes a priority like a publication would.

Other people's opinions are valuable. They need to be cited if they are used to give proper credit to the author. I would be more concerned with someone else thinking I stole something they contributed than I am about someone stealing something I might have thought of. That might be because I haven't thought of anything that I suspect is original enough or valuable enough to be worried about protecting.
    Last edited by YesNo; 12-27-2015 at 09:11 AM.

I agree with YesNo that posting on this Forum is probably safe since it has a date stamp. I've seen some people use the copyright symbol © when posting here. I'm not sure that placing that symbol would provide as much or more legal protection than having the date stamp.

I've really never worried much about anyone stealing my writing or ideas, but then I've always been a bit naïve when it comes to trusting other people. Anyway, I would think that somehow attaching a date stamp to your writing/ideas would be sufficient to establish authorship. There's probably a number of simple ways of doing that, perhaps something like just emailing your writing to yourself.
    A just conception of life is too large a thing to grasp during the short interval of passing through it.
    Thomas Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    When working for companies I have had to sign non-disclosure agreements or acknowledge that my employer owns any intellectual property I might have created on the job in exchange for compensation I receive. To enforce this they usually provide their own computers on which that intellectual property is created. To make sure I am in compliance and not to compromise anything I might do outside that employment, I put nothing personal on their computers and make sure they are locked when I am not using them. I would also not attempt to access their data with my own computer. I also don't attempt creating derivative works on my personal computer of intellectual property of that company.

I sometimes post poems on places like Lit Net. I am not worried that they will be stolen. In a sense posting something with a date stamp establishes a priority like a publication would.

Other people's opinions are valuable. They need to be cited if they are used to give proper credit to the author. I would be more concerned with someone else thinking I stole something they contributed than I am about someone stealing something I might have thought of. That might be because I haven't thought of anything that I suspect is original enough or valuable enough to be worried about protecting.
    Well, I've spent many years of my life creating some of the things I'm working on and some of them I really like. So certainly I am worried about that and not about any contribution they may have made, because for one thing usually it's only opinions on what I've done and secondly there's usually not much of a record or anything like that.

But anyway, so you're suggesting what? That I make friends of mine sign a non-disclosure agreement before they can hear about my stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by 108 fountains View Post
    I agree with YesNo that posting on this Forum is probably safe since it has a date stamp. I've seen some people use the copyright symbol © when posting here. I'm not sure that placing that symbol would provide as much or more legal protection than having the date stamp.

I've really never worried much about anyone stealing my writing or ideas, but then I've always been a bit naïve when it comes to trusting other people. Anyway, I would think that somehow attaching a date stamp to your writing/ideas would be sufficient to establish authorship. There's probably a number of simple ways of doing that, perhaps something like just emailing your writing to yourself.
    I'm not actually talking about posting on forums necessarily here, more about talking to people I know IRL about this stuff. I'm always worried that if me and one of those people ever drifted apart, got into a huge fight, etc. that they could use this information against me or if they just didn't care enough about my relationship with them and ripped me off.

Well, that may very well be true for a chapter in its entirety. But you can't just copyright an idea in this way, unfortunately. And trust me, I've looked into that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OneOnOne1162 View Post
    Well, I've spent many years of my life creating some of the things I'm working on and some of them I really like. So certainly I am worried about that and not about any contribution they may have made, because for one thing usually it's only opinions on what I've done and secondly there's usually not much of a record or anything like that.

But anyway, so you're suggesting what? That I make friends of mine sign a non-disclosure agreement before they can hear about my stuff?
    Some couples have pre-nuptials to protect them in case something goes wrong with the marriage.

Personally, I rely on forums such as this where the chit-chat helps inspire ideas. I am not worried about someone stealing anything.

Some couples have pre-nuptials to protect them in case something goes wrong with the marriage.

Personally, I rely on forums such as this where the chit-chat helps inspire ideas. I am not worried about someone stealing anything.
    Wouldn't I need a lawyer for that and whatnot?

Blog Entries
    Probably. I am not sure that it is worth the bother. It is also not just someone stealing from you, but you stealing from those offering their opinions to you, or worst, simply their belief that you have stolen something. It goes both ways.

Probably. I am not sure that it is worth the bother. It is also not just someone stealing from you, but you stealing from those offering their opinions to you, or worst, simply their belief that you have stolen something. It goes both ways.
    Well, but a contract can say pretty much anything you both agree on, no? It doesn't necessarily have to be a standard non-disclosure. But in other words you don't know how I would go about doing this?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Funny you should ask that because I always thought that without copyright protection our works were very well safe until one day in 2009 my half-finished first novel was lifted. Along with that unfinished erotic horror thriller were a few short stories I wrote for practice and some tattoo designs I drew up myself. Although I am confident that the writing was as good as I could do it, I doubt that what I authored was plagiarized. It was quite the blow to my attitude to say the least as I used a great deal of time and energy writing it.

I suggest you attend a writer's workshop or a literature convention. There's plenty of them all around the United States. Other than that if you don't have family or friends who are interested in reading and critiquing your work there are literary agents who do so for a nominal fee as side work, you'll have to look around on the internet to find them. I personally tend to not be so self-conscious of my writing as you describe yourself. Perhaps if the ideas bother you to that degree maybe you should choose to write about another subject matter not so personal and effectual to your well-being. Using sensitive material to draw readers in is alright, but if it's going to engulf you in neurosis I think that it's better if you let it go and try something on the lighter side of life.
    Last edited by New Secret; 03-29-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Blog Entries
    I can say I've had my stuff stolen, TWICE! I was googling a story and saw the name listed but half of the text was in Chinese! I clicked on that link, and found the story was illustrated as well! Three photos were added to the story She Ain't You. They were pirating The Guardian too. The site was called Yee Yang or something like that and was a sharing site used by Chinese. Since it wasn't just one person or company you had no particular person to sue. Then they did page one of one of my imitation Sherlock Homes stories.

Seems like when someone lifts your stuff internationally you have less options for justice. So me, I'm the idiot puts in the copywrite sign now. Fat lot of good it will do me.

The internet is a new frontier folks. It's wild and woolly and often without justice. It's the good, the bad, and the ugly of our modern world. You're a writing-from-the heart gambler, and you take your chances. If you're too chicken to take them, you take your best shot.

https://youtu.be/h1PfrmCGFnk The Good, the bad, the Ugly

Blog Entries
    Here's something about copyright in the 19th century: http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/...pva/pva75.html

Quote Originally Posted by New Secret View Post
    Funny you should ask that because I always thought that without copyright protection our works were very well safe until one day in 2009 my half-finished first novel was lifted. Along with that unfinished erotic horror thriller were a few short stories I wrote for practice and some tattoo designs I drew up myself. Although I am confident that the writing was as good as I could do it, I doubt that what I authored was plagiarized. It was quite the blow to my attitude to say the least as I used a great deal of time and energy writing it.

I suggest you attend a writer's workshop or a literature convention. There's plenty of them all around the United States. Other than that if you don't have family or friends who are interested in reading and critiquing your work there are literary agents who do so for a nominal fee as side work, you'll have to look around on the internet to find them. I personally tend to not be so self-conscious of my writing as you describe yourself. Perhaps if the ideas bother you to that degree maybe you should choose to write about another subject matter not so personal and effectual to your well-being. Using sensitive material to draw readers in is alright, but if it's going to engulf you in neurosis I think that it's better if you let it go and try something on the lighter side of life.

Well, I don't live in the United States... but aside from that, why would my ideas be any more protected by any of those options?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hunley View Post
    I can say I've had my stuff stolen, TWICE! I was googling a story and saw the name listed but half of the text was in Chinese! I clicked on that link, and found the story was illustrated as well! Three photos were added to the story She Ain't You. They were pirating The Guardian too. The site was called Yee Yang or something like that and was a sharing site used by Chinese. Since it wasn't just one person or company you had no particular person to sue. Then they did page one of one of my imitation Sherlock Homes stories.

Seems like when someone lifts your stuff internationally you have less options for justice. So me, I'm the idiot puts in the copywrite sign now. Fat lot of good it will do me.

The internet is a new frontier folks. It's wild and woolly and often without justice. It's the good, the bad, and the ugly of our modern world. You're a writing-from-the heart gambler, and you take your chances. If you're too chicken to take them, you take your best shot.

https://youtu.be/h1PfrmCGFnk The Good, the bad, the Ugly
    I'm not posting my stuff publically on the internet... so not sure how this is relevant.

Also, I'd say if you really wanted to you probably could sue whatever corporation was making money off of it. As soon as something is on the internet and clearly under your name it's copyrighted. You'd have to get a lawyer and whatnot of course, and it'd be difficult but you could. Definitely if they were making money off of it. Of course, whether that would be worth it in your case is quite another question.

Here's something about copyright in the 19th century: http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/...pva/pva75.html
    The 19th century? I think you're a few centuries behind... >.<

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast