Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Dickensian.

Blog Entries

Dickensian.

On the BBC on Boxing day. A mish mash of dickensian characters in a single drama. So why was Miss Haversham jilted? Who killed Jacob Marley? (My money's on Bill Sykes!) If it's no good you can still play a which book is she or he in drinking game.
    Last edited by prendrelemick; 12-24-2015 at 05:09 AM.
    ay up

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've not had a chance to watch any of it yet. Is it any good? Looks a bit soap opera-y for my tastes...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Yer a bit soapy I have to say.
    ay up

I'm really liking it. However, the beeb has not served it well. It's been all over the place in the schedules. How on earth do they expect to gain a loyal audience when they can't give it a regular day and time? I'm assuming they are banking on dvd sales to make it worthwhile. I particularly enjoyed Mrs Gamp and have had a few laugh out loud moments with her and Wegg. I also liked the Bumbles, and the mention of "little Bumble", and am loving the villainy of Compeyson. I've actually started reading Havisham by Ronald Frame, to get yet another take on the poor old girl. Can't beat a bit of Dickens, albeit through his characters. It says a lot for his greatness that you can watch an original tv piece based on his characters assuming they are so well-known that they will register with casual viewers.

Hello, not posted in a while, still too busy with chess, but me and Mrs Neely really enjoyed this and the War and Peace too, very enjoyable.